DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does my cat chew my props?

slozukimc

Reactions
I want to choke his furry little butt!! Loki has chewed 8 out of 12 props on my S900!! Not like I can just take those off and stash them away to keep them safe like most. I am going to find a storage tote it will fit in as a Pelican case is crazy expensive.

But what is the attraction? Do they think they are bird wings? I catch both him and Oliver sniffing and chewing at props on all sorts of drones. I even caught Loki headed for the wooden blade 450 heli props. I thought maybe it was a plastic smell they like until then.

Loki will duck a little and run away when a drone is close. Oliver will set up and try to swat it out of the air. He casually walked over and swatted my micro drone out of the air and walked away like “mission accomplished”.

Mike

I want to choke his furry little butt!! Loki has chewed 8 out of 12 props on my S900!! Not like I can just take those off and stash them away to keep them safe like most. I am going to find a storage tote it will fit in as a Pelican case is crazy expensive.

But what is the attraction? Do they think they are bird wings? I catch both him and Oliver sniffing and chewing at props on all sorts of drones. I even caught Loki headed for the wooden blade 450 heli props. I thought maybe it was a plastic smell they like until then.

Loki will duck a little and run away when a drone is close. Oliver will set up and try to swat it out of the air. He casually walked over and swatted my micro drone out of the air and walked away like “mission accomplished”.

Mike
Cats chew on things because it feels good on their teeth, and perhaps for other reasons. Your going to have to find a place t store your props so your cat cannot get to them or continue to buy lots of replacements as I would not fly with a chewed prop

Cats chew on things because it feels good on their teeth, and perhaps for other reasons. Your going to have to find a place t store your props so your cat cannot get to them or continue to buy lots of replacements as I would not fly with a chewed prop
Yeah. But why props in particular? They don’t seem to bother much else, occasionaly a rx wire might catch attention but they sniff, rub and chew props.

I am searching for a tote the right size. The S900 isn’t something I can just remove props for storage.

I agree, flying with a chewed prop is a sketchy as cats behavior. I just ordered a bunch of aftermarket props for the S900. I hope they are good as the dji ones are like hens teeth.

Mike

They do those things. I have a Norwegian Forest cat that loves to chew up my USB charging cables. I ordered a bunch through Amazon. He's a spoiled brat.

Yeah. But why props in particular? They don’t seem to bother much else, occasionaly a rx wire might catch attention but they sniff, rub and chew props.

I am searching for a tote the right size. The S900 isn’t something I can just remove props for storage.

I agree, flying with a chewed prop is a sketchy as cats behavior. I just ordered a bunch of aftermarket props for the S900. I hope they are good as the dji ones are like hens teeth.

Mike
There is no real rhythm or reason to it, perhaps because they are thin and accessible to chew on, if you hide them, it will probably find something else to chew on. Cables perhaps if accessible. Mine tries to chew on power cords (Disconnected ones) and have to shoo her away from them.. For the most part, she does not do that a lot and seems to have stopped.

Reactions: slozukimc
Evolution, cats kill-eat birds. Drones fly so must be birds. Hide one or the other. Have fun with that

Would not covering the drone with a blanket or towel prevent him getting at your props until you can find a better solution?

Reactions: umanbean
Trying to understand a cat is worse/harder than trying to understand a woman.
There are options though.
Water pistol
Rubber band gun
Ofcourse, the already mentioned hot sauce.
Last resort, a taser. < that's a joke.

Solution:
Get rid of the cats :D

I am searching for a tote the right size.
Good, get one big enough for both cats... put 'em on Craigslist, tote included... they ought to go fast! 🤣

Reactions: Skwirl
They do those things. I have a Norwegian Forest cat that loves to chew up my USB charging cables. I ordered a bunch through Amazon. He's a spoiled brat.
This is Loki. Very similar to the Norwegian Forest Cat I think. We think he is Mane Coon and/or Ragdoll. 11mos old;12 pounds. Lol

Mike

Attachments

• 5801FD37-4672-43F6-800A-824C322D4896.jpeg
    5801FD37-4672-43F6-800A-824C322D4896.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Would not covering the drone with a blanket or towel prevent him getting at your props until you can find a better solution?
He will instantly be under the towel jnvestigating the change in his domain. Nothing gets by King Oliver and Prince Loki. Lmao

Mike

Solution:
Get rid of the cats :D

Good, get one big enough for both cats... put 'em on Craigslist, tote included... they ought to go fast! 🤣
If I do that I might as well find a tote big enough to use as shelter for me and my squadron of drones because my wife is not going to be pleased with that solution.

Mike

Anyway, I will keep the drone away from the cats until I find a case for it now that I know it is an issue. I have seen them eye it when on the ground but I keep it up on top of a large speaker so I mistakenly assumed they/he weren’t bothering it until I looked yesterday and a bunch of brand new props have kitten teeth holes punched in them. 🙀

Mike

HA! I have a tuxedo boy who has gone through countless charging cables. And we had to buy a new iron when he chewed through that heavy cord. And I have a pair of shoes that can't be on the closet floor cuz he chews shoelaces too.

Cats - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11