DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Drone Pilots Need To Be Responsible

Roy Rogers

Reactions
Commercial Pilots Sometimes are Not Responsible
This plane was so close to the ground , I couldn't believe what I was seeing .
This is over 10 miles from a airport . What reason could any pilot have for flying so low ?

That’s pretty crazy ... I have had small planes and helicopters [emoji576] fly over pretty low but that’s toooooo big !!
I live in Bristol VA and this is most likely a connecting flight from Charlotte International airport and Tri-Cities airport . Neither are anywhere near here.

This is over 10 miles from a airport . What reason could any pilot have for flying so low ?

I think that's a B-29, and it was probably doing a flyby at some event.

Reactions: Thomas B
that video is the very reason why we drone pilots have to be responsible and fly within the rules, but we are not in control of the actions of other pilots, in any scenario,such as the low flying aircraft in the video,the onus to avoid contact would have fallen squarely on the shoulders of the drone operator, UAVs are at the bottom of the pecking order when using the airspace.

Usually there are temporary no fly zones at these events, I guess if someone didn't check there local app to fly, or know there was a big event nearby, it could be a dangerous situation if they flew unaware.
No excuse I guess, because all the tools to fly safe are usually available.

I love watching these . . .

UK Mach Loop

I be those pilots love doing that too !! :)

Were you able to pick it up on Flightradar or something similar to see its actual altitude? A big plane at low speed can seem like it's flying a lot lower than it actually is. Either way: manned aircraft always has right-of-way.... and if you can't hear and see this thing coming... well... maybe it's time to take up dominoes as a hobby instead of droning. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
That looks higher than 250 feet to me.

It also does look like a B-29. There are only two of those flying.

Are you in Tennessee by chance? If so, that was Fifi. Or if you're in Oklahoma it was Doc.

Reactions: tleedom and ColinF

Are you in Tennessee by chance? If so, that was Fifi. Or if you're in Oklahoma it was Doc.

Agree, those planes are large. Looked much higher than 250’.

This wasn't filmed in either of those states.
I was in Hampton TN about a decade ago when a very similar looking 4 Propeller military type plane spring out from between two hills dropped below the tree line raised back up to fly over the edge of the local high school . It shook the ground and blow leaves out of the trees over my head as it passed .
I was told by a reliable source that it was from AFB in Charlotte NC Practicing flying under radar in mountainous terrain.
Thanks for your input and committing in a polite manner . unlike some of the SAs ^ on this site that some how think they know an altitude of a plane shot on cell a phone for 15 sec better then someone viewing it in person in their own back yard, " That they fly UAV in and know the alt of buildings and trees ." for about 60 seconds before getting the phone out to record.

Were you able to pick it up on Flightradar or something similar to see its actual altitude? A big plane at low speed can seem like it's flying a lot lower than it actually is. Either way: manned aircraft always has right-of-way.... and if you can't hear and see this thing coming... well... maybe it's time to take up dominoes as a hobby instead of droning. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
unlike some of the SAs ^ on this site that some how think they know an altitude of a plane shot on cell a phone for 15 sec better then someone viewing it in person in their own back yard, " That they fly UAV in and know the alt of buildings and trees ." for about 60 seconds before getting the phone out to record.

Commercial Pilots Sometimes are Not Responsible
Those things are VERY big! I'd say that was easily between 800 and 1,000 ft above where you were filming from.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Look at the frame at 3 seconds in...now the B29 has a wingspan of 141 feet, you cant see the ground in that frame how many wingspans high do you think it is?

People misjudge heights all the time, and then everyone jumps straight in with the bollox about full size pilots breaking the rules all the time.
If full size pilots brke the height rules as much as Drone operators do there would be noise complaints, accidents and irate ground dwellers all over the media every day.

Full size Pilots do in the whole act responsibly, its a whole lotta hurt if they dont.
I see an order of magnitude greater responsibility in full size aviation compared to the idiot-ridden hobby of flying drones (I am still gobsmacked that this very high profile forum encourages irresponsible and illegal flying with that dumb range leaderboard crap, but it goes down well with all the idiots in here and pushes up the hit counter so wtf sdo they care eh?)

Greater regulation is coming and whether or not it is effective, it is certainly deserved.

Look at the frame at 3 seconds in...now the B29 has a wingspan of 141 feet, you cant see the ground in that frame how many wingspans high do you think it is?

People misjudge heights all the time, and then everyone jumps straight in with the bollox about full size pilots breaking the rules all the time.
If full size pilots brke the height rules as much as Drone operators do there would be noise complaints, accidents and irate ground dwellers all over the media every day.

Full size Pilots do in the whole act responsibly, its a whole lotta hurt if they dont.
I see an order of magnitude greater responsibility in full size aviation compared to the idiot-ridden hobby of flying drones (I am still gobsmacked that this very high profile forum encourages irresponsible and illegal flying with that dumb range leaderboard crap, but it goes down well with all the idiots in here and pushes up the hit counter so wtf sdo they care eh?)

Greater regulation is coming and whether or not it is effective, it is certainly deserved.
A low-flying plane over Nashville, Shocking different angles!! Pt.1
Plane fly over city skyscraper in Sydney 11-Oct-2018
Military plane flying way too low! By tanger outlets Charleston SC

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser