DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why general and commercial aviation pilots make great drone owners.

Former Member

Reactions
A synopsis of this thread, courtesy of @old man mavic:

"Its all about being aware of what you are doing and realising that as the PIC the buck stops with you"

Now, if you have time to read the rest, carry on.

I have alot of friends who are general and commercial pilots as well as drone owners. After flying with so many of these guys, it has become apparent to me that they are the safest people to fly with, and consider their drone as an aircraft, not a flying camera. They obey the rules, read the manual, use checklists, and have it ground into them that fuel management is critical, as well as weather and airspace restrictions.

As a pilot who grew up in the front seat of a Piper Cub, my dad taught me before we even left the house, to check for weather. But that wasnt good enough for him. He checked the weather, called the airport, then took a look outside. He didnt mess with the weather, and if his gut said not to fly, we didnt.

He also drilled into me to never let my fuel tank get below 1/4. To him, that was empty. I still believe that with my Mavic, 25% is empty to me, so I plan on landing at 30% or higher.

I use a checklist before flight, because while it might not stop me from forgetting something, it's kinda fun to go through it every time. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Lastly, he always planned his flight, and flew his plan. Even if we were just going out to goof around, he always had a plan, just in case. It made it more fun to plan, and became a ritual that follows me to this day. I laugh at myself when I go to fly my drones, and find myself flying a pattern. I guess after 2000+ hours of time in aircraft, thats the way my brain thinks. Take off upwind, turn crosswind, downwind, then final. I know its a drone and capable of VTOL, but flying a pattern just relaxes me.

Thanks for reading...

Rob

Last edited:
Rob, thanks for the awesome thread.
I agree w/ all you stated. When I first started out w/ the 'TELLO' (mini quad), I had to reset some features of the smart phone just to get it to fly correctly. so, I drew up
a preflight check list for that bird. Now that I'm the proud father of a MA, I'm doing the same w/ that bird also.
If I pause and take the time for preflight stuff each time
I go to fly, many (if not all), probs are gone and my flying
experience seems to get more enjoyable each time.

tnx again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,K

Rob, thanks for the awesome thread.
I agree w/ all you stated. When I first started out w/ the 'TELLO' (mini quad), I had to reset some features of the smart phone just to get it to fly correctly. so, I drew up
a preflight check list for that bird. Now that I'm the proud father of a MA, I'm doing the same w/ that bird also.
If I pause and take the time for preflight stuff each time
I go to fly, many (if not all), probs are gone and my flying
experience seems to get more enjoyable each time.

tnx again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,K
Yes, I agree. It's just one less thing to worry about.

I do a pre-flight but sometimes the thing you need to fight is repetition and being kind of complacent. I forgot to plug in my wing aileron servo connector (RC airplane) the other day that ended up in a crashed plane. Thought I had checked everything prior to take off but I guess not!

Reactions: Former Member
I do a pre-flight but sometimes the thing you need to fight is repetition and being kind of complacent. I forgot to plug in my wing aileron servo connector (RC airplane) the other day that ended up in a crashed plane. Thought I had checked everything prior to take off but I guess not!

What kind of plane was it? I have seen people do that, but then were able to land it using elevator and rudder...

I've a slightly different approach. I don't plan my flights, I only plan what shots I want to take and the space I'll fly. For Austria we have a great map where we are allowed to fly and where it's restricted or forbidden. And I don't use checklists but I'm very accurate when I pack my things up. Every piece, every cable has it's place. Batteries get charged after each flight. And at the location I've a routine how to prepare the drone. I stick to it and it's getting to my muscle memory.

I already used this approach for photographing with the DSLR because I'm not always taking everything with me, so I've to pack the things very carefully.

Maybe it's not as reliable as a checklist, but if I forget something it feels wrong and then I recheck everything.

Greetings
Jürgen

Last edited:
I've a slightly different approach. I don't plan my flights, I only plan what shots I want to take and the space I'll fly. For Austria we have a great map where we are allowed to fly and were it's restricted or forbidden. And I don't use checklists but I'm very accurate when I pack my things up. Every piece, every cable has it's place. Batteries get charged after each flight. And at the location I've a routine how to prepare the drone. I stick to it and it's getting to my muscle memory.

I already used this approach for photographing with the DSLR because I'm not always taking everything with me, so I've to pack the things very carefully.

Maybe it's not as reliable as a checklist, but if I forget something it feels wrong and then I recheck everything.

Greetings
Jürgen

This is a great point. Im somehow always looking at things from a pilots point of view, but you are also looking at it from an artists point of view. Planning shots is important so that you actually go out and get what you took off for and bought a drone for in the first place.

It's hard to be a photographer and pilot in one person, and he who masters that, will be very successful with drones.

Reactions: Photo-Sorko
I have alot of friends who are general and commercial pilots as well as drone owners. After flying with so many of these guys, it has become apparent to me that they are the safest people to fly with, and consider their drone as an aircraft, not a flying camera. They obey the rules, read the manual, use checklists, and have it ground into them that fuel management is critical, as well as weather and airspace restrictions.

As a pilot who grew up in the front seat of a Piper Cub, my dad taught me before we even left the house, to check for weather. But that wasnt good enough for him. He checked the weather, called the airport, then took a look outside. He didnt mess with the weather, and if his gut said not to fly, we didnt.

He also drilled into me to never let my fuel tank get below 1/4. To him, that was empty. I still believe that with my Mavic, 25% is empty to me, so I plan on landing at 30% or higher.

I use a checklist before flight, because while it might not stop me from forgetting something, it's kinda fun to go through it every time. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Lastly, he always planned his flight, and flew his plan. Even if we were just going out to goof around, he always had a plan, just in case. It made it more fun to plan, and became a ritual that follows me to this day. I laugh at myself when I go to fly my drones, and find myself flying a pattern. I guess after 2000+ hours of time in aircraft, thats the way my brain thinks. Take off upwind, turn crosswind, downwind, then final. I know its a drone and capable of VTOL, but flying a pattern just relaxes me.

Thanks for reading...

Rob
really what you are saying Rob is its all about being aware of what you are doing and realising that as the PIC the buck stops with you

I wish I could have cut that whole original post down to your sentence! ;)
sorry to steal your thunder Rob but i get where you are coming from i guess keep up the good work

just seen the original post where you have mentioned me that was very kind of you Rob means a lot to an old man

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje