DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I am done buying DJI's drones. DJI Nanny Drones can become a brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgmaxed

Reactions
I have the mini 1, Mav 2 pro, mav 2 zoom, and mav air 2. I like them very much, but I don't appreciate having , what i call, A NANNY DRONE that can become a brick. The fact that their software will ground you, regardless if it's right or wrong about air space restrictions is one reason. The fact, that I have to check all those boxes to get permission to fly through my local public manned small aircraft airspace drives me nuts, even if i'm not going to fly there. DJI makes me check off all their boxes because i'm close to it. If anything goes wrong with the app, or internet connection, i'm height limited or grounded. I've gone out to places that I thought had no airspace restrictions, but I suddenly find my drone grounded. Then I have to go through the process, of entering my email and phone number, then get validated and then check all the boxes again. Lucky my phone has internet. No internet and your grounded, no questions asked. You can't fly a DJI without internet. You also can't fly it without a working main camera. I bet a lot of you didn't know that. No image, no fly. It probably doesn't matter though, who would want to fly without a camera, unless it' just for fun. Just know, DJI requires a working camera that has working video feed. So, I also own the EVO 2 6k and 8k. The 6ks image is as good or better than DJI anyway. The drone is a bit wobbly, but the camera remains as still as DJIs. The Autel drones, do fly longer and they can carry heavier loads than DJI. The Autel's have 8x optical zoom on the fly, so you can truly see what your filming before you go to post. The image doesn't lose much detail because your shooting at 6 or 8 k. Thus, zooming to 4k loses very little image quality. I suspect the MAVIC 3 pro will have and 8k camera, hopefully with digital zoom capabilities and at least a 1 inch image sensor, maybe even larger. They need to out do AUTEL's specs. Anyway, I'm still not going to buy the mav 3 pro. I'm just not gonna waste my money on something that the manufacturer can turn into a brick at it's whim or the government's whim, or if the software decides it's not going to be cooperative one day and turn my drone into a pumpkin. Yeah, don't forget the our government. They are sensitive about drones and like guns, if they could have an off switch installed, as DJIs drones definitely do, they could theoretically use it. I can just see them making some crazy law telling DJI to ground all drones or drones owned by certain people. Remember, in a couple years all of us will be identified, by drone, our addresses and take off locations. The government will now be able to target specific hobbyists and ground them. I just don't want to take a risk. I'm staying with Autel. If the laws get worse, i'm going to have to start building my own. I don't want a potential brick that costs over a thousand dollars.

Reactions: Droniac and syl
Well, I own a M2P, MM, DJI FPV and an Autel EVO 2. I live in Ocala, Florida and the only place I get various warnings, even with a FAA Authorization (via Kittyhawk) is near the I-75 and the OCF airport. Usually I fly near Silver Springs without problems, just with a few private airports around. I understand your frustration and that's the reason to acquire my EVO 2. Autel informs of any warnings in the flying space, but leaves the decision and responsibility to the pilot. That's the way we drive our cars. That should be DJI's policy.

Another rant thread I see. So your not going to buy anymore
DJI products ,great your choice but you see this.
Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This community is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.
So take it up with them not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom