DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I ordered the M3Pro

abruzzopat

Reactions
Here are the reasons I just ordered the M3Pro. Just for context, this will be my 4th DJI drone, starting with the original Phantom 1.

1. SIZE and NOISE: Often (50% of my flights?) size and noise matter to me in the flying I tend to do. The smaller quieter drone will help when there are people and/or animals involved. I already have a Mini, but the camera often disappoints. I also backpack and really want the smaller drone for that.
2. COST vs CAPABILITY: I'm really impressed with the stated (and early review) specs on both video and stills. Comparable to A2S which I own and love. Probably the A2S stills will be better... we'll see.
3. DJI RC: for US$200 I get the RC. This seems like a real bargain and I can't wait... first RC that didn't need my phone (except the Phantom 1, lol)
4. CARE PACKAGE: This is the first time I bought the care package. I always get nervous sending my A2S far away, especially in sketchy weather. By my math, even a flyaway will replace the M3Pro for about US$300 including the cost of the care package. That will allow me to be a bit more risk tolerant and maybe get those sunrise and/or night shots that used to scare the crap out of me.

Anyway... can't wait wait for it to arrive!

PS: Reason #5 is I just love buying a new drone, lol

Here are the reasons I just ordered the M3Pro. Just for context, this will be my 4th DJI drone, starting with the original Phantom 1.

2. COST vs CAPABILITY: I'm really impressed with the stated (and early review) specs on both video and stills. Comparable to A2S which I own and love. Probably the A2S stills will be better... we'll see.

The image quality on pictures for the M3Pro is definitely going to be far superior the Air 2S as test2000Anafi keeps saying because its 48 MP vs 20MP on the Air 2S.

Video, HDR, and lowlight quality is the real question between the Air 2S and M3Pro, and I think that is still TBD, but for Stills, I would get a M3Pro every time.

The image quality on pictures for the M3Pro is definitely going to be far superior the Air 2S as test2000Anafi keeps saying because its 48 MP vs 20MP on the Air 2S.

Video, HDR, and lowlight quality is the real question between the Air 2S and M3Pro, and I think that is still TBD, but for Stills, I would get a M3Pro every time.
I think the Mini 3 will be the answer for a lot of folks. Now, with official pricing revealed, if I got one, which is possible down the road, I would definitely buy it with the smart controller. $759 for the standard controller, which is quite basic, vs $909 with a bright built in screen for quick easy deployment, with many more programmable buttons, and I'll bet better handling. When you get up near $1000 the SC is only $150 more. IMO that's probably the best upgrade value that DJI has offered, ever. I've got a Mini 2 and a M2P, happy with my Mini 2 and thrilled with my M2P to the point that an M3 isn't even a thought.... unless I destroy my M2. For me the Mini 3 without the smart controller isn't an option in my mind... but with the SC. The convenience and screen quality far exceeds the $150 difference. I think the SC increases the perceived value exponentially and makes the price much easier to swallow. I can see a Mini 3/SC in my future, maybe even "just because".

As far as "far superior" due to megapixels, IMO that is quite arguable. The reason being is that while the sensor might be bigger and better, the limiting factors in pretty much all cameras today is LENS QUALITY. We're not talking about hanging a 3 pound Zeiss lens on the front here. Speaking from experience, as I look back at a 20+ year digital photography career (about 35 years total), I look at the 30x40 images hanging on my wall taken with a 6.5 megpixel, APS-c sensor and compare those images with those taken with my latest full frame camera 22.3 megapixel, and the images from almost 20 years ago are remarkably close. While I will concede that the write speed will contribute to improved image quality of the video, I don't think "far superior" is quite what you would find in comparison when you compare it to Air2s files or even M2P. I think the difference will be less than people think when you look at Air2s footage. And let's not forget, you can do a LOT in post to make up any minor differences. JMO

Megapixels aren’t everything. There’s trickery involved, so I’m holding judgment until I take some pics… which I’m itching to do!

I do notice my Air 2S has a much nicer looking lens, its not the german optics on the Mavic 3's, but I look at the lens on the Mini 3 and some how I feel like the lens quality is less than that the or the Air 2S.
I don't think the Mavic 3 uses "German" optics but certainly uses the Hasselblad name, but DJI bought Hasselblad, and has continued to produce their higher end cameras. FWIW, Hasselblad is a Swedish company, just like Volvo (I love my Volvo). But if my intuition is correct, everything is made in China. I can't imagine DJI paying for European labor, and these lenses are not made of many layers of glass as you'd find in higher end Hasselblad optics. Perhaps they get the raw optics from Sweden, but I can't see the lenses being a higher quality than carbon lenses we get for our eye glasses. I could be wrong (?).

Reactions: MS Coast and Torque
Megapixels aren’t everything. There’s trickery involved, so I’m holding judgment until I take some pics… which I’m itching to do!
It's true. A lot depends on a lot. While not the same as a drone taking a photo at distance, the image below hangs as a 20x24" framed image in my home and could have been printed much larger, still retaining fine detail. Taken in 2001 with a 2.75 megapixel camera (Nikon D1x, I think), even 20 years ago, without anywhere near the camera resolution we have today it was possible to take professional quality, detailed images. Much has to do with the photographer's knowledge of how to apply equipment to the desired image.

1652281415671.png

Same here. Told myself I'd wait, but by 10 am had ordered the M3 Pro with the smart RC and the Fly More Plus kit.
This is my 7th DJI drone starting with the Phantom 1 as well!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929