DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I think the mini 3 is better than the mavic 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Right

Reactions
I think it’s better because it is under 249g and has more sensors than the mavic 3. It also costs way less. What do you guys think

@Mr Right ,to say it is better ,is a far reaching statement,it all depends what your requirements for the drone of your choice, needs to have ,in order to fulfil the uses you intend for it
both drones are in different weight category,and in some countries ,that can play a big part in which one you choose
cost could be a factor ,if you are comparing the Mini 3 to the Mavic 3, simply because many people will have financial constraints ,for those people then, the Mini 3,is a very able drone

Under 249 means nothing to most of us in the U.S. and in fact makes it less useful in windy situations. I just shot a bit of my trees blowing hard in a 25 mph wind, NOT with the Mini 3. More sensors?? Are there extra side sensors that are invisible and not working? I get 249 being important. Beyond that...meh. I have an FPV a Mav3 and a Mini 3 but still await the Plus batteries. Without them it's really just a toy for me.

Better is of course a relative term.

The M3 is a drone that is clearly targeted at serious hobbyists and professionals, and would arguably be most attractive to an existing Inspire 2 owner, as they now have a way to get a 4/3 sensor in the air without the bulk and cost associated with the Inspire system. In that sense, it's an absolute bargain. You can do things with the M3 that you simply can't with any other foldable drone, and much of that comes down to the 4/3 sensor it uses. That is mostly what you're paying for (relative to a Mavic 2 or similar), and that is also why I think a lot of people who have the M3 complain about it's price - because they don't take advantage of that sensor. *Most* people who think it's overpriced would be better served by a lesser drone, unless shooting in extremely challenging lighting conditions and heavy post processing are part of your usage. It's also available with ProRes, which is a popular requirement of professional agencies due to how easily/quickly it can be processed and how it can be edited non-destructively. The downside of ProRes is also one of it's best features - lack of compression. File sizes are huge, but the uncompressed files are very easy to process after the fact compared to something like H265.

The M3P does not have more sensors than a M3, assuming you are talking about obstacle avoidance. The M3 also has two cameras and therefore two image sensors.

If you fly in an area or with a license that doesn't involve low weight limits, the M3 is better in every way except size and cost, but literally everything in the photography/videography world involves a compromise. The M3 also weighs about 3.5 times that of a M3P and has much more powerful motors. It's faster and can deal with wind much better, which is important for getting stable footage in poor conditions. Of course if it's out of your budget, this is all moot (yet another compromise).

If you fly in an area/country with tighter weight restrictions, then the M3P is obviously the better choice because the alternative is not being able to fly legally. The M3P is also far easier to take with you traveling, hiking, etc. so it makes a great companion to the larger, more capable drones. DJI has pretty well removed every major disadvantage previously associated with the ultra-light drones (within reason) so it's great that we have that as an option.

Another key feature with the M3 and also the M2P is that they are the only ones available with a variable aperture, the benefits of which are hard to overstate on a drone when dealing with ND filters. I really wish DJI would incorporate that into some of their cheaper drones as it would probably save me a lot of money :D But I also understand that they need to give people enough reasons to actually buy their more expensive drones.

I think it’s better because it is under 249g and has more sensors than the mavic 3. It also costs way less. What do you guys think
Since you asked. :)

I think the Mini 3 is a well rounded entry-level drone packed with a lot of features, some of which are. . . for lack of a better word - gimicky, at least here in the US for now. The first being - in the sub 250 gram category. This enhances neither the performance of the aircraft or the camera but allows one flying recreational in the US to not register it. Okay - big whoopie. Keep in mind that if one were to use the Mini for commercial purposes then it has to be registered regardless of weight.

Sensors? Sorry but even though they are getting better, they are still a gimmick in that; they are not 100% infallible and give their user a sense of safety that could (and does) give a false sense of security and lead some to take needless chances, only to find that out the hard way. Maybe its just me but I turn off all sensors and if I could remove them completely I would. Did I mention I don't like sensors?

On the other hand the Mavic 3 is an upper-end consumer, or even prosumer drone that picks up where the M2P left off in terms of 'upping-the-game' in that class. In every metric used to measure performance, the Mavic 3 is the clear winner. It is faster in level flight, it climbs faster and descends faster and has a higher wind tolerance. It has a much longer flight time and even a longer hover time.

And really there just is no comparison when it comes to camera which is what the entire drone is about. So I think the Mavic 3 is far superior in every way to the Mini 3 Pro.

If I had to replace my Mavic 2 Pro - clearly the best drone DJI makes, hands down is the Air 2S🤣;)

I think the Mini 3 is a well rounded entry-level drone packed with a lot of features, some of which are. . . for lack of a better word - gimicky, at least here in the US for now. The first being - in the sub 250 gram category. This enhances neither the performance of the aircraft or the camera but allows one flying recreational in the US to not register it. Okay - big whoopie. Keep in mind that if one were to use the Mini for commercial purposes then it has to be registered regardless of weight.

Sensors? Sorry but even though they are getting better, they are still a gimmick in that; they are not 100% infallible and give their user a sense of safety that could (and does) give a false sense of security and lead some to take needless chances, only to find that out the hard way. Maybe its just me but I turn off all sensors and if I could remove them completely I would. Did I mention I don't like sensors?

On the other hand the Mavic 3 is an upper-end consumer, or even prosumer drone that picks up where the M2P left off in terms of 'upping-the-game' in that class. In every metric used to measure performance, the Mavic 3 is the clear winner. It is faster in level flight, it climbs faster and descends faster and has a higher wind tolerance. It has a much longer flight time and even a longer hover time.

And really there just is no comparison when it comes to camera which is what the entire drone is about. So I think the Mavic 3 is far superior in every way to the Mini 3 Pro.

If I had to replace my Mavic 2 Pro - clearly the best drone DJI makes, hands down is the Air 2S🤣;)

Can't disagree with your last comment... I think the Air 2S is still my favorite, mostly due to IQ and wind stability.

However, do you actually have the mini 3 Pro and have you flown it much? I have, and even though the sub-250g does not provide legal/regulatory benefits here in the US, it is still VERY nice to have a small and light drone for other reasons, and it is not a toy or gimmick.

As a backpacker and traveler in general, the size/weight/performance ratio of the Mini 3 is off the charts and the Air 2S feels heavy and bulky to me lately.

What a wild opening statement. Completely wrong, but having said that the sub 250g is a game changer for me. It has opened up a huge section of surfing beaches where it was previously illegal to fly due to the proximity of Coolangatta airport. Does not apply in Australia to sub 250g Hoping to try the unlock on the spot thing this week. Still waiting for Mavic 2 pro to die to get an MP3 though.

More sensors? This is incorrect is it not?
How does having more sensors make the entire drone better than another? I have been flying drones since the original phantom and I've never needed the sensors. I have yet to lose a drone. Sometimes I think people on here make outrageous statements for attention.

100% agree with this. These aircraft are "tools." Each having their own pros and cons. Do I carry several screwdrivers in by tool-belt? Yes!

Having said that, travelling with the Mavic 3 Cine and the Mini 3 Pro is a dream. The two together can accomplish almost anything. Now if they only had the obstacle avoidance of my Skydio 2+ I'd consider them perfect! Again, this is why we need a large tool-belt.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
100% agree with this. These aircraft are "tools." Each having their own pros and cons. Do I carry several screwdrivers in by tool-belt? Yes!

Having said that, travelling with the Mavic 3 Cine and the Mini 3 Pro is a dream. The two together can accomplish almost anything. Now if they only had the obstacle avoidance of my Skydio 2+ I'd consider them perfect! Again, this is why we need a large tool-belt.
Well Said

I can see why for some people would need 249g and why the size would be important for backpacking. I bought my old M1 for backpacking, but in my case I never used it that way.

For me the M3 has collision avoidance in every direction, with one small blind spot, but that isn’t on the side. Nobody should fully rely on collision avoidance.

The camera on the M3 is excellent with variable aperture and good low light sensitivity. The real difference for me is the amazing battery life that reduces mission anxiety.

There are many great points made, and I would have to agree it all comes down to your requirements. One point I did not see mentioned. The Mini 3 is stealthy. It is much quieter than the M 3 Pro, which can be a great advantage.

I think you are wrong about the first one, right about the 2nd in that it costs less and overall what is best is based on every individual's use case so there is no right answer in the general sense.

Mavic 3 advantages, in no particular order:

Variable aperture
More (sensors despite your claim)
A better camera sensor
A telephoto lens
Longer flight time
Better stability in wind
Longer shutter times up to 8 seconds
Faster both horizontally and vertically
Higher flight ceiling which can be used in some countries
Longer theoretical max operating distance
Lower operating temperature allowed
Doesn't tend to overheat while just hovering while the mini has to keep moving or risk that
Larger memory card allowed 512g vs 2t
Cine also give more storage and ProRes

Reactions: Drones.n.Pixels
Can't disagree with your last comment... I think the Air 2S is still my favorite, mostly due to IQ and wind stability.

However, do you actually have the mini 3 Pro and have you flown it much? I have, and even though the sub-250g does not provide legal/regulatory benefits here in the US, it is still VERY nice to have a small and light drone for other reasons, and it is not a toy or gimmick.

As a backpacker and traveler in general, the size/weight/performance ratio of the Mini 3 is off the charts and the Air 2S feels heavy and bulky to me lately.

I never said the Mini 3 was a toy, in fact I said it was a well-rounded drone, just with some features that are (to me) gimmicky. If I were asked to compare it to other drones in it's category it probably would come out pretty near, or at the top of that list, but to compare it to a Mavic 3?

I too am a backpacker and cyclist and weight is relative. When I got my M2P I needed a compact drone that I could back pack or bicycle with because my other drone and it's support gear took up two large cases weighing 14 and 8 pounds respectively, not to mention their bulk. So a Mavic 3 would even fit that bill and not make any sacrifices in the camera department.

To the OP I say pick what fits you, your needs and your budget and forget what the rest of the world thinks.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I never said the Mini 3 was a toy, in fact I said it was a well-rounded drone, just with some features that are (to me) gimmicky. If I were asked to compare it to other drones in it's category it probably would come out pretty near, or at the top of that list, but to compare it to a Mavic 3?

I too am a backpacker and cyclist and weight is relative. When I got my M2P I needed a compact drone that I could back pack or bicycle with because my other drone and it's support gear took up two large cases weighing 14 and 8 pounds respectively, not to mention their bulk. So a Mavic 3 would even fit that bill and not make any sacrifices in the camera department.

To the OP I say pick what fits you, your needs and your budget and forget what the rest of the world thinks.

I hope and trust whatever replaces the Mavic 3 has the 90 degree lens rotation. For some shots that would give me more effective pixels than cropping vertically from the current. It's not a huge difference but it would still be nice. Nice for some panos too.

I hope and trust whatever replaces the Mavic 3 has the 90 degree lens rotation. For some shots that would give me more effective pixels than cropping vertically from the current. It's not a huge difference but it would still be nice. Nice for some panos too.
Now we have a drone with a tele lens and a drone with 90deg lens rotation and greater vertical gimble movement. I'm ready to see a drone with all of that wrapped up in one package...with optical zoom...

Reactions: bonzo
Now we have a drone with a tele lens and a drone with 90deg lens rotation and greater vertical gimble movement. I'm ready to see a drone with all of that wrapped up in one package...with optical zoom...

It's not likely we will see an optical zoom on the higher end drones with larger image sensors for a few of reasons. First, it's much harder to make a high quality lens, especially an extremely compact one, that zooms. Prime lenses (fixed focal length) always give the best image quality and the best performance edge to edge across the frame, all else equal. Second, zoom lenses require more complicated designs which need more lens elements which adds weight, on top of the powered zoom mechanism that adds even more weight. Third, if they want to keep a constant aperture when zooming, that adds even more weight, size and complexity. An aperture like F2.8 isn't a big deal at 24mm or 28mm but at telephoto focal lengths you start to require some very large lens elements to achieve that. Variable apertures mitigate that and help keep the size of a zoom lens down, however variable apertures are extremely annoying on drones because you have to land and swap your ND filter every time you zoom.

This is also why the M2Z had such a tiny 1/2.3" sensor and even though it was a barely useful 2X zoom, they still put a variable aperture in it to keep size down. The M2P of course had a fixed focal length lens with it's larger 1" sensor.

So, it's theoretically possible to add a zoom lens with the larger sensor drones, but most professionals don't want that and it would add significant gimbal weight and complexity. I doubt they do it personally, unless they offer a second version like they did with the M2Z and M2P with a much, much smaller sensor on the version with an optical zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123