DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why In The World Did You Get A Drone?

TampaTC

Reactions
Hello all, Its just a question right? Lets have a little get to know session. Form your reply as follow please:

State/Country: Florida
Drone Type(s): Mavic 2 Pro
How long Flying: 4 months
107? : YES
Why???: I like hobbies and a guy at work had one he brought in and showed off. I Had RC cars, boats, and planes growing up. I have an hobbyist Photography company. I also started to research the uses for new drone Tech in the workplace. I saw the writing on the wall and decided to jump in feet first. I studied for the 107 for 3 weeks and took the test. Once I received my Card I purchased my M2P and accessories. I presented my work with my intent to bring in a drone program and gave them the top 5 reasons we would benefit from the use. I have 2 drones budgeted for ordering October, A Mavic Enterprise and a M210. I have started training others in my workplace, they are all VO now and will have 107 certs by Christmas. I like helping others and finding solutions to problems this venture allows me to do that in a whole new way.

wales /UK
drones x16 /x21 mavic pro platinum and a phantom 3 standard which i sold
flying two and a half years for drones
recreational flyer
why
have made models all my life from static display to RC cars boats and planes when i retired i decided to get back into the hobby and discovered UAVs
and worked my way up from low cost types to my present MMP,
i find it gives me a whole new way to view the world from a different perspective,
and a reason to get out in the fresh air and the videos i take are a record of my experiences.
and it keeps me young

One fathers day my boys bought me a little drone to fly round the living room.
Didn't take long before I bought a decent one and I was hooked.
Wish the Mavic had a headless mode like the toy one, its great on the odd occasion I lose orientation.

OOPS edit as I forgot to answer the type & time.
Xiaomi Mi 4k
Mavic Pro
Mavic 2 Pro
Just over a year
West Lakes UK

Last edited:
Think this is a great post/question actually. For me, I spend too much time at home, in my garage drinking beer fiddling around, family inside. When I was in college (long time ago), I took a photography class and loved it. It was photography only, no video. This was when it was VHS vs. Betamax. Didn’t get much into video but had a few friends who did. I ended up majoring in Electrical Engineering and left the photography behind.

Now I want to get out of the garage, spend time with my daughters before they get old enough to hate me, and teach them something that I really used to enjoy doing. Trying to learn the video side and relearn the photography side is fun for me as well. Also thinking about the Part 107 to make some extra cash. Anyway, that’s the why for me. It’s also a lot of fun if you can manage to stay connected lol.

Oh. To respond to your questions.

State/Country: Ohio
Drone Type(s): Mavic 2 Zoom on order (MA returned)
How long Flying: 3 weeks
107? : Not yet

Last edited:
NY/US
Mavic Air
3 weeks
i got it because i’ve been wanting one for SOO long (like 3 years now), wanted a new toy after getting my nikon z7, found out my ex got one ?[emoji849][emoji20], and really want to use it for my upcoming trip to hawaii.

Photography has been a long time hobby (40+ years) and I have wanted a drone for soooo very long but would not pull the trigger due to the "creeper" stigma. Finally bought a cheap crappy toy and liked it but was frustrated and waited another year and a half then got another toy but a little bigger (F 100 Ghost) More fun and easier to control. Then just decided to go all the way, was willing to spend 10,000. Stumbled on the Mavic2Pro and randomly bought it....I am in love!!!!! I am now a lifetime drone pilot. Working on getting my 107. Best hobby ever!!!!

State: Idaho
Drone type/s Toy, F 100 Ghost, Mavik Air, Tello, Mavic 2 Pro (soon...Mavic 2 Zoom)
107... working on it
Flying time....never enough!!

Last edited:
State/Country:NY, Bronx County
Drone Type(s): Mavic Pro
How long Flying: 2 year +
107? : Soon
Why???:
Love photography. My father built a darkroom in our home when i was nine years of age. I loved seeing how the photo came together. Cinema always fascinated me. Specially the arial shots. Got into the arial shots and video to take it to the next level. Im hooked.

State/Country: Virginia
Drone Type(s): Mavic Air
How long Flying: 6 months
107? : Studying for it currently
Why?: Enjoy photography, wanted the different perspective the drone provides. Also, wanted a cool gadget to have fun with outside.

State/Country: Queensland/Australia
Drone Type(s): Spark + Mavic 2 Pro
How long Flying: 8 months
107? : Not in Australia - AROC Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate and REPL Remote Pilot Licence
Why???:

Have been interested in flight sims on computer and video editing for Loooonnnnggg time. Bought a Spark last XMAS and flew around taking heaps of videos, editing. learning. Decided I would like something bigger/better video/photo quality longer flight time better communication with drone.

Definately not enough time in the day to fly as much as I would like. :-(

Hello all, Its just a question right? Lets have a little get to know session. Form your reply as follow please:

Why???:
Why - I was the "Weinner" at an online auction. I never really saw a drone up close until last year. Then I got an email informing me I won an auction. I remember bidding to see what the final price was (you have to bid to see what happens) but I wasn't' even sure what I was bidding on. Since then I have sold a lot and swapped a lot of stuff and gave a lot of toys away to the neighborhood kids. It is nice to be able to crash one or two & have a bunch of replacements. I passed the 107 test week ago. I'm flying just for fun.
State/County: Ga.
How long Flying: 12 months?
107: Yes
Here is a PDF- if it will load:

Attachments

• Drone PDF.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
Always liked RC cars/trucks, and photography.. I purchased a cheap drone for around 100 bucks.. Well I got what I paid for.. I then decided to buy a mavic pro.. What a mistake that ended up being.. I now own 2 mavic pro's, 1 mavic-air, a mavic 2 zoom, and a mavic 2 pro.. My wife say's I have an addiction, and that I should seek out a support group.

Last edited:
Aircraft:
Mavic Pro. Vortex 250 racing drone. Several toy drones including a Tello.
How long flying:
3 years.
107:

No but have been offered to patrol transmission lines so it might be in my future.
Reason:
Strong background in photography and astrophotography. I also use my Mavic Pro for shooting 4x4 off roading trips. I fly fixed wing RC aircraft weekly and the Mavic fills in the days I'm not on the flight line.

Fly for fun. Started with drones 5 years ago, but soon outgrew the $100- $150 class. Got a Spark and was hooked on better drones... spent a lot of cash .... Own too many... M2P is my “go to” drone. Do aerial photography of anything legal and unusual. The point of perspective is what I love. Fly almost daily weather permitting.

State: MT & MA
Drone Type: Mavic Air
How Long Flying: A few months on and off
107: Presently studying online course
Why: Bought the drone because I like doing videos and want to expand that with aerial shots (very low on that learning curve :)).
Reason for going for 107 is I work for a fertilizer company and they just bought a drone that can fly a field and detect and identify areas of invasive weeds and areas of nutrient depleted soil. My goal is to be the PIC of that drone.

State/Country: Bay Area, CA/USA
Drone Type(s): Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom
How long Flying: After a 5 year drought I purchased the M2P's in Jan. 2019
Why? Aerial Photography and Videography

...and to quote Old Man Mavic: "i find it gives me a whole new way to view the world from a different perspective,
and a reason to get out in the fresh air and the videos i take are a record of my experiences."

I couldn't have said it better.

State/Country: Bay Area, CA/USA
Drone Type(s): Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom
How long Flying: After a 5 year drought I purchased the M2P's in Jan. 2019
Why? Aerial Photography and Videography

...and to quote Old Man Mavic: "i find it gives me a whole new way to view the world from a different perspective,
and a reason to get out in the fresh air and the videos i take are a record of my experiences."

I couldn't have said it better.
@GDadd thanks for your comments, i think most of us flyers have similar reasons for flying it is a great pastime, and also coming on this forum and communicating with like minded people who appreciate what a UAV can do .

State/Country: New York, USA
Drone Type(s): Mavic Air, Spark, Tello, Parrot Anafi
How long Flying: 1 Year
107? : No
Why???: Originally, it was to autonomously record my wedding procession as there would be no other way to get video of me and my bride walking up the 18th fairway towards our guests awaiting us on the patio of the clubhouse. Then I got the bug ;-) Here is my very first video (audio is all dubbed in). A bit shout out to anyone that can guess the music.:

Tampa Florida
Mavic Air
0 Flight time
Testing tomorrow. Wish me luck.
I'm a real estate photographer and need to add this to the services I offer and I want to do it legally. The Mavic Air seems perfect for the task.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO