DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is there a new restricted forum for DSAR?

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
There is a new restricted discussion forum over on CommercialDronePilots. Why is it restricted and why is it not on MavicPilots? It is restricted to 107 pilots on the DSAR registry because it sometimes contains sensitive information pertaining to SAR operations that is not for public dissemination. If you are on the DSAR registry, you can gain access by first creating an account on CommercialDronePilots (it's preferable to use the same user name you have on MavicPilots so we don't get confused.) Once you have an account on CommercialDronePilots, PM me there and I'll get you added to the access list. The forum is over on CommercialDronePilots because there are non-Mavic pilots on the registry (i.e., Phantom and other models).

too bad we can't see and read it might get others interested to get their 107 and join DSR

too bad we can't see and read it might get others interested to get their 107 and join DSR

That's true, I enjoyed reading of the progress and aspects of DSAR too, maybe some of the mainstream developments can remain here, while sensitive specific discussions can be held 'over there'.

I'd love to see something like this here in Oz, we have similar S&R problems here with locations and topography, but then I expect most countries do so it's a Worldwide positive for drone use.

That's true, I enjoyed reading of the progress and aspects of DSAR too, maybe some of the mainstream developments can remain here, while sensitive specific discussions can be held 'over there'.

I'd love to see something like this here in Oz, we have similar S&R problems here with locations and topography, but then I expect most countries do so it's a Worldwide positive for drone use.

I will continue to post generic updates on this forum. Good news is that as of today, we have 37 pilots registered in 21 states. And we had 2 real-world SARs by different pilots the past 2 days. I will report on this forum the results of my discussions with the Red Cross this week and the results of our training next weekend on June 8th.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Some updates:
  • As of today the DSAR Registry has almost 50 pilots covering 24 states. We're hoping to eventually have multiple pilots in every state of the union. On the Registry page of our web site is a map depicting locations of DSAR pilots around the country.
  • DSAR is working with the American Red Cross (ARC) to establish a working relationship with them, using our drones to enhance their Damage Assessment capability in addition to other possible uses. We're working our way up the chain to the National level of the ARC to make this happen. Once DSAR pilots are trained in accordance with ARC policy, the Red Cross will pay their deployment expenses.
  • We are planning 2 formal training events - one in mid Jul in Chattanooga TN, and the other in Waynesville NC at the end of Sep. Once we lock in training locations, we will announce the event and start accepting registration. We welcome any pilot regardless of experience but limit the number of pilots to 20 so we can pay sufficient attention to every one. 107 certification is NOT necessary for training, but is required to be added to the DSAR Registry and fly real-world SAR.
  • In conjunction with the Sep training event in NC, we will be working with Ballard Power for a full day assessing the potential of their prototype hydrogen-powered drone (with significantly longer range and flight time than current battery-powered drones) for SAR. This is part of DSAR's philosophy to keep abreast of emerging technology that can improve our capabilities.
  • Although only established in Jan 2019, DSAR pilots have already flown several real-world SARs to date. Expect some of the pilots to share their experiences at the training events. Some of these SARs were tragic and are not suitable for public dissemination; they are shared in the restricted DSAR forum on the CommercialDronePilots web site with other DSAR pilots for lessons-learned.
  • DSAR has submitted a blanket waiver to the FAA for our pilots to fly at night during Search & Rescue operations. We're still waiting to hear from the FAA, but if approved any DSAR pilot on the registry will be able to fly their drone at night during SAR under the conditions set forth in the waiver. If we receive FAA approval we will notify Registry pilots of the strict conditions they must adhere to under this waiver.
  • DSAR had its' first official Board meeting this past weekend and the minutes are posted on our web site here.
  • We have opened a nonprofit business account for DSAR at Redstone Federal Credit Union. After we establish a Paypal nonprofit business account that is tied to the account, people will be able to easily and securely donate online to DSAR. A reminder that no one, to include all Board members, receives any money from DSAR. 100% of all donations will go towards training and deployment expenses - and ultimately (we hope) will fund high-end fly-away thermal drones for overnight shipment to qualified pilots in the event of an emergency.
  • Our web site is chock-full of useful information. We try to keep it updated (I update the registry several times/week.) You should know that one real-world DSAR mission was precipitated by our web site; a family was desperate and searched the web for drone search & rescue.
  • If you're a 107 pilot with some training/experience in SAR, we encourage you to join the DSAR Registry. There is powerful synergy in our collective presence.
  • Finally, we NEVER charge for our SAR services. All our pilots are volunteers taking time off from jobs and other commitments to serve. The Board salutes them.
Bob
www.dronesar.info

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to put this down for everyone Bob.

Bob,
I'll go ahead post this here because I'm not
sure where to post on the commercial forum.

I am all booked for July, so please put me on
the list for attending the training in Waynesville.

Thanks!

John

Reactions: BigAl07
Bob,
I'll go ahead post this here because I'm not
sure where to post on the commercial forum.

I am all booked for July, so please put me on
the list for attending the training in Waynesville.

Thanks!

John

Outstanding!! We are working on creating a Sign-Up list and you're #2 on the list as soon as we create it LOL!

At least it's a short drive for you. We'll be at the MASH Flying Field in Clyde NC. Holler if you have any questions.

For all those interested in some online training to get you started, the introduction ICS and IS courses are strongly recommended for work with any established Emergency Response agency:

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N