DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is there no windows app?

tangoseal

Reactions
Why does DJI not offer a control app for windows machines? I have a Surface Book and a Surface PRO and both have absolutely stunning near 4K displays and powerful CPUs.

Why can't I control my DJI Drone from a windows tablet? Oh thats right because DJI never made an app for it!

Has anyone pondered this as well? Sorry if this seems like click bait but I am wondering if our forum got enough interest we could get DJI's attention maybe?

Most likely too small a market to be worth investing the effort.
The market share of Windows tablets is tiny, and there are few devices that are really appropriate for the purpose of being used to control a DJI device.

I suspect it has something to do with graphs like these:

Table2.jpg

Table.jpg

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Those graphs answer the Windows question, but then just raise the issue of why Android seems to be the bastard brother with low-quality, buggy releases while iOS sits in the catbird seat.

Reactions: Robstunner
but then just raise the issue of why Android seems to be the bastard brother with low-quality, buggy releases
Are the releases truly buggy or is it an issue with the devices? I always thought the problem was due to the insanely large number of Android devices and potential configurations. That's most certainly a software tester's nightmare.

I've used half a dozen android devices and never had an issue except once where the app would crash on someone's tablet, and it was due to the tablet overheating becasue of the thick leather cover the owner had on. Removed the cover and no more issues.

Android problem is really due to fragmentation and many devices not living up to their specs, usually thermally. A lot of the high end devices may well have 8-core powerhouses... BUT what the manufacturer doesn't say is that said powerhouse will throttle back due to heat after a couple of minutes of running full load, and that causes the crashes.

Reactions: mbsz53
Are the releases truly buggy or is it an issue with the devices? I always thought the problem was due to the insanely large number of Android devices and potential configurations. That's most certainly a software tester's nightmare.
Not sure if you're an Android user.

No, it's not the plethora of different devices. It's DJI's incompetent software operation.

There are scads of other Android apps as complex or more that run flawlessly on any Android device they're installed on. Google has done a very good job of implementing the features and technology necessary to code an app to be extremely flexible and accommodating to all sorts of variations on devices.

If you learn how to code for the Android run-time, you can produce incredible apps that use resources on the device efficiently. If you don't, you get things like GO4.

One critical aspect to understand thoroughly when designing an app for Android is the app life-cycle. Failing to fully understand this run-time operation, and what happens in each state virtually guarantees disastrous apps.

GO4 runs decently on some Android devices and fails on others because DJI did not code for general Android -- they coded for the particular devices they test on. Which is NOT how you develop applications for Android.

Those graphs answer the Windows question, but then just raise the issue of why Android seems to be the bastard brother with low-quality, buggy releases while iOS sits in the catbird seat.

How many versions of Android are in the wild (hundreds). How many versions of iOS (one). How many different hardware platforms for Android (again, hundreds). How many different hardware platforms for iOS (again, one). Want to know why it's more difficult to anticipate how all Android platforms are going to react to your software vs knowing how "all" iOS platforms will react?

There are scads of other Android apps as complex or more that run flawlessly on any Android device they're installed on. Google has done a very good job of implementing the features and technology necessary to code an app to be extremely flexible and accommodating to all sorts of variations on devices.
I agree. However, you asked why DJI's Android version was more buggy. That is the reason why. Not saying that DJI could not do a better job in preventing things like crashes.

How many versions of Android are in the wild (hundreds). How many versions of iOS (one). How many different hardware platforms for Android (again, hundreds). How many different hardware platforms for iOS (again, one). Want to know why it's more difficult to anticipate how all Android platforms are going to react to your software vs knowing how "all" iOS platforms will react?

I agree. However, you asked why DJI's Android version was more buggy. That is the reason why. Not saying that DJI could not do a better job in preventing things like crashes.
No.

If your analysis was correct, problematic apps across the Android ecosphere would be ubiquitous. They aren't.

I've been developing on Android since it was first released. I coded dozens of apps, from simple crap to very sophisticated data acquisition, analysis, and display programs.

I've also developed for iOS, although not nearly as much. Still, plenty to know both platforms, and their run-times very well.

The problem is not the range and variation in devices on Android. As I said, Google has done a very good job of implementing the APIs and technical infrastructure to handle this problem cleanly. If you bother to account for this capability, your app will run well on just about any Android device.

Obviously, as you point out, this isn't an issue with iOS. As such, any app developed initially on iOS without any attention to the compatability/portability framework in Android will be very, very hard to "graft" that on after the fact successfully. In fact, having gone through this before as a developer, what we're seeing with GO4 is nothing surprising.

Once again, this is not an Android problem. It's not that apps can't be designed and coded to run well on all Android platforms, and succeed. However, a bad port from iOS to Android is going to result in a buggy, problematic app on Android. Guess what? Same thing happens in reverse too, when a native Android app is poorly ported to iOS.

Not sure if you're an Android user.
I am. I'm also an Apple user, Windows user, Linux user... I think you get the picture ;)

GO4 runs decently on some Android devices and fails on others because DJI did not code for general Android -- they coded for the particular devices they test on. Which is NOT how you develop applications for Android.
You should get a job coding for DJI. It sounds like you'd have everything fixed up in no time.

Reactions: Hauptmann
No.

If your analysis was correct, problematic apps across the Android ecosphere would be ubiquitous. They aren't.
Not true but it also does not address the real problem... Android is more difficult to code for because of the changes made by the manufactures to the OS and the different types of phones that they run on. That is simply a well known fact. Look at the Samsung Edge phones... if a programmer does not compensate for the edge part of the screen, the number of sats cannot be seen on the phone. So programmers _do_ need to code for certain phones. Look at what happens when you set up an app to only run on certain resolutions... another problem. Can it be done correctly? Yes. I've never denied this. What said was that it was more difficult then programming for one one and one OS.

The problem is not the range and variation in devices on Android. As I said, Google has done a very good job of implementing the APIs and technical infrastructure to handle this problem cleanly. If you bother to account for this capability, your app will run well on just about any Android device.
You actually just proved yourself wrong. It's no more difficult then programming for one one.... yet a programmer needs to takes steps to program for more than one phone.

Once again, this is not an Android problem. It's not that apps can't be designed and coded to run well on all Android platforms, and succeed. However, a bad port from iOS to Android is going to result in a buggy, problematic app on Android. Guess what? Same thing happens in reverse too, when a native Android app is poorly ported to iOS.
And I've never said it was the problem of the Android OS. I said it was more difficult to program for.

Actually, a Windows app would be great; I'd love to use my laptop to fly... that said, a Linux app would be even better.

Personally i switched from ios to android and i an't lookin back and i have had no issues on droid but a ton on ios..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots