DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I've lost my 1st Mavic Mini and still having problems with my 2nd

m80116

Reactions
Most of you know me for this thread Why I do believe there's a HUGE problem with the Mavic Mini - Flew AWAY the 2nd day
where I describe my experience of having the drone go missing before my eyes.

Quick recap:
  • complete sudden (apparent) loss of link (up/down) with no warning what so ever in full signal strength
  • failed to RTH
  • flight log data abruptly interrupted as per the first loss of link
  • drone not found anywhere after thorough inspection of the neighbourhood for weeks
Now... after I've received my replacement unit here's what happened.

My smartphone interface goes black and white during flight and says Aircraft not connected with RC but this is COMPLETELY WRONG because in DJI dictionary the RC is the one with the control sticks and antenna, while the attached device is called the mobile device. When this happens the AC continues to be coupled with the RC and responds promptly to user input.

Furthermore I get a bogus notice of Caution: Adjust antennas, if connection is not regained in 11 seconds failsafe RTH will be initiated, I've already tested no RTH will ever be initiated because the AC is still connected with RC. Again the information given is WRONG.

The mobile device remains in this suspended state until I pop out the RC cable and plug it back in again, after which the connection is restored and the mobile device works normally and correctly reporting the AC state.

This happened multiple times during the course of one day.
  • I've tried wiggling the cable: no result
  • I've tried wiggling both port plugs: no result
  • In one occasion the mobile device restarted itself shortly after losing connection

My mobile device is a Samsung S9+ G960F/DS. I'm quite OCD about every device I own, so everything is kept in perfectly good order, tidy, absolutely clean and functional. I am not the one with hair sticking out device ports.

This kind of occurance probably led the the loss of my first Mavic Mini. It happened while it was hovering 300m from homepoint. I think DJI should take full resposibility of what happened to my first Mini and compensate for it...and I am thankful to myself for having been so careful with my flights and able to isolate this problem.

Here's some short videos of the problem while it is happening:

Reactions: mattgod69
try a different cable if you can, and a different device ,if it still does it then it could be a faulty controller, or the side port where the device plugs into the controller, they are very easy to damage if the cable is not the correct way up

Beat me omm, that’s the first thing I would have tryed right off.

thans Dc sometimes it is hard to see the wood from the trees,when you are in a situation

I agree with the thinking that this have something to do with the connection between RC & phone.

It look like that the Fly app doesn't distinguishes between AC-RC or RC-Phone disconnection when it comes to the messages shown in the app. In all your clips the 4 RC battery leds doesn't flash simultaneously indicating that the RC is still connected to the AC & it can be controlled by the pilot.

For example ... the clip showing the BW live feed, it's the same behavior as I get when unplugging my phone from the RC with still the GO4 app flight view opened & the AC still turned on, the feed freezes & goes BW. My connection RC-AC is still up though as my RC's connection led still is green.

Seems that some honing of the Fly app interface messages is needed ...

Last edited:
It look like that the Fly app doesn't distinguishes between AC-RC or RC-Phone

It does, the app reacts with a different message when RC conn is lost (e.g. powering off the drone), only in this occasion gets confused and I have very small hope the cause is a faulty cable. I am afraid I'll have to battle against DJI to get myself a new remote (and cable for that matter) but I am not overly confident this will solve my problem. It might be sheer incompatibility.

I've recently experienced the same thing w/ a premium OBDII dongle... presumably the same device hardware revision, connected with the same car with a different mobile connected: mine didn't work, the other worked perfectly. I complained with their support for months, granting them every bleepeeotic test possible, on the likes of having to connect standing on one leg and my finger pointing the sky. Nothing worked until eventually they decided to look after it and finally solved the problem with a software update. I am guessing it was just incompatibility with my S9+.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929