DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why so much smaller file size after DaVinci Resolve render

rattanat

Reactions
Im new with video editing and wonder why my video file size is so much smaller after render. It looks same to mye eyes but does I loose some quality here, or why different size? are my settings correct if not want loose video quality

Current clip I dont do nothing to edit, just put it in to timeline and render it.

Origina vid is named: JDI_0660 alku00.19.MOV
rendered vid is named: DJI_660 no anamorpic.MOV
(Sorry abaut cryptic filenames)
8h
Screenshot 2022-03-16 011403.pngmy render options.png

Im new with video editing and wonder why my video file size is so much smaller after render. It looks same to mye eyes but does I loose some quality here, or why different size? are my settings correct if not want loose video quality

Current clip I dont do nothing to edit, just put it in to timeline and render it.

Origina vid is named: JDI_0660 alku00.19.MOV
rendered vid is named: DJI_660 no anamorpic.MOV
(Sorry abaut cryptic filenames)
8h
View attachment 145327View attachment 145328
Well your capture codec will be less compressed because you want to keep as much data as possible so that when you bring it into the editor an manipulate the colors it won’t break apart as easily. This extra data isn’t necessary making a visual impact. You have to go to very low data rates to see a difference but you will notice it when grading.

When you export from Resolve using h.265 you are using a delivery codec and since you now have no need for that extra data that isn’t making a visual impact it can be more highly compressed without any ill effect. If you are exporting with the intention of bringing it into another program where that data WILL make an impact you’d want to use an intermediate codec like ProRes.

One thing I would change though is change your encoding profile to main 10 which will give you a 10bit color export. This might make it slightly larger but it should help future proof your renders and will look a bit better on a 10 bit monitor.

I don't know if it matters but I see that you are on a windows PC and have your format set to QuickTime. I think I set that to MP4 and don't use "Apple settings". I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, that's what I love about this forum!

Yes I know, but my customer want all drone material in mov format. Usually I don't need edit it tough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots