Why sync the Go 4 app?

Bebopperoo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
After years of flying and syncing my dji app, all i have to show is-
A massive data bill
Millions of experience points
Level 40 pilot, whatever that means.
Nothing else! My app has been changed without me updating it to prevent me changing wlan settings, which it used to allow, and many threads point out that it is sometimes used to remove dat files.
What is the actual point of syncing the app, other than providing dji with user info?

Reactions: E90RAW
A massive data bill
Nothing else! My app has been changed without me updating it to prevent me changing wlan settings, which it used to allow, and many threads point out that it is sometimes used to remove dat files.
What is the actual point of syncing the app, other than providing dji with user info?
Because DJI saves it on their server forever.
So in the future you will always know about your flights with a DJI drone.
Also providing DJI with user data will probably help them make a better product.

Reactions: E90RAW
You can delay syncing and updates until you have Wi-Fi. You may consider caching the map as well, which is probably where the real data usage is coming from.

Reactions: Bekanne
You can delay syncing and updates until you have Wi-Fi. You may consider caching the map as well, which is probably where the real data usage is coming from.
I never fly with data on, in fact my device has no sim and is set to airplane mode.
I have downloaded the necessary maps, and have 3 different devices with different versions of the app, as my Spark does not work in fpv with the later versions.
The only thing i do with all 3 devices is sync.
As a result, i can no longer keep my Spark in fcc mode, which the app used to allow, after giving you the option to change. My mp and zoom are also stuck in ec mode.
So, by syncing,i have severely reduced my aircrafts range, due to djis self appointed role as police of the drone world.
(I use my drones for farm security, am miles from the next neighbor, let alone a wifi network, and was able to use the spark to about a km, a small distance when dealing with an incursion, now less than 200m. My Pro and zoom only get about 2km in ec mode).
I have no reason to want record of my thousands of flights, which went fine.
If dji wants to use my data, they have a program i can opt into.
If the sole purpose is to load my flight data to a cloud, AND MODIFY MY APP, then clearly syncing is a pointless exercise.

For those who feel i should be an outcast for "disobeying the powers that be'"s decision to allow us the most repressive bandwidth access in the world, due to a network in shambles, my life comes first, and drones which can reach kms away offer me far better protection than any officials can.

Reactions: BullDoggBoyz
I never fly with data on, in fact my device has no sim and is set to airplane mode.
I have downloaded the necessary maps, and have 3 different devices with different versions of the app, as my Spark does not work in fpv with the later versions.
The only thing i do with all 3 devices is sync.
As a result, i can no longer keep my Spark in fcc mode, which the app used to allow, after giving you the option to change. My mp and zoom are also stuck in ec mode.
So, by syncing,i have severely reduced my aircrafts range, due to djis self appointed role as police of the drone world.
(I use my drones for farm security, am miles from the next neighbor, let alone a wifi network, and was able to use the spark to about a km, a small distance when dealing with an incursion, now less than 200m. My Pro and zoom only get about 2km in ec mode).
If dji wants to use my data, they have a program i can opt into.
If the sole purpose is to load my flight data to a cloud, AND MODIFY MY APP, then clearly syncing is a pointless exercise.

For those who feel i should be an outcast for "disobeying the powers that be'"s decision to allow us the most repressive bandwidth access in the world, due to a network in shambles, my life comes first, and drones which can reach kms away offer me far better protection than any officials can.
Syncing your flight data does not modify or update the app. Only when Auto-Updates is turned on will the app itself get updated. Turn off Auto-Updates, and take back control!

The two main reasons to synch flight data are:
To submit flight data for DJI to investigate a flight incident for a warranty claim​
To keep your flight data, even when you change your phone or tablet​
I doubt anyone here would be concerned whether you do or don't synch flight data.
The choice is up to you to do what's right for you.
Synching flight data is a one-way process and does not modify your app.
Post #6 advised you how to prevent that..

Reactions: GadgetGuy
A massive data bill

You have multiple issues here.

Updating your DJI software is something that you can enable/disable, as others have explained. I personally review all updates before proceeding. The geofencing hasn't been a problem for me, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way, particularly when you have FAA clearance. I'm OK with warnings, but I don't think it's OK for DJI to act as the "drone flight police".

As to syncing your data with DJI servers, the best reason to do it is that it keeps the flight data all in one place, and lets you get the same data on all your devices, if you use more than one at a time. Alternatively, if you back up your devices, it's easy enough to restore some or all flights. The DAT and TXT files on your device have the date of the flight in the filenames.

Another reason is to help DJI to diagnose your problems. Of course, you can copy the DAT and TXT files for particular flights and send them to DJI support, or share them on this forum to get one of the resident experts to analyze them, and tell you what happened.

Finally, there's the issue of why you would you want to give DJI (and whoever else they decide to share your data with) to use for their own purposes, which may, or may not, be in your interest. They certainly have no obligation to you. I've decided NOT to sync with DJI.

If you want to see an analysis of your flight, including a substantial set of the telemetry data, you can can use a site like www.airdata.com. Even the free plan gives you a lot.

Good luck!

In order to use Airdata with the Mavic 2, you must first sync your flights with DJI.

NOT TRUE!

You CAN sync with DJI servers, but you certainly don't have to. You can let airdata.com get your log file from DJI, but you can also manually upload your files to airdata.com - it's easy, and I do it all the time - I've never sync'd with DJI in over 2 years of flying my MA.

NOT TRUE!

You CAN sync with DJI servers, but you certainly don't have to. You can let airdata.com get your log file from DJI, but you can also manually upload your files to airdata.com - it's easy, and I do it all the time - I've never sync'd with DJI in over 2 years of flying my MA.
Do you own a Mavic 2? My statement only referred to the Mavic 2 (flown with an iOS device), not the Mavic Air. If you have specific information that relates to that setup, please share.

Last edited:
Do you own a Mavic 2? My statement only referred to the Mavic 2 (flown with an iOS device), not the Mavic Air. If you have specific information that relates to that setup, please share.
Mavic Air and Mavic 2, flown using DJI GO4, put the data in the same location on your device. That location depends on which OS your device uses, Android or iOS.

See details:
As to upload, manual uploading is described here:

Mavic Air and Mavic 2, flown using DJI GO4, put the data in the same location on your device. That location depends on which OS your device uses, Android or iOS.

See details:
As to upload, manual uploading is described here:
Thank you for the clarification and the direct links. Thumbswayup
While the manual method avoids syncing with DJI, it is definitely far more cumbersome, especially if all prior 1,000 flights have already been synced with DJI, as was the case when I recently began using AirData. Using the automated method, I never have to disconnect my iPad from the RC to hook it up to a desktop, to copy off the hidden iOS files. Everything is done wirelessly within seconds immediately after the flight in the field, using the phone as a Wifi hotspot, first syncing with DJI, and then letting AirData sync with DJI, for immediate review. Checking in flight wind is helpful to review before the next flight! Glad to know, however, that both manual and automated methods are available!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929