DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would a someone not want his firmware updated?

DDS

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Got A p4 pro for repair that was having gimbal issues....SOP would be to upgrade firmware vision sensors as we do w/ all drones. However this cust would not have it. Tried explaining to him only other option would be to swap out the whole gimbal @ $800 which would be a shame if a firmware update would've fixed it. He said adamantly don't upgrade firmware nor did he want a new gimbal, he declined the repair so we sent it back

Any idea why someone would refuse a Firmware update?

Unless an upgrade is specific to an issue I'm having I avoid doing upgrades. That said, in this situation there was a problem and the upgrade may have been the fix. That being the case I don't know why the customer refused the upgrade.

Reactions: BigAl07 and DDS
Some people think "If it's not broken don't fix it" but that is a bit extreme giving the fact that a FW fix often resolves gimbal issues.

Good chance the customer hopes to avoid upgrading to one of the recent firmwares that has patched (killed) the ability to roll back to an earlier version.

Reactions: Flycaster and DDS
And removal of NFZ.
Makes sense now

I checked his zip code on airmap...and got a red first responder activity, also checked on dji flysafe and I see 2 red x's w/ a blue circle around it. Finally threw his address in google and he's only 15 miles from an intnl airport and only 20 miles from the nations capital (prob closer if you go in a strait line)

not what I would call optimal flying conditions

Reactions: Shivers
Yea, if you live by the capital.. prob won’t buy a drone. You’ll have the secret service over for dinner if ya do! My guess as soon as I saw this was NLD, and the ability to crack what ever firmware version he’s on. Like playing with the Mavic 2.... you need older firmware to change the flight angel and speed... for testing purposes only of course.

Don't want my machine "hobbled". Still on .0400 from over 2 years ago, and zero issues, no gimbal issues, NFZ limitations, performance reductions, quizes, or "forced landings".
I check Airmap, and don't do anything "stoopid"...

Reactions: DDS
Don't want my machine "hobbled". Still on .0400 from over 2 years ago, and zero issues, no gimbal issues, NFZ limitations, performance reductions, quizes, or "forced landings".
I check Airmap, and don't do anything "stoopid"...
Exactly. My guess is this exact reason.

Reactions: Flycaster
Bought my MA first week they came out and have never updated firmware. It did go in for repair once about a year and a half ago not sure if they updated firmware then.

Makes sense now

I checked his zip code on airmap...and got a red first responder activity, also checked on dji flysafe and I see 2 red x's w/ a blue circle around it. Finally threw his address in google and he's only 15 miles from an intnl airport and only 20 miles from the nations capital (prob closer if you go in a strait line)

not what I would call optimal flying conditions
He wasn’t interested in learning how to land it either, right? ?

Reactions: DDS
wasnt it on the first Mavics pros and the Inspire 1 that a FW update slowed down the top speed? i recall when they came out a 60mph top in sport mode for the Mavic and the Inspire would get close to that. then later FW updates droped em to around 40-45 mph top?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121