DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't buy a Mavic 2 or any drone that relies on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1ch

Reactions
I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.

Reactions: John St. George
I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.

Well now we know why no one buys these things and DJI is on the verge of bankruptcy - their design philosophy is completey flawed and the technology is broken. Who would have guessed?

I'm not completely clear how much responsibility the dog has for this sorry situation, but perhaps it also runs DJI firmware?

And of course the OP realises that even the P4P+ and its built in screen is powered by Android so basically a phone without the ability to make calls :D

Reactions: Vicrimo
I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!.

First, buying a $1000 phone...

I have two DJI Mavic Pros. I have flown them using a Nexus 6; a Nexus 7 tablet (dedicated unit); a BLU something-or-other (a Vivo XL I think); a Pixel 2 and Moto G4. All Android devices. I'm waiting on a $20 Huawei Sensa to use as a dedicated phone. A cheap dedicated phone.

You had magnetic interference issues because there was magnetic interference, not your phone. If I start my drone in my home office, I get magnetic interference issues. Carry it out to the yard and start it - no magnetic interference.

I use a Samsung Note 8 and have had zero issues with running DJI Go on it. My Mavic Air flies great.

Troubleshooting is a thing with tech products. Yes, you may need to leartn a few things before you are competent, and you really should read the manual, learn to fly, etc etc.

That said, bringing good equipment to the product is essential. the fact is, a phone has many, many apps that can conflict. if your environment is causing conflicts, those things must be resolved. it would be great if DJI couild control your phones environment, or guarantee there are not conflicts, but it can happen just like anything else. Its a computer.

I personally have two ipads I use professionally. They work great. on my production birdsa like the Inspire 2, i do not leave wifi on, i do not update them, and they stay exactly predictable and stable. if there is an update i want, i turn on wifi. this is done outside ANY time I may need them for work, so if i have downtime, i can handle it.

My galaxy s9 works great in a pinch too, but i do not have conflicts. OP needs to try any other device to narrow down if it is the bird or his phone. If he's unwilling to admit his phone may be the issue, and check it out, he'll never know.

RE not being able to use a case, and the plug damaging your phone.. would this be a good time to bring up that you don't need to use a phone?

mavmount.com :)

mavic2studioshot.jpg

This is extremely informative. I just put my Air and my Mavic 2 Pro in the office curio cabinet so that I will never have to endure the above enumerated frustrations.

1. The very point of USB C is that it is bidirectional and not subject to stress like micro USB. Have you stopped using your phone's charger?

2. I have used the DJI Go 4 (and the earlier DJI GO for the OSMO+) on Android 5.5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. DJI has updated the app constantly.

We don’t need/want folks like yourself flying drones anyway. If you don’t have the patience to read and understand something new you should stick with whatever it is you are doing... I have owned over 8 drones... all dji... yes life is not perfect.... but dam freaking close... stay on the ground and stay off this site/forum. Your comments are not only stupid but not worth reading... I am upset I actually read your post. I can’t wait to go home tonight and fly my M2P at dusk... tomorrow I am going to buy a Mavic air just for an overseas vacation the family and I are taking. You sir are someone who cannot be pleased. Don’t blame dji... look in the mirror... or record yourself during a rant... I am sure you have many... the problem is you. Not the drone. Not dji. Not all of us who love our gear. Just you.
As i said... good luck with life. Hope our paths never meet.

First, buying a $1000 phone...

I have two DJI Mavic Pros. I have flown them using a Nexus 6; a Nexus 7 tablet (dedicated unit); a BLU something-or-other (a Vivo XL I think); a Pixel 2 and Moto G4. All Android devices. I'm waiting on a $20 Huawei Sensa to use as a dedicated phone. A cheap dedicated phone.

You had magnetic interference issues because there was magnetic interference, not your phone. If I start my drone in my home office, I get magnetic interference issues. Carry it out to the yard and start it - no magnetic interference.

I took it to several empty fields. Same issue. Others including the link I supplied had the same issue, moving to a different location did not fix it for them. If did not fix it for me. But the reality, because of this issue. I could not update the firmware or even access functions on the app. The support guy could not figure it out either. He suggested the problem was with my phone. IF there was really magnetic interference they why would he tell me to get a different phone?

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
And of course the OP realises that even the P4P+ and its built in screen is powered by Android so basically a phone without the ability to make calls :D
Wouldn't buy one of those either.
If DJI depends on android, the next android update could kill whatever device it is. If DJI or any manufacturer does not update their app, it no longer works. I have purchase apps that no longer work because of phone updates.

That may be your opinion, but it is not based in fact.
Sorry to break the news to you, but he was speaking the truth.
You, on the other hand are way out of your depth and making guesses based on no understanding.

Reactions: SXViper03
Troubleshooting is a thing with tech products. Yes, you may need to leartn a few things before you are competent, and you really should read the manual, learn to fly, etc etc.

That said, bringing good equipment to the product is essential. the fact is, a phone has many, many apps that can conflict. if your environment is causing conflicts, those things must be resolved. it would be great if DJI couild control your phones environment, or guarantee there are not conflicts, but it can happen just like anything else. Its a computer.

I personally have two ipads I use professionally. They work great. on my production birdsa like the Inspire 2, i do not leave wifi on, i do not update them, and they stay exactly predictable and stable. if there is an update i want, i turn on wifi. this is done outside ANY time I may need them for work, so if i have downtime, i can handle it.

My galaxy s9 works great in a pinch too, but i do not have conflicts. OP needs to try any other device to narrow down if it is the bird or his phone. If he's unwilling to admit his phone may be the issue, and check it out, he'll never know.

RE not being able to use a case, and the plug damaging your phone.. would this be a good time to bring up that you don't need to use a phone?

mavmount.com :)

Funny how people assume you don't read the manual. Of course I read it. I also watched many videos on first set up.

You said "a phone has many, many apps that can conflict. " My point exactly, a good reason not to use it as a dependency for the unit to work.

You said "on my production birdsa like the Inspire 2, i do not leave wifi on, i do not update them, and they stay exactly predictable and stable. " As I said, if you are a professional, you will put up with things like this. You will have dedicated hardware. I multi boot my PC. I have boots that are dedicated to music/video production or gaming, or photography, so you don't have a lot of unnecessary background processes running. Which is why my opinion is DJI should not use the phone as a platform in which the system is needed.

You said"RE not being able to use a case, and the plug damaging your phone.. would this be a good time to bring up that you don't need to use a phone?"

Are you saying I do not need the phone to operate the drone? If that was the case why didn't support tell me that? I was under the impression it was required, it was needed to update the firmware and other functions. If the support people don't know this, how am I suppose to know this?

Your statement make me even more frustrated if it is true.

Reactions: Steve Murray
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S