DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi/ RC issue

Scratch83

Reactions
Hi,

I’ve bought my first drone. Got myself the Mavic Mini. It was a bit spur of the moment but I’ve watched a few videos and have noticed that my display is slightly different to the guys in the videos. In the top right it shows a signal bar (like a phone signal) with RC above it and the gps signal showing 15 satellites. On all of the videos i can find online it has a WiFi symbol and they manage to get (on one particular video) 3.4 miles of range whereas on my first flight it started cutting out at 200 meters...

I’ve obviously set it up wrong in some way and now it’s not giving me its best. Any ideas on how I’ve cocked this up so bad??

Thanks for the help...

A lot of that depends on where you are actually flying.

I can see you are in the UK. Where exactly are you trying to fly?

I’m up in North Yorkshire on a field just round the back of my house. There are quite a few restricted areas near me (military bases) but I’m not flying close to them. I know that the controller connects to the drone via WiFi and was expecting it to automatically connect it.

I forgot to mention that I’m using a Samsung S10 if that makes any difference...

I’m up in North Yorkshire on a field just round the back of my house. There are quite a few restricted areas near me (military bases) but I’m not flying close to them. I know that the controller connects to the drone via WiFi and was expecting it to automatically connect it.

I forgot to mention that I’m using a Samsung S10 if that makes any difference...
The S10 is fine, your controller handles Comms between the you and your drone.

Have you looked at the drone assist app? I only ask as you mentioned that you were quite near some military areas... there could be a lot of interference with signal.

Can you go and try a flight somewhere else just up rule that out?

I've got a MM and it's rock solid over level ground.

I can’t go give it a go in a different location tomorrow.

Is it worth doing a factory reset and starting again?? If so, how the hell do I do that???

I can’t go give it a go in a different location tomorrow.

Is it worth doing a factory reset and starting again?? If so, how the hell do I do that???
I wouldn't bother with a factory reset for now. Get yourself out somewhere quiet with good line of sight, fields are good... stay away from military installations, towns, villages.

I managed 1400m a few days ago with a box fresh MM in exactly those conditions, before I chickened out and headed for home... and to be fair, it was quite hard to see.

The UK model has 2 bands it canntransmit on: 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz. The range on 5.8ghz is only about 500m in good conditions. The range on 2.4ghz is more like 2km. You can manually select between the bands in the settings, low channel numbers are 2.4ghz and high numbers are 5.8ghz. If you're close to houses expect those ranges to be much shorter due to wifi interference

I tried changing to 2.4 ghz but it wont let me change from 5.8 ghz. Trying to select it does nothing

Do you have the FCC or the CEE Version? Just look on the Remote controller sticker, then post back.

I tried changing to 2.4 ghz but it wont let me change from 5.8 ghz. Trying to select it does nothing
Please note also, that you may change mode and channels only before the flight. Meaning, as soon you start the flight, those wifi setting can not be changed. I was also in this trap while ago, but than I learned that changing to manual and channel selection can not be done during the flight. Regarding distances, I usually reach 800m with 2.4GHz or 400m on 5.8GHz, but I do not wonder as this is due to relative proximity to hauses and GSM antennas (need to go further from Prague city...), both causing interferrence.

So i thought rather than try to explain i would just do a screenshot of my phone. Are the signal symbols in the top right correct or have i done something stupid during the setup?? When i took set up for flying i was out in the middle of nowhere in a little hamlet in Cumbria. There were about 3 houses...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-210639_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-210639_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
They're the new signal symbols and look normal to me. A lot of screenshots you'll see posted on the net have the old symbols as the update only happened recently. I don't think the manual has been updated yet to show the new symbols either.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Scratch83
This makes me happy. Thank you.

So when people are getting their drones 2-3 miles away i assume that they are able to do.this by maintaining some sort of Line Of Sight?? The longest ive seen is a guy in Hawaii who got 3.43 miles

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929