DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will a 3rd Party GPS Tracker Work?

SharkByte

Reactions
This is kind of a two part question. I had a major crash about a couple weeks after I bought my Mavic 2 Pro. Took it up in the air around 600 feet only about 20 feet away at night. I lost signal with it only 90 seconds after take-off, and couldn't find it at all. Luckily the next day, we found it, but suffered significant damage (somehow, the battery must have popped out as well before the crash or after it lost signal) that DJI repaired free of cost. Somehow, it just lost signal and went down. Flight logs didn't tell much.

Anyway, to prevent looking blindly in the woods for another crashed drone (if it happens again), is there a fairly inexpensive 3rd party GPS tracker that I can attach to the Mavic 2 that will work? I question this because I'm not sure if the Mavic is designed perfectly for its weight & size that any foreign objects may disrupt its balance or flight. I see there are a few out there, but I'm not sure if they would work with the Mavic 2. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
two things what happened to the 400ft agl flight rule and if it was only 20ft away you would probably have heard it crash and you were luky it didnt hit you or any one else

Reactions: Krvelasco
two things what happened to the 400ft agl flight rule and if it was only 20ft away you would probably have heard it crash and you were luky it didnt hit you or any one else

The flight height on the Mavic 2 is around 400 meters using the DJI Go 4 app (a little over 1300 feet). I was also in a very rural area without any flight restriction. We heard some kind of branch snap shortly after I lost control, but because it was 600+ feet in the air, I didn't think that would be the drone. When it lost signal, I assumed maybe the wind took it too far off course, since it was a little gusty.

However, because of that assumption, I was looking in the dark for it well off where it landed. If I had a GPS tracker attached, I could have located it. Since the battery popped out somewhere during the crash, there was no way to communicate with it to the controller. So would a GPS tracker work if I applied one in the future (something like TILE or similar)?

I had found such a device a few weeks ago but lost track of it (maybe I need a gps to track my online searches!)

So I just entered "gps tracking drone" into duck-duck (or google) and turned up a variety of options. Marco Polo was the one I initially found - not cheap but no subscription. But also more stuff to lug along). There's another that reports using cell phone sim - needs cell coverage so not for remote areas - uses subscription.

I don't know if I will be that OUT-THERE that I actually need it. But could lose it in snowy fields.

Sorry to hear of your damaged M2P, and glad to hear you found it.

I use a tracker, Trackimo is great. Lightweight and covers the globe, it’s already saved two drones found them right were Trackimo showed them to be.

We can’t always depend with the app (find my drone) feature, disconnects happen and drone can land or crash a great distance from last signal especially on a fly away.

This tracker has already paid for itself 10 fold, fly at ease with a Trackimo.

Good luck,
Paul

BB5E5E64-BE9E-42A5-A90A-24A7516A22AF.jpeg

Don’t trackimo use cell service to work

I just bought a Trackr Pro, it's Bluetooth and is suppose to have a 300 meter range.

I prefer a device which needs no cell service or GPS which is why I went with the Marco-Polo. Google it. Very lightweight and works like a charm!

The flight height on the Mavic 2 is around 400 meters using the DJI Go 4 app (a little over 1300 feet). I was also in a very rural area without any flight restriction. We heard some kind of branch snap shortly after I lost control, but because it was 600+ feet in the air, I didn't think that would be the drone. When it lost signal, I assumed maybe the wind took it too far off course, since it was a little gusty.

However, because of that assumption, I was looking in the dark for it well off where it landed. If I had a GPS tracker attached, I could have located it. Since the battery popped out somewhere during the crash, there was no way to communicate with it to the controller. So would a GPS tracker work if I applied one in the future (something like TILE or similar)?
in the uk the max hieght you can legally fly is set at 400ft agl no matter where abouts you are in the uk i presumed that was the case where you are maybe i was wrong

I prefer a device which needs no cell service or GPS which is why I went with the Marco-Polo. Google it. Very lightweight and works like a charm!

Have you had more than one occasion to use it? While the "on-board tracker" is fairly small and light, you do have to take the "locator" unit - meaning more stuff to lug along. I see it kind of works like an avalanche beacon as you move around the suspected target.

Have you had more than one occasion to use it? While the "on-board tracker" is fairly small and light, you do have to take the "locator" unit - meaning more stuff to lug along. I see it kind of works like an avalanche beacon as you move around the suspected target.

I have not had to use it (for real yet), but I have played hide and seek with it to practice using the locator and I must say I am impressed. Very easy to use and extremely accurate, it will put you right on top of the on-board tracker. I called and talked to them before buying and was impressed with their no Bullsh*t down to earth attitude. You do have to carry the tracker but it's not really that big and fits nicely in my Avalanche 4800 case which I purchased from Harbor Freight. The on-board tracker is small and easily attached to the Mavic arm with Velcro, I add a small Velcro strap around it as insurance but you probably don't need it. The on-board tracker stays in "stand-by" mode until the locator activates it. The advantages of not needing cell service or GPS subscription sold me on it.

Reactions: ff22
I like the idea of the marco polo also as there are a few of us that don’t fly near towns or city’s . There is zero cell service where I go to play . I am always shocked a bit seeing all the video clips of drones flying over houses and streets and highways . I myself see zero reason for anyone to fly in town or city limits . When I see the busy streets below it’s only a matter of time and a drone crash will cause a big pile up . This is only one hillbillies view .

I never fly without my Trakimo! It has saved me twice so far. led me right to my down drone. did not even need for the Bluetooth locator. It uses Cell, GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth! pretty much covers all bases. Find my drone can get you into the area, but my first downed drone was a Good Long Block away from where it located it to be. My Trakimo has definitely paid for itself already! BTW- IOS App is nicer than Android Version.

Sorry to hear of your damaged M2P, and glad to hear you found it.

I use a tracker, Trackimo is great. Lightweight and covers the globe, it’s already saved two drones found them right were Trackimo showed them to be.

We can’t always depend with the app (find my drone) feature, disconnects happen and drone can land or crash a great distance from last signal especially on a fly away.

This tracker has already paid for itself 10 fold, fly at ease with a Trackimo.

Good luck,
Paul

View attachment 55583
That is a nice little mount. I just have Velcro Pad on side which seems to work fine on Mavic 2, because it is thicker than Original Mavic Pro. Where could one purchase your version?

I have not had to use it (for real yet), but I have played hide and seek with it to practice using the locator and I must say I am impressed. Very easy to use and extremely accurate, it will put you right on top of the on-board tracker. I called and talked to them before buying and was impressed with their no Bullsh*t down to earth attitude. You do have to carry the tracker but it's not really that big and fits nicely in my Avalanche 4800 case which I purchased from Harbor Freight. The on-board tracker is small and easily attached to the Mavic arm with Velcro, I add a small Velcro strap around it as insurance but you probably don't need it. The on-board tracker stays in "stand-by" mode until the locator activates it. The advantages of not needing cell service or GPS subscription sold me on it.

Being even more nosy - the cheaper or more expensive (waterproof/resistant??) version?

Being even more nosy - the cheaper or more expensive (waterproof/resistant??) version?

I got the basic unit it comes with shrink wrap around it but obviously would be exposed if it went in water. The waterproof one has a little plastic case around it to waterproof it. You could seal it yourself if you really wanted/needed to.

Reactions: ff22
My solution doesn't cost me anything extra since I already have whistle trackers on both of my dogs...when I fly, one of them goes "unprotected" for a spell.

One of my dogs chewed the tracker up on the other dog so that left me with a spare collar mount and even a spare charger once I replaced the whole whistle.
I printed the mount in ABS and used heavy duty two sided mounting tape to permanently attach the mount for the whistle onto the mount for the drone.So it securely goes on and off really fast and easy.
The tracker charges in about an hour and lasts for 1-2 weeks as long as it is in powersave mode. When activated the battery lasts 3-4 days while pinging via cellular. Gives you a nice live map view of the location and plenty of time to find it.
Waterproof and only weighs a few grams. I can't tell any difference in flight time with it on the drone.

Not a free solution if you don't already have the tracker but it costs less than Drone Hull insurance.

Costs: $6ish a month for the Whistle tracker service which is Cellular.
$60ish for a new tracker (if you don't already have one on your dog)

My print came out better than the one on Thingiverse :)
DJI Mavic 2 Accessories Mount by mjhall29

This is the mount on my Mavic 2 Zoom
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z49WzBxJR8HquzGo9

Nondem: I for one am impressed! Been giving serious thought to picking up a 3D printer myself and this is a perfect job for one. Thanks for providing the links to the STL's but not being very familiar with Thingiverse, I'm wondering if the "Mavic2_accholder4.stl" is your mod? I'd also be curious to know if that was you who "built" the "Home made core XY" printer and if not, what printer DO you have? TIA.

Yes...the "Mavic2_accholder4.stl" is what I printed. I've got a few years of experience w/3d printers and currently own two. The one I use mostly is a "Wilson II" which comes in kit form. It is just under $500 for the complete kit.
Reprap Wilson II complete 3D printer kit by Marty Rice on Tindie

I would strongly recommend you avoid the $200 kits from China. They work but come w/the cheapest components known to man :) The money saved ends up costing you lots of time and hassle. I learned this by buying and suffering with my first printer.
The Wilson comes w/quality name brand components where it counts and it generally "just works" once you get it assembled and dialed-in. There are other good printers out there - I've had the WIlson II for well over a year and would buy another just like it.

nondem: Many thanks for the printer info. My nephew has been into 3D printing for about a year after he got his first (cheap Red Chinese) printer for Christmas last year. He just texted me the other day to tell me about a new one he is looking to get. It's a Creality Ender 3 but for the price, I'm guessing it's just another crappy Chinese product. I like the idea of saving money with a kit as long as you don't have to be Chinese to assemble it. <grin> I will most definitely take a look at the Wilson II.

Thanks again, dude...

Yes...the "Mavic2_accholder4.stl" is what I printed. I've got a few years of experience w/3d printers and currently own two. The one I use mostly is a "Wilson II" which comes in kit form. It is just under $500 for the complete kit.
Reprap Wilson II complete 3D printer kit by Marty Rice on Tindie

I would strongly recommend you avoid the $200 kits from China. They work but come w/the cheapest components known to man :) The money saved ends up costing you lots of time and hassle. I learned this by buying and suffering with my first printer.
The Wilson comes w/quality name brand components where it counts and it generally "just works" once you get it assembled and dialed-in. There are other good printers out there - I've had the WIlson II for well over a year and would buy another just like it.

I looked at the website and was wondering how long has it been since you've done business with them? It only shows 1 blue printer available and the latest review was in Oct 2017. Are they still in business? Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929