DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will air 2 still auto return to home if you lose GPS lock

Craig Notts

Reactions
After taking off with the air 2 a message said gps signal was weak despite showing 15 or more satellites and the maps wouldn't load . It also temporarily went to attitude mode . I was flying whilst streaming data from my phone so I should have had maps. Because of this I brought it back down to land. If this had happened while flying much further away would it still have been able to auto return if I have no GPS or maps . It's the first time this has happened. I was in a very rural area

If loosing GPS signal the RTH functionality doesn't work ... quite obvious as without that, the AC don't know where it is let alone find it's way back to the HP.

Streaming data from your phone ... don't quite follow you there, did you fly with your phone which had mobile internet, or did you stream something else? If it was fully connected you should have had a map loaded ... but if you really had problems with the GPS connection it might have refused loading one as it didn't knew what to load.

RTH absolutely relies on the drone receiving a GPS (and/or GLONASS) signal.

It brings up a couple of interesting questions. First, how did you lose GPS? Were you flying under an obstruction or tree cover? Second, I wonder what happens if the drone loses radio contact with the RC when it has no GPS signal? It can't RTH, and it may not be able to hover, depending on whether it can clearly see the ground texture. I guess it will descend to land?

RTH absolutely relies on the drone receiving a GPS (and/or GLONASS) signal.

It brings up a couple of interesting questions. First, how did you lose GPS? Were you flying under an obstruction or tree cover? Second, I wonder what happens if the drone loses radio contact with the RC when it has no GPS signal? It can't RTH, and it may not be able to hover, depending on whether it can clearly see the ground texture. I guess it will descend to land?
If the AC is in ATTI mode when it looses the RC connection it will land.

If the AC is in ATTI mode when it looses the RC connection it will land.
Where did you dig that gem up from?
I just tried it, (indoors so no GPS and switched the controller off) it just hovered, for several minutes.....BUT...when I switched the controller back on and it reconnected there was a "landing site unsuitable" message 'waiting', when I acknowledged that down she went.

I just tried it, (indoors so no GPS and switched the controller off) it just hovered, for several minutes.....BUT...when I switched the controller back on and it reconnected there was a "landing site unsuitable" message 'waiting', when I acknowledged that down she went.
That's how DJI drones always have worked ...

Reactions: jkissing

Indoors is not ATTI, it’s using the bottom sensors to maintain position. In ATTI mode it can’t hover in place so landing actually makes sense rather than being taken away by the wind

If loosing GPS signal the RTH functionality doesn't work ... quite obvious as without that, the AC don't know where it is let alone find it's way back to the HP.

Streaming data from your phone ... don't quite follow you there, did you fly with your phone which had mobile internet, or did you stream something else? If it was fully connected you should have had a map loaded ... but if you really had problems with the GPS connection it might have refused loading one as it didn't knew what to load.
Many thanks for that glad I didn't take the chance then and brought it straight back . I was flying with my iPad mini whilst tethering to my phone as I always do to keep my maps on.

Many thanks glad I brought it back down then . I was flying using iPad mini with it tethered to my phone to load my maps as I always do. It just didn't seem happy to load maps in that location . I drove to a different location and all seemed fine so I will see what happens and try again tomorrow

Indoors is not ATTI, it’s using the bottom sensors to maintain position. In ATTI mode it can’t hover in place so landing actually makes sense rather than being taken away by the wind
All true, but assuming the drone is initially high enough to be above the range of the VPS sensors and given that it does descend, then it will, at some point, descend into the range of those sensors and then surely be in the same boat as an indoors drone.
Alternatively it could intiially be low enough to be within VPS sensor range.

Last edited by a moderator:
does that mean it landed? or crashed?

After taking off with the air 2 a message said gps signal was weak despite showing 15 or more satellites and the maps wouldn't load . It also temporarily went to attitude mode . I was flying whilst streaming data from my phone so I should have had maps. Because of this I brought it back down to land. If this had happened while flying much further away would it still have been able to auto return if I have no GPS or maps . It's the first time this has happened. I was in a very rural area

a message said gps signal was weak despite showing 15 or more satellites and the maps wouldn't load
This was a message comming from your phone, meaning your phone had a weak GPS signal and did not know where it was, and because of that it did not know which maps to load.
The 15 or more satelites from the aircraft confirms this.
The DJI (Fly) app uses the phone's location to load maps, not the aircraft location.

Be careful.... I ran into GPS issues a while back which required me to quickly take command of the flight and FORCE it to return to home. After three similar situations I sent it back, and it was replaced. Thanks to a faulty GPS processor within the drone. NOT GOOD!!! So now I have a new MA2, but what I really want is the 2S. LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69