DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will be in San Diego next weekend, where to fly!

Aero1

Reactions
Hi Gentleman,
Just wanted to see if there were any new areas that folks have found interesting to fly. I will be trying out Sunset Cliffs Natural Park, Sunset Seat up near Delmar and La Jolla Cove. I am trying to stay near Old Town San Diego as that is where I will be staying. Let me know of any restrictions in these areas. Greatly appreciate any travel info available.

Fly Safe

Post your footage and flag me with an @ symbol in front of my username. I miss San Diego so much and would love to see all its beautiful sights even if I cant be there.

Will do BD0G, not to sound to computer illiterate, but I am old, what does it mean to, "flag me with an @ symbol in front of my username", not familiar with this. And yes again, I am old. Will definitely share some footage. Hope the weather is good.

I traveled to San Diego for the first time last year. About a week before I went, I decided to buy my first drone, a Mavic Air. I knew very little about drone flying, restrictions and videography. I did as much research that I could before I left, but was still very nervous and timid about most things with the drone. Anyways, I took an afternoon and just started driving and looking for secluded, scenic places to fly. I just happen to drive by Sunet Seat and stopped there. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon, and rather breezy, but a beautiful clear sunny day, and there was not a single person there! I flew there for about 15 minutes and got the best footage as capable with my skill level at that point (which was not very good). I also flew the next day at Sunset Cliffs, but I will say that Sunset Seat is the more scenic place to fly. It really was breathtaking for me. I hope to go back there and get better video someday. I loved SD and want to go back!

Hi Gentleman,
Just wanted to see if there were any new areas that folks have found interesting to fly. I will be trying out Sunset Cliffs Natural Park, Sunset Seat up near Delmar and La Jolla Cove. I am trying to stay near Old Town San Diego as that is where I will be staying. Let me know of any restrictions in these areas. Greatly appreciate any travel info available.

Fly Safe
Lots of great places! Also ALOT of coastal NFZs, so check before you fly. Torrey Pines State Park is scenic as well as La Jolla Cove. Cove has alot of people around though....have fun!

Reactions: zzxrox and kjcbid54
I traveled to San Diego for the first time last year. About a week before I went, I decided to buy my first drone, a Mavic Air. I knew very little about drone flying, restrictions and videography. I did as much research that I could before I left, but was still very nervous and timid about most things with the drone. Anyways, I took an afternoon and just started driving and looking for secluded, scenic places to fly. I just happen to drive by Sunet Seat and stopped there. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon, and rather breezy, but a beautiful clear sunny day, and there was not a single person there! I flew there for about 15 minutes and got the best footage as capable with my skill level at that point (which was not very good). I also flew the next day at Sunset Cliffs, but I will say that Sunset Seat is the more scenic place to fly. It really was breathtaking for me. I hope to go back there and get better video someday. I loved SD and want to go back!
I’ve lived in San Diego for 40 years and have never heard of Sunset Seat. Where is it? As far as places to fly; La Jolla, Torrey Pines, and Sunset Cliffs to name a few.

Reactions: zzxrox
Will do BD0G, not to sound to computer illiterate, but I am old, what does it mean to, "flag me with an @ symbol in front of my username", not familiar with this. And yes again, I am old. Will definitely share some footage. Hope the weather is good.

It just means to add an at @ symbol directly in front of my username in the thread where you post the footage. I will receive a notification that you posted the footage and can find the thread more easily.

What Larry said for beach flying. I've lived here in San Diego all my life. Just stay away from the downtown area by the Airport. Use Airmap and you will see the zones around there.

Someone told me you could fly at Sunset Cliffs Natural Park, but it looks like it is within the five mile radius. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Downtown is very pretty given the weather. Keep in mind the no fly zones and and Petco park stadium might have a TFR. I just called the SD international airport, have them my flight details, and I had no problem. Security from everywhere will get mad until you explain you have permission. Also flying over Petco park is a no-no. Call 619-299-0677 and press extension 2. That’s the person you want to talk to for permission. I don’t think she is there weekends.

Thanks Cpflynn04, can you tell me what information that I will need to provide the SD International Airport when I call them. Any information would be of great help.

Thanks Cpflynn04, can you tell me what information that I will need to provide the SD International Airport when I call them. Any information would be of great help.

No problem! I told them that I would be flying the quad under part 101e around the SD Convention center no more than 20 feet above the nearest tallest building. She also wanted to know the time frame that I would be flying and my phone number Incase they needed to call back.

Oh by the way the SD convention center doesn’t like drones taking off and flying on their property. Another tip is don’t fly by the Coronado bridge or too far over that water because there are a lot of low flying military aircraft

Thanks so much Cpflynn04, I won't be flying until Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I was going to try and give them a call tomorrow to see if I need to call day with my flight schedule. I am going to try to keep my bird in the air as much as I can over the 2 1/2 days I will be there. And you mentioned she wasn't there on weekends so I thought a call tomorrow would work. Thanks again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+