DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will be purchasing my first drone - Jan from Germany

xardas

Reactions
Hey folks, it's nice to be here.
My name is Jan and I'am from germany.

For years now I waited to get a drone but with my next holiday destinations, I can't wait any longer.
I just can't get my head around which one to buy.

So what i figured from Youtube videos:

MAVIC AIR:
Quality:
+ sharper jpg (same RAW files)*
- no D-log
- softer video*

Design:
+ compact/weight
+ toy like (less disturbing to others)
- controller: no brightness adjustments
- only WIFI connection

MAVIC PRO:
Quality:
+ sharper video*
- blurry jpg (same RAW files)*

Design:
+ longer flight time
- bad gimbal transport protection
- gimbal problems might occur (tilt)
- possible focus problems (forgot to set focus)

*The best image and video comparison I found in a german comparison between both drones tested on the ground:

Basically I can get both for the same price.
As I mentioned it will be my first drone and as I know myself I will buy the MAVIC pro 2.
So also selling is one issue here for me.

So what do you think?

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey folks, it's nice to be here.
My name is Jan and I'am from germany.

For years now I waited to get a drone but with my next holiday destinations, I can't wait any longer.
I just can't get my head around which one to buy.

So what i figured from Youtube videos:

MAVIC AIR:
Quality:
+ sharper jpg (same RAW files)*
- no D-log
- softer video*

Design:
+ compact/weight
+ toy like (less disturbing to others)
- controller: no brightness adjustments
- only WIFI connection

MAVIC PRO:
Quality:
+ sharper video*
- blurry jpg (same RAW files)*

Design:
+ longer flight time
- bad gimbal transport protection
- gimbal problems might occur (tilt)
- possible focus problems (forgot to set focus)

*The best image and video comparison I found in a german comparison between both drones tested on the ground:

Basically I can get both for the same price.
As I mentioned it will be my first drone and as I know myself I will buy the MAVIC pro 2.
So also selling is one issue here for me.

So what do you think?
Howdy from Wyoming @xardas , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Regarding which one to buy - I can only offer an opinion based on flying/packing a mavic pro. The pro has been out for quite some time now; most of the bugs are worked out and community support is abundant as are accessories, parts, and third party software. Price has dropped at least a couple of hundred dollars from release making it a great value right now. It's not significantly larger than the air and is very easily packed or carried anywhere, has occusync which is generally outstanding especially in populated areas, it's quiet (even more so with platinum props), has telemetry on the RC (I consider this a huge plus). I also find the pro more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe the video specs aren't quite as good as the air, but I doubt the vast majority of people would ever notice. The pro takes outstanding video and pictures for its size if you are capable of making proper adjustments to camera settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: robmacom
Ha Jan,
Welcome!

What is your goal with the drone? Fun flying, or photography/Filming?
From your post mentioning holiday destinations, I figure it will be the latter.

And if so, what will you be filming mainly?
As from my own experience, I like less to film myself and those around me, and more features of the landscape and such. Therefore, I would prefer the pro, due to it's more robust connection (occusync of the Pro vs Wi-Fi of the Air).

However, if you mention that you will be getting the pro anyway and will be selling this first drone on, I think I would go or the air, as that will be less likely to loose money in case the Mavic Pro 2 comes up...

Reactions: robmacom
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Thank you all very much for this warm welcome.

And I think I also found the solution for my problem - and will choose the MP over the MA for film/photos. Thanks for the response.

I am curios of all the information I can get from this forum.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929