DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI allow drones that are not Remote ID Compliant to take off?

NJGlover

Reactions
This thought popped in my head yesterday that it is possible that DJI could prevent me from taking off if my Mavic Pro has not been made remote ID compliant by the deadline. They could basically make the whole US a NFZ. Anyone want to speculate on how likely that is? I suspect DJI RID modules will be coming at some point, and hopefully will be cost-effective. I don't plan to fly unless I am compliant anyway, but it would be an interesting move if they ground everything that isn't RID compliant.

Reactions: Rchawks
This thought popped in my head yesterday that it is possible that DJI could prevent me from taking off if my Mavic Pro has not been made remote ID compliant by the deadline. They could basically make the whole US a NFZ. Anyone want to speculate on how likely that is? I suspect DJI RID modules will be coming at some point, and hopefully will be cost-effective. I don't plan to fly unless I am compliant anyway, but it would be an interesting move if they ground everything that isn't RID compliant.

How would they know if you attached a non DJI RID module? You'd be compliant but there would be no way for the app to know. I would think that kind of behavior would get them into monopoly trouble (not that they don't already have enough trouble on their plate as it is).

This is covered on FAA's Remote ID page. "Remote ID capability through module attached to drone" is on of the allowable ways to comply with the RID requirement in the US. There would be no reason for DJI to disable drones without an internal RID system.

Also keep in mind that the rule says the rid solution provided by the manufacturer must include a mechanism to prevent taking off should the rid not function. Not to be confused with preventing take-off in the absence of rid.

Also keep in mind that the rule says the rid solution provided by the manufacturer must include a mechanism to prevent taking off should the rid not function. Not to be confused with preventing take-off in the absence of rid.
I don't think that is correct. Do you have a source for that requirement? Based on the FAA's RemoteID Final Rule, the responsibility is for the operator to ensure that the RID equipment is fully functional.
RemoteID Final Rule said:
A person can operate a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft only if: (1) it has a serial number that is listed on an FAA-accepted declaration of compliance; (2) its remote identification equipment is functional and complies with the requirements of the rule from takeoff to shutdown; (3) its remote identification equipment and functionality have not been disabled; and (4) the Certificate of Aircraft Registration of the unmanned aircraft used in the operation must include the serial number of the unmanned aircraft, as per applicable requirements of parts 47 and 48, or the serial number of the unmanned aircraft must be provided to the FAA in a notice of identification pursuant to § 89.130 prior to the operation

Nowhere in the "Final Rule" does it mandate that manufacturer must include a mechanism for preventing takeoff if the builtin RID is not functioning.

I don't think that is correct. Do you have a source for that requirement? Based on the FAA's RemoteID Final Rule, the responsibility is for the operator to ensure that the RID equipment is fully functional.

Nowhere in the "Final Rule" does it mandate that manufacturer must include a mechanism for preventing takeoff if the builtin RID is not functioning.
The discussion begins on page 91 and while I appreciate the distinction between the responsibilities and placing the onus on the operator or the manufacturer, I think we are safe to say DJI seems to have chosen the latter in their implementation. I'm not the expert and i have not read the entire final rule completely and in detail but I am under the impression that disabling rid on a drone with built-in rid will likely prevent it from taking off. I get the impression that is the way the FAA has intended it to work....but I could be wrong. Also I see the same is being said for an external module (not sure how) but I still feel as if a drone which has no RID whatsoever then DJI has no plans to ground it.

How would they know if you attached a non DJI RID module?
This. They wouldn't -- and therefore would have no business in attempting to prevent drones from taking off.

Of course! I'm not sure how this rumor started, but DJI and others have no desire to brick non-compliant drones. Nor do that have a reason.

Manufacturers have no way of knowing if the owner has installed an RID module, or if they're flying in a FRIA.z

So no, this will NOT happen. And please spread the word. This rumor has to stop.

I noticed in my Mavic 2 Pro settings (Go 4 App) there is a place to add remote ID information. It's under main controller settings and then "remote Identification". Perhaps the RI broadcast is coming, or its already broadcasting.

Of course! I'm not sure how this rumor started, but DJI and others have no desire to brick non-compliant drones. Nor do that have a reason.

Manufacturers have no way of knowing if the owner has installed an RID module, or if they're flying in a FRIA.z

So no, this will NOT happen. And please spread the word. This rumor has to stop.
Also, rid is not required in Frias, if DJI, which they won’t, bricked all their drones without rid, they could fly in FAA approved Frias.

If they are worried about liability DJI could add a screen which tells you that you may need an external remote ID module and has you accept responsibility for that. The same as they do right now for flying near an airport (but not so near as to require an unlock).

Reactions: JohnSWood
Also, rid is not required in Frias, if DJI, which they won’t, bricked all their drones without rid, they could fly in FAA approved Frias.
I believe "bricked" in this context means totally disabling the drone completely meaning it will never fly anywhere ever again.

I noticed in my Mavic 2 Pro settings (Go 4 App) there is a place to add remote ID information. It's under main controller settings and then "remote Identification". Perhaps the RI broadcast is coming, or its already broadcasting.
In theory, the Mavic 2 could be upgraded to transmit RID. It's just a custom data packet going out over 2.4Ghz and OcuSync is basically an optimized protocol over 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz. There may be technical reasons why DJI couldn't enable RID, but the radio should support it. The big question is more of does DJI want to support drone models no longer manufactured or sold.

It's already broadcasting. They are simply making it so third party apps can see them.

It's already broadcasting. They are simply making it so third party apps can see them.
And you're saying there is a way to broadcast without 3rd party app being able to see them? That shouldn't be possible since RID has a standard format.

That setting was for Aeroscope and basically just tags the existing telemetry with an ID that you can define. It is not related to the RID message protocol that is required by the FAA and other aviation authorities.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo