DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will getting a license from FAA allow to fly in places that is now restricted? Washington DC area.

hassanchop

Reactions
Hi,

I just got my Mavic and love it so far (hasn't flown away from me yet). I live right outside the Washington DC area and I'm on the border of the no fly zone. I had some questions around if getting a license has benefits.

I do plan on using this for real estate photography which I will definitely need a license for but was curious if the license allows me more leverage.

For example: Say I wast to take arieal footage of a house with 10 miles of an airport or I want to take arieal footage of a house within a no fly zone.

Does having the license allow me to fly in places that I other wise would not be able to?

No. Commercial flights are ultimately more restricted than recreational flights. It's a little counter-intuitive, but a result of legislation.

you still have to unlock NFZ,the license just makes you legal to fly overall.

Yes and no.

As said above, in some ways it is MORE restrictive to fly commercially, because if you are flying recreationally you only need to notify an airport if within 5 miles.

But, if you are part 107, flying commercially you need not notify the airport if it is class G, (smaller airports without towers) so in that regard it does free you up somewhat, but as stated above, other classes will require authorizations.

Keep in mind, you can fly recreationally, any time you choose, even if you are part 107, so you do get the best of both worlds, that way.

If you get your license you can then file for waivers to fly in airspace that is restricted to hobby fliers but the approval time is very, very slow. Starting tomorrow there is a new "dronezone portal" that waivers will be requested from so hopefully that will streamline the process. You can get more info here... Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Just to clarify a little bit - the only class of airspace that is restricted for recreational flight is B, though you may request permission.

I suspect you'd have equally low chances of getting authorization in class B regardless of a flight being recreational or commercial.

Just to clarify a little bit - the only class of airspace that is restricted for recreational flight is B, though you may request permission.

I suspect you'd have equally low chances of getting authorization in class B regardless of a flight being recreational or commercial.

Not true.
The prohibited area around DC is just that.

I meant airspace classes "proper". Regardless of the "class" of airspace you are in - yes there can be further restrictions that prevent anyone from flying.

Be careful what you post regarding legality.
Further, it is not all that difficult to get authorization in class B if you know what you are doing and can make that case.
It would be very difficult if you are a hobbyist and know little about it.

Directly from FAA website:

DC No Drone Zone
The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outerring.

• Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
  • Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked (if it is not operated exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, pending NOTAM change)
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft
The airspace around Washington, D.C. is more restricted than in any other part of the country. Rules put in place after the 9/11 attacks establish "national defense airspace" over the area and limit aircraft operations to those with an FAA and Transportation Security Administration authorization. Violators face stiff fines and criminal penalties.

Further, it is not all that difficult to get authorization in class B if you know what you are doing and can make that case.
It would be very difficult if you are a hobbyist and know little about it.

Sure, that makes sense if you meet whatever criteria they have.

It just doesn't seem like simply the virtue of having a commercial license makes you more likely to get authorization. It seems logical (to me, anyway) there would be much more scrutiny applied for class B decisions in either case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851