DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will just ONE strobe attached to an arm affect the balance (COG) noticeable on the MA2

jarnie

Reactions
Hello
I am wondering if the weight (although only around 10 grams) of a SINGLE strobe mounted an arm affect the balance (COG) of the MA2 noticeably? I realise that the speed of each prop would change to counteract this but I am just wondering.
OR would I be better off having two strobes the same type one mounted on each diagonally opposite arm.

It will mean the motor carrying the extra weight has to turn slightly faster but I it will not cause an over all tilt. I hung paper clips on a thread fastened to the outer end of one of my mavic mini's arm. It still hovered horizontal, it has to, (in still air) it's the nature of the beast. Any tilt results in motion, relative to the air, in the direction of the low point.
I even dropped the paper clips so that the thread snapped taut suddenly, it caused the drone to twitch but that was it.
10g slightly off centre isn't going to bother an MA2

Last edited by a moderator:
I just Velcro'd mine to the bottom of my MA2.. weight is centered..

IMG_4778.JPG

Thanks for your feedback. I still am thinking that maybe two strobes would balance it (the COG) out.
It was interesting to see A.O.'s photo especially using the ARC V strobe (nice drone skin too). Does the cover with angled sides of the cover reflect the light to make it visible from front, back and sides as well as from below?

You could mount it on the rear of the MA2 below the vision sensor

1611029344437.png

Thanks Iannes. That's a good place for a single strobe. Nice collection I see in your signature.

@jarnie on my MPP i have one on each front arm and then another one at the rear of the body ,you could put one on a front arm and one on the diagonally apposing rear arm which would help,balance things out or have 4 one one each arm ,just having one half way up one arm,front or rear ,would in the scheme of things ,not make a lot of difference to how the drone flies asthetically though ,it would not look so good

10 grams on an arm = 10 grams of extra load on that motor. Battery consumption 1.7% higher

10 grams on one arm + 10 grams on the diagonally-opposite arm = 5 grams of extra load on each of the four motors. Battery consumption 3.5% higher

Both are insignificant loading considering the weight of the craft ( 570 grams )

Last edited:
Hello
I am wondering if the weight (although only around 10 grams) of a SINGLE strobe mounted an arm affect the balance (COG) of the MA2 noticeably? I realise that the speed of each prop would change to counteract this but I am just wondering.
OR would I be better off having two strobes the same type one mounted on each diagonally opposite arm.
yes....one will affect the COG, anything that adds weight anywhere other than the exact location of the CG in the drone as delivered will shift it. BUT the bigger question, will it exceed DJI's defined limits for CG location. I would think not as strobes are fairly light (few grams). But, IMHO, if you only have one strobe, best to place it on top of the drone near it's current CG. The whole purpose of a collision light is to be seen from all directions.

Unlike an aircraft with wings and a horizontal stabilizer, our quad copters have 4 centers of lift, each with variable thrust ( RPM) at the end of a moment arm away from the COG. This makes the craft inherently stable and unlike a wing dependent aircraft for lift it can hover. It has a thrust to weight ratio that is greater than 1 by definition as it can perform a vertical ascent. Your small strobes will not cause to tumble out of the sky.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks for everyone's input which I have read and understood.
I realised after creating this thread that being quad copter the software/firmware would take care of keeping the drone balanced and in control but wasn't sure of the 'cost' in extra battery power.
Also I am assuming (please advise if I am wrong) that when flying full speed forward, backwards, sideways or ascending each motor is not at full speed to allow for possible wind drift and as such there would also be enough (motor speed) 'in reserve' to allow for change of Cog? And would this also be true when using Sport Mode?

best to place it on top of the drone near it's current CG. The whole purpose of a collision light is to be seen from all directions.
That is where I would prefer to mount a strobe however I am not sure if the strobe would be easily visible from the side of the strobe - maybe the ARC V with its angled clear plastic cover 'reflects' the light sideways and I can check that once purchased.
,just having one half way up one arm,front or rear ,would in the scheme of things ,not make a lot of difference to how the drone flies asthetically though ,it would not look so good
I agree but at my age I don't care how I look (whoops I mean the drone) ? Oh to visit Cymru again (Conwy, Aberystwyth,
Gwyr) - damned this Covid 19 but my MA2 is keeping me sane.

Reactions: old man mavic
That is where I would prefer to mount a strobe however I am not sure if the strobe would be easily visible from the side of the strobe - maybe the ARC V with its angled clear plastic cover 'reflects' the light sideways and I can check that once purchased.

I recently purchased some Arc V's.

Here is a chart that shows the angles of light intensity.

IMG_20210119_190003576~2.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
It will mean the motor carrying the extra weight has to turn slightly faster but I it will not cause an over all tilt. I hung paper clips on a thread fastened to the outer end of one of my mavic mini's arm. It still hovered horizontal, it has to, (in still air) it's the nature of the beast. Any tilt results in motion, relative to the air, in the direction of the low point.
I even dropped the paper clips so that the thread snapped taut suddenly, it caused the drone to twitch but that was it.
10g slightly off centre isn't going to bother an MA2
What are your thoughts on installing this gear on a Mini-2 ?? I would like to know how much this strobe weights"?....Ron

Sorry but what gear are you asking about? I put a strobon standalone weight=4g? on the back of my MM with no seem ill effects. As to weight of others, that would depend which strobe you go for and is probably given in their specs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie