DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will LAANC be available for hobbyists July 23rd?

Slade

Reactions
It’s been a long summer waiting for LAANC availability for Recreational Pilots on July 23rd. Will it happen? Or have some of you heard to the contrary. During the recent LAANC Webinar by FAA they stated it would be available. I’m itching to use it and fly again. Thanks and Happy Flying?

Reactions: dawgpilot and Slade
The FAA said it would be available on that date, so I'm a little confused by the question.

I’ve heard chatter on YT channels that July 23 is iffy.

Well since the FAA literally had a webinar in the last week where they reiterated the July 23rd date, I'd trust them over random YouTube channels.

I know. That’s why it’s a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure that the drone operators who are informed enough to use LAANC, apply for airspace authorizations for their location, and fly within those boundaries are not the people you need to worry about. The people who cause problems likely never bothered about asking for permission to fly in an area in the first place.

Reactions: Thomas B and JAW
I'm pretty sure that the drone operators who are informed enough to use LAANC, apply for airspace authorizations for their location, and fly within those boundaries are not the people you need to worry about. The people who cause problems likely never bothered about asking for permission to fly in an area in the first place.

I used to think along similar lines. I haven’t been around drones very long, but the more I learn the less I want to share the airspace with the majority of the users.

I haven’t seen this level of intentional non-compliance with regulation anywhere else in aviation. The “I always fly vlos. Unless I think I don’t need to due to x, y, and z justifications,” or the “I always fly 400’ agl unless I need or want to fly higher” and of course the straight up “I don’t really care what the faa says they have no business telling me what to do” attitudes is prevalent.

Then there’s the people who seemingly want to do the right thing and actually fly in compliance but don’t because they don’t know what they don’t know (see every other thread in this sub-forum.)

There’s no justification for recreational flying in controlled airspace before any training or certification takes place. Require training and actual testing of knowledge before that occurs. Requiring a minimum knowledge level of people using the nas, particularly in controlled airspace is not asking too much.

Ideally there would be levels of certification, just as there are with real pilot certificates. For example, a hobby flyer would require little to no knowledge or training, but wouldn’t be able to operate in controlled airspace. A recreational flyer would have similar privileges to a sport pilot- class e or class d airspace. Then a commercial which would equate to a 107 remote pilot cert now and allow operations in more complex airspace, with authorization, of course.

• Angry
Reactions: DoomMeister
I know. That’s why it’s a bad thing.

I really have trouble understanding your attitude toward recreational sUAS users. With LAANC in effect for both Recreational and 107 the airspace should be safer. It will only be the ones disregarding the law that will be the trouble.

How is this for being bullheaded and short sighted? I think commercial pilots should have to pay a 50% tax on all of their jobs that goes straight to the FAA to support the LAANC facilities. (Tongue in cheek).

The knowledge test is coming for the recreational pilot and it is long overdue!!! I personally know how to read a sectional chart to know the airspace I plan to fly in. I starting using the facility maps before LAANC was even operational at any of the airports. I haven’t taken the 107 test for the simple reason that flying my sUAS is a hobby and I’m not earning money doing it and find $150 to prove I know what I’m doing a little too pricey.

I really have trouble with people that feel they are holier than thou and cast judgement on a whole group of people because of few idiots that have total contempt for rules and regulations.

Last edited:
I used to think along similar lines. I haven’t been around drones very long, but the more I learn the less I want to share the airspace with the majority of the users.

I haven’t seen this level of intentional non-compliance with regulation anywhere else in aviation. The “I always fly vlos. Unless I think I don’t need to due to x, y, and z justifications,” or the “I always fly 400’ agl unless I need or want to fly higher” and of course the straight up “I don’t really care what the faa says they have no business telling me what to do” attitudes is prevalent.

Then there’s the people who seemingly want to do the right thing and actually fly in compliance but don’t because they don’t know what they don’t know (see every other thread in this sub-forum.)

There’s no justification for recreational flying in controlled airspace before any training or certification takes place. Require training and actual testing of knowledge before that occurs. Requiring a minimum knowledge level of people using the nas, particularly in controlled airspace is not asking too much.

Ideally there would be levels of certification, just as there are with real pilot certificates. For example, a hobby flyer would require little to no knowledge or training, but wouldn’t be able to operate in controlled airspace. A recreational flyer would have similar privileges to a sport pilot- class e or class d airspace. Then a commercial which would equate to a 107 remote pilot cert now and allow operations in more complex airspace, with authorization, of course.
Granted it only takes a few "bad apples" to create a problem or possibly cause a life threating event. The piloted and/or human transporting aircraft certainly take priority.

Although, I disagree it's not a blanket wide situation, the high majority of sUAV Owners aren't abusing the altitude regulations; not by willingness to follow laws most don't even know about but more for fear of their own property. There is a percentage of abusers that could be a threat to aircraft and life; the majority would be hobbyist, followed in smaller percentage of PT107.

I forgot the numbers and for this post's point not that important; The number of sUAV's is huge and grossly outnumbers the piloted aircraft. The same is true of Owning or Pilots; the percentage or raw numbers of Pilots compared to sUAV Owner/Flyers is a needle flicker in comparison. The majority of these are hobbyist, small percentage PT107. The majority of this Mavic forum are Hobbyist and they're inquiring on LAANC.

I'd agree, near airports and within flight paths of lower altitude shouldn't be any uneducated, non-licensed & non-insured commercial sUAV, and even the commercial pilot in these areas probably needs even additional requirements to aid ATC to identify and see their position... that will probably be required soon. Although throughout a city, the radius of the airport's airspace covers a lot of ground over parks, rivers, residential homes, and various sights that attract photography. Many of these are 400-1000 feet below surrounding structures that prevent any flight paths or threat... for the sUAV 400 foot regulation. Cities are often below airport elevation and that indirectly adds to the margins.

This all equates to the understanding that it "WILL" occur, thousands of sUAV will be in the airspace and enforcement would be harder than Firework's enforcement. For enforcement to be even marginally effective, that would also require the FAA to authorize even more liberal policies to State, City & LEO than even currently proposed. That mis-use of authority could become a negative for "ALL sUAV" activity, the City & LEO's won't separate the PT107... so far that hasn't been the case in various LEO charges. I'm not sure I'm ready for that flood gate to open without applying additional layers of regulation of understanding and authorities. If it's going to occur, then addressing the problem to manage will help more than just stating you can't fly... kinda encouraging ill-behavior vs encouraging cooperation.

If the airspace will have sUAV's present, like the highways have commercial & standard (aka: Hobbyist) drivers. You need some fashion of accountability, regulation and authority. If we could get a grasp of what's in the airspace and where, it would be much better than not simply knowing. Encourage Hobbyist to register... actually like a firearm, I think an sUAV should be registered at the Point of Sale! Transfer if needed (gift, re-sold), but accounted for when sold and assigned an FAA Number. If it's needing to be accounted for, that shouldn't begin with a new Owner... it should start with the Sale. At that time, add requirements... a short awareness / competency exam. If that scares a small number off, probably a good thing. If the Owner has any type of sUAV certification: Hobby, Commercial, etc then pre-sale requirements waived, but still FAA registered and accounted. That would assist in hundreds of "found" drones and tracking the Owner.

The technology we receive in prosumer / consumer scale sUAV's is not supported solely by PT107 Owners, many sales go to hobbyist and without their purchase power the commercial side wouldn't have a fraction of the technology it currently reaps.
This doesn't include the small percentage of high-end $15-100K professional sUAV that meet the requirements of specialty shops... although even some of their recent technologies have been driven or motivated by prosumer features.

All in all, I'd rather have local ATC's aware of the airspace and the location of sUAV's. If encouragement and allowance is provided, the Hobbyist will most likely follow the rules and that helps with knowing where they're flying. As for the small percentage of idiots that choose to abuse and risk safety... no different than now, we'll need to add a layer of protection methodologies and when apprehended actually prosecute to establish it won't be tolerated.

The companies can also help reduce the abusers, control the software variables more tightly. Require some form of "key" or justification to modify the altitude above 400 feet or LAANC sector max, also required for distance. This simple FW change could reduce the majority of abusers, not many are going to research hacked FW or methods to back door the FW... the majority abuse when abusing is simplistic to perform.

On the requirements and licenses (certificates). I would agree, you're totally correct although I don't think we'll have 2-3 categories. We'll probably have 2 Hobby, 2-4 Commercial. The upper end commercial will hold additional permissions through verifications of skills and craft. Examples would be BVLOS missions, Payload delivery, Medical delivery, Inspection of structures in direct flight lines, Security missions, etc. The PT107 classification will be at the bottom of the Commercial clarifications.

The knowledge test is coming for the recreational pilot and it is long overdue!!! I personally know how to read a sectional chart to know the airspace I plan to fly in. I starting using the facility maps before LAANC was even operational at any of the airports. I haven’t taken the 107 test for the simple reason that flying my sUAS is a hobby and I’m not earning money doing it and find $150 to prove I know what I’m doing a little too pricey.

I really have trouble with people that feel they are holier than thou and cast judgement on a whole group of people because of few idiots that have total contempt for rules and regulations.

There is nothing “holier the thou” about it. And I agree the knowledge test is overdue, but I also think that it should come before laanc for rec users.

If someone wants to go to Best Buy and pick up whatever and go fly it without knowing anything, I have no problem with that. Just don’t fly it in controlled airspace.

I don’t think it should cost $150 for a recreational exam, it should be similar to a 107 cert for a 61 pilot. Web based on the FAA’s website with a test at the end. Learn and prove knowledge of at least a little of what one will be operating in.

If you have zero airspace knowledge you don’t have any business using the airspace. Show basic competency and you can use it. One incident where a dumb dumb hits an airplane or a helicopter in controlled airspace because they didn’t know or care about something and watch where the regulatory pendulum swings.

If the airspace will have sUAV's present, like the highways have commercial & standard (aka: Hobbyist) drivers. You need some fashion of accountability, regulation and authority. If we could get a grasp of what's in the airspace and where, it would be much better than not simply knowing. Encourage Hobbyist to register... actually like a firearm, I think an sUAV should be registered at the Point of Sale! Transfer if needed (gift, re-sold), but accounted for when sold and assigned an FAA Number. If it's needing to be accounted for, that shouldn't begin with a new Owner... it should start with the Sale. At that time, add requirements... a short awareness / competency exam. If that scares a small number off, probably a good thing. If the Owner has any type of sUAV certification: Hobby, Commercial, etc then pre-sale requirements waived, but still FAA registered and accounted. That would assist in hundreds of "found" drones and tracking the Owner.

This would be a good thing. People would do less dumb things if they knew an errant drone could be tracked back to them.

There is nothing “holier the thou” about it. And I agree the knowledge test is overdue, but I also think that it should come before laanc for rec users.

If someone wants to go to Best Buy and pick up whatever and go fly it without knowing anything, I have no problem with that. Just don’t fly it in controlled airspace.

I don’t think it should cost $150 for a recreational exam, it should be similar to a 107 cert for a 61 pilot. Web based on the FAA’s website with a test at the end. Learn and prove knowledge of at least a little of what one will be operating in.

If you have zero airspace knowledge you don’t have any business using the airspace. Show basic competency and you can use it. One incident where a dumb dumb hits an airplane or a helicopter in controlled airspace because they didn’t know or care about something and watch where the regulatory pendulum swings.

The recreational pilot test may be free on online, we just don’t know yet. The $150 is the cost to take the 107 certification test and since I have no desire to make money at this, the price is out of balance for me. I somewhat agree that the test should have been developed before now, but I’m glad I’ll have access to airspace near my son without waiting for bureaucrats to hash out the RP knowledge test.

I think you will find that most RP’s that will know about LAANC are already abiding by the rules, and the idiots that break them wouldn’t know what LAANC is or care about using it and are already bypassing builtin safe guards of the manufacturer’s software and firmware.

You join this forum and within a week start tossing your opinion around like you are the airspace overlord. When I first got into flying sUAS aircraft I spent a month reading up on when, where, and how I could safely fly on the FAA website. Then and only then did I venture to take to the skies. Even though as a RP I could legally make flights that a 107 pilot would have to apply for a waiver or clearance, I followed the stricter guidelines set forth for them.

If lease reconsider how you interact with the community, I think you will find that most on this forum and the other DronePilots forums are RP’s and have respect for both sides of the hobby/business.

I think eventually there will be the requirement to provide your FAA registration number prior to the purchase of drone. Maybe in the next FAA Reauthorization Act.

According to the FAA, more than 820,000 people have registered their drones. This number is about 2 years old. That would be over $4 million supposedly earmarked for things like LAANC implementation which, along with the $150 Part 107 ticket fee, pretty much makes us a self-funded but government regulated "private industry." I put that in quotes because I didn't know how else to describe it.

You join this forum and within a week start tossing your opinion around like you are the airspace overlord. When I first got into flying sUAS aircraft I spent a month reading up on when, where, and how I could safely fly on the FAA website. Then and only then did I venture to take to the skies. Even though as a RP I could legally make flights that a 107 pilot would have to apply for a waiver or clearance, I followed the stricter guidelines set forth for them.

If lease reconsider how you interact with the community, I think you will find that most on this forum and the other DronePilots forums are RP’s and have respect for both sides of the hobby/business.

I don’t recall reading in the TOS the requisite time required before one “tosses around their opinion.” That’s great you spent a month learning about operational issues. You seem to be assuming I haven’t learned anything before signing up here, which is simply not the case. In fact, I had my 107 temp certificate in hand before I even purchased a drone.

My opinions and knowledge base aren’t coming from a month of pre study either. I’ve been in aviation for 30 years now, i do know a few things.

In terms of tossing my opinions around and interacting with the community, I’ve merely stated my opinions. I haven’t done so in an adversarial or disparaging manner, but one of a simple conversational tone. I can have a reasonable and cordial discussion with those i disagree with, one would hope a moderator on a forum could as well.

If you don’t like my opinions that’s fine, and you can take solace in the fact I am not a regulator.

@superstarpup

I can agree that we can disagree. I was not accusing you of being unknowledgeable about aviation and yes your opinion is on the same level as mine. We are all equal on that playing field.

I took ground school while I was in the Air Force back in the early eighties, but on an Airman’s salary flight lessons were out of the question. I am a firm believer in education about the use of our airspace in the US and the rest of the world. Safety in the skies is #1 priority. Since most RP flights are in Class G airspace and there are countless private strips across the country educating RP fliers about pattern traffic and how it changes with wind direction would be a priority for knowledge as it will help avoid manned traffic conflicts. Reading charts and knowing weather conditions is also important although weather is a more localized thing with UAS flights as they should be VLOS.

My apologies if I misread your intentions by your posts , but the RP’s have as much right to fly as an ATP earning a living. We all just need to know the limitations we have to abide by.

@superstarpup

I can agree that we can disagree. I was not accusing you of being unknowledgeable about aviation and yes your opinion is on the same level as mine. We are all equal on that playing field.

I took ground school while I was in the Air Force back in the early eighties, but on an Airman’s salary flight lessons were out of the question. I am a firm believer in education about the use of our airspace in the US and the rest of the world. Safety in the skies is #1 priority. Since most RP flights are in Class G airspace and there are countless private strips across the country educating RP fliers about pattern traffic and how it changes with wind direction would be a priority for knowledge as it will help avoid manned traffic conflicts. Reading charts and knowing weather conditions is also important although weather is a more localized thing with UAS flights as they should be VLOS.

My apologies if I misread your intentions by your posts , but the RP’s have as much right to fly as an ATP earning a living. We all just need to know the limitations we have to abide by.

I agree rps have a right to fly, i just don’t agree on where, based on what an rp currently requires (access to a drone and an App Store.) I think a graduated certification system like 61 certs. is needed.

Make all current non-107 operators hobby operators. Have a web based course and test, pass it and you get you rp. I’d even say if you want to take the test without the course, fine, but if you fail the test you can’t retest until you take the course. Obviously the course and test wouldn’t as extensive as a 107. This would minimize the impact on current, knowledgeable and responsible operators, who would be able to test quickly and easily, and with the same cost as a 61 pilot pays for the 107 test- zero.

Don’t want to do that? That’s cool too, just stay in uncontrolled airspace. I think it’s absurd that some 15 year old kid ( or anyone else for that matter)who gets a drone and has internet access will be able to bolt into controlled airspace without any requirement to know anything at all.

I’m not too far off what the FAA wants, why they would open LAANC to rec pilots before a knowledge test is beyond me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme