DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the MA2 operate on Smartphone alone? (no controller)

ShannonRawls

Reactions
New pilot. New here. First post. Hi everyone...

I’m looking for a drone that has a decent “follow me” feature and I would have bought the Skydio 2 until I realized you can only purchase one from their site and because of Covid-19 they aren’t taking orders. ??

Well, maybe that’s a blessing in disguise because I stumbled upon the new Air 2.

I‘m looking for a drone to follow me while I hike & bike and not have to worry about it running into the occasional tree.

I know the Skydio 2 will track that cool little Beacon controller that I can throw in my pocket or it’ll even track my phone that’ll be strapped to my arm. However, I don’t know if the MA2 ActiveTrack 3 system will work with my iPhone 11 alone?

I’m not interested in lugging around a fully extended drone remote control with a phone mounted to it while I’m out jogging. (It’ll look silly too)

does anybody know if the MA2 drone will track a smartphone?

People mount them on bikes so you'll be able to come up with something. There is a good video of a comparison of the Air 2 and Skydio on you tube. I've found that it's pretty hard to keep from looking over my shoulder when using active track. That could be dangerous while jogging and it doesn't look all that hot on video..but the Air 2 seems to do a pretty good job staying clear. I'm excited to find out

Reactions: dawgpilot
I‘m looking for a drone to follow me while I hike & bike and not have to worry about it running into the occasional tree.

From some of the reviews of the Skydio I've watched, even that drone is prone to occasionally getting stuck behind trees. Unfortunately no drone has perfect automated flights modes yet.

With the beacon there aren't too many situations where it won't be able to catch up though ;-)

@sar104 - it didn't have to be like that, the MP1 had OS and WiFi for phone control if needed...

From some of the reviews of the Skydio I've watched, even that drone is prone to occasionally getting stuck behind trees. Unfortunately no drone has perfect automated flights modes yet.
Yes. This is true. I’m willing to deal with those issues. My biggest concern right now is ...
“How to comfortably get a drone to follow me while out jogging.”
“How can I get my drone to follow me while shredding slopes on my snowboard?”

I think the MA2 would be great if only I didn’t have to do it with a full RC + an iPhone mounted in it.

Might be kinda difficult.

People mount them on bikes so you'll be able to come up with something. There is a good video of a comparison of the Air 2 and Skydio on you tube. I've found that it's pretty hard to keep from looking over my shoulder when using active track. That could be dangerous while jogging and it doesn't look all that hot on video..but the Air 2 seems to do a pretty good job staying clear. I'm excited to find out

yup. They actually have bike mounts for the RC + phone available for sale on Amazon.?

should be sturdy enough for road bike ridding. Certainly won’t work for downhill mountain biking.
Which is why I was hoping the MA2 could track just the iPhone similar to the S2. ??

With the beacon there aren't too many situations where it won't be able to catch up though ;-)

@sar104 - it didn't have to be like that, the MP1 had OS and WiFi for phone control if needed...

Really???
I suppose they took that capability away for technical reasons. ☹️
oh well.
Wishful thinking.

A THOUGHT...

I wonder if the RC controller alone, no phone mounted, could be treated similar to a Skydio beacon.

I’d be willing to go jogging or bike riding or snowboarding with bringing JUST the controller (no phone mounted) along with me. I’d remove the sticks and strap it to my bicep or something.

If you really want a drone for tracking the Skydio is your answer as it's basically a "crash free" drone, in fact it's guaranteed not to crash (unless you fly it through areas with tiny branches).

If you really want a drone for tracking the Skydio is your answer as it's basically a "crash free" drone, in fact it's guaranteed not to crash (unless you fly it through areas with tiny branches).
Agreed.
However, I think the MA2 is capable as well. I live in Los Angeles. Not too many tree lined woodsy trails here in this concrete jungle. lol

I’m looking for an “easier” solution rather than a “more capable of tracking“ one.

What I hate about the Skydio 2 is it doesn’t fold up. ? what casual user wants to carry around a full sprawled out stiff-armed drone all the time?

What I hate about the Mavic Air 2 is it requires it’s big bulky remote control to fly. ? what casual hiker/biker/snowboarder/skier/surfer wants to go out with a fully extended non shock-proof, non water resistant hunk of a remote control?

You can use the Mavic Air V1 with just a phone, and it also has active track. It’s also smaller than V2, so less hassle to carry up a mountain.

You can use the Mavic Air V1 with just a phone, and it also has active track. It’s also smaller than V2, so less hassle to carry up a mountain.
The MA1 is a phone only tracking drone? ?
I didn’t know that. Thanks boss. ??
That raises 2 questions....

1. If the MA1 can do iPhone only tracking, why not the newer MA2?
2. What else does the MA1 do that can no longer be done with the MA2?

Hmmmm ?

It has the great "Palm Control" that doesn't even need a phone for tracking, it works really well too and can follow you as long as the battery isn't flat (when using a phone to track it will stop after 100 meters).
Battery life is 50% compared to the MA2 though.
Also it weighs less than 500 grams which is going to be pretty important in Europe in a couple of years time.

The Gesture Control (Smart Capture) mode of the MA1 is one of its most under-appreciated features. I used it to film myself for a couple of back country mountain bike rides and it is really good. It doesn't do well with sharp turns, but other than that it did remarkably well at tracking me. No phone, no remote, just your hands - and you don't have to worry about low battery RTH because in this mode, the drone will follow you until its battery reaches critical and then lands where it is.

EDIT: It is a pity that DJI is abandoning this feature rather than building on it - there is a lot of scenarios where it comes handy. Plus controlling a drone with just palm gestures is kinda futuristic and quite a spectacle to behold for non-dronies (yeah, I don't know what ppl who don't fly drones are called - I can't call them muggles can I?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lastrexking

Hmmmm ?

It doesn't track the phone, you can use the phone as a remote. But, it also has active track - so, use the phone to highlight the object you're tracking, start it off recording - put your phone in your pocket. Also, as others mention it also has gesture control.

The Gesture Control (Smart Capture) mode of the MA1 is one of its most under-appreciated features. I used it to film myself for a couple of back country mountain bike rides and it is really good. It doesn't do well with sharp turns, but other than that it did remarkably well at tracking me. No phone, no remote, just your hands - and you don't have to worry about low battery RTH because in this mode, the drone will follow you until its battery reaches critical and then lands where it is.

I've had my MA1 since launch and never tried that. I really should give it a go.

Hmmmm ?

I've had my MA1 since launch and never tried that. I really should give it a go.
You are not alone there. it took me almost a year before I "discovered" this feature. For some reason, it is not often talked about - perhaps because (like myself at first) a lot of people dismiss it as gimmicky. But I was pleasantly surprised. Do give it a try. There are a couple of threads in the MA1 general discussion on it, a search for smart capture or gesture control should bring them up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000