DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will you buy a Mini? What will you use it for?

Blitzkrieg

Reactions
I'll get one. Maybe not at launch but within a few months. I do a lot of flying inside abandoned buildings and factories (with the owners permission or course) and with prop guards this is a no brainier. I can already see this being much easier getting down hallways, though doors and up and down stairwells.

The sub 250gr weigh and size would make this the perfect travel drone for when I'm traveling and only take a carry on.

I honestly don’t know. I’ll decide once I see the marketing videos etc.
At the moment it seems pointless as amongst my drones I own a Mavic Air , which already folds up into a very small and portable unit, has sensors the mini doesn’t, a better camera, 4K and a higher bit rate.
The whole 250g thing is irrelevant here in the UK. It only means the mini won’t need registering for now, but I can see the limit changing as technology improves. Regardless of weight the rules around flying remain the same.
My biggest concern is wind. It’s very windy in my part of England. I just can’t see a 250g drone being used much.

Personally, I think this is DJI's attempt at a personal drone to be used for small distance holidays snaps and videos. Like the Dobbie.

I guess I will order one as a replacement for my Zerotech Dobby if it is same size, has a 3-axis gimbal and at least 15 min. flight time. I want a "always with me" drone which fits into my pocket.

Hmmm, for use with SAR...Will a mini work well in enclosed spaces without GPS? Also, will it navigate well doing a RTH by itself if signal is lost in an enclosed space? With prop guards and lighting, no doubt.

I am following the Mini with great interest. If I do buy one it would be my first drone and I would of course use it to learn how to fly. BTW what does SAR mean? I printed out a list of abbreviated terms and I don't have that one listed.

Last edited:
I’m considering. I have a Mavic 2 Zoom. If it has Ocusync 2.0 I will for sure, bring it should link up to the SC if so.
If it does not have 2.0, may still consider to have a unit to play around indoors! I’m also wondering if this unit will be better with follow mode being it does not have sensors.

I am following the Mini with great interest. If I do buy one it would be my first drone and I would of course use it to learn how to fly. BTW what doe SAR mean? I printed out a list of abbreviated terms and I don't have that one listed.
Search and Rescue is SAR

Reactions: AIredale1
I’m considering. I have a Mavic 2 Zoom. If it has Ocusync 2.0 I will for sure, bring it should link up to the SC if so.
If it does not have 2.0, may still consider to have a unit to play around indoors! I’m also wondering if this unit will be better with follow mode being it does not have sensors.

the occusynch unit is a large component, power hungry, and generates a lot of heat. It’ll be a good few years before DJI can make one that fits anything smaller than a full size Mavic. Even the Air is too small.

I had a Mavic Pro, awesome, my first serious drone, sold that after two years of fun and upgraded to the Mavic2pro.

I don't know why anyone would want this if they already have an Air, M1P, M2Z or M2P. The Mavic Mini is a starter drone, it will be now way as capable as the other Mavics.

The hype on launch and the YouTube Influencers will be at full power on Wednesday.

For those without a drone, this appears to be a very good entry drone. I will not be buying.

Good to see it has its own app, that way the Go4 app won't be getting further bloated supporting the Mavic Mini.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the reviews to come in. I mean I'd really love the Air because it's so small for transportation but the cost is too much considering I have a MP. When I go camping it would be nice to have a small quad on hand that doesn't take up room. As much as I like my buddy's Spark design and cost, I could almost save more room hauling my MP that I already have. So the Mini is gonna have to prove its self. 400 bucks is almost a tipping point for me because there will probably be accessories involved. One thing for sure is if I lose my MP, it's gonna hurt my wallet a heck of a lot more than losing a Mavic Mini.

Reactions: Bobvt and AIredale1
I have a Mavic Pro, too, as well as some other drones. The major benefit of the Mini is that you can have it always available within your pocket. And the best drone is always that one which you have available.
I’m a truckdriver in my profession and I use to bring the Spark with me in my work. It’s easy and quick to get airborn and it takes pictures good enough for my purpose in the job. Then I can use the MPP for other jobs like SAR for Missing People when they calling for help, and finally I have the large for rescue at sea with a 40 x zoom and 20 Mpix sensor. Every drone has it’s own purpose. When I’m just wan’t to fiddeling around I can take my glider with 4 meter wingspan and have a cosy afternoon in the sky.

Attachments

• 85034B07-9C8D-43D4-8D33-010A8C06CE5D.jpeg
    85034B07-9C8D-43D4-8D33-010A8C06CE5D.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 173
  • 4FD327BC-6EA9-4524-9B9D-BC2DF407056C.jpeg
    4FD327BC-6EA9-4524-9B9D-BC2DF407056C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
I will be getting one just to keep my Mavic Fleet complete!:cool:Thumbswayup

I will be getting one at launch. I’ve been drone-less for about 1.5 years now. I’ve owned a Mavic Pro and a Spark. I use them for fun and also for shooting B-Roll footage for videos at my church. I’ll probably use it for vacation stuff too.

Not being a professional, there’s no way I’ll ever shell out $1700 for a drone. The Spark worked great for me, but I absolutely hated that 16min (10min) flight time. It was virtually useless. When I owned the Spark I told myself “man, if only this thing folded and had better flight time.” Sure enough, here we are. I was on the fence when it initially leaked a couple months ago with a rumored 18-min flight time. But now that we know it’ll be 30 min. I’m all over that. I would much rather sacrifice a tad bit of image quality for longer flight time.

Plus with a $399 Intro price!? That sounds awesome. I figure I better hop on it now before more tariffs come into play. Didn’t the Mavic Air launch at $6-799? Now that thing is $919!!!!! Way too much for that thing.

Last edited:
the occusynch unit is a large component, power hungry, and generates a lot of heat. It’ll be a good few years before DJI can make one that fits anything smaller than a full size Mavic. Even the Air is too small.

Thought I heard something like that.. one can hope. Might sound dumb here.... I’m curious at what the Wi-Fi frequency is. Have to check this out. I don’t have any that operate on Wi-Fi. I’m just use to the 2.0. Curious if the SC could be hacked...

Thought I heard something like that.. one can hope. Might sound dumb here.... I’m curious at what the Wi-Fi frequency is. Have to check this out. I don’t have any that operate on Wi-Fi. I’m just use to the 2.0. Curious if the SC could be hacked...

In the US, according to the FCC submission, it will only be 5.8GHz. No 2.4GHz in this one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada