DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind, again

AndreaBB

Reactions
Today I fired up my MM to learn how it reacts to the wind.
Windy app was showing 5 m/s and 11 m/s gusts. 6 PM, 20 deg C.

6EA1DC4A-185F-41DE-AE32-AF9168EBFDD5_1_201_a.jpeg

The little one went to 50, 60 and finally 75 meters with a few minutes stop at each height. The video was stable, all manageable (apart the gimbal "weird things" while was flying against the wind).
Once back home I did check both DAT file and airdata details, and I've been astonished looking how well it did behave in a very strong wind conditions: according to both sources the gusts were up tp 12/13 m/s and the MM wasn't moving around.
Just check on the below pic where the GPS lat and long are not changing while hovering at 75 meters.
I'm still not 100% sure about the safety limits of this AC, I need more practice.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 22.40.43 (3).png

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 22.48.33.png

Last edited:
That's incredible- I'm trying my best to understand all the data on that chart. I am a new pilot but also an avid kitesurfer. Our local area wind average is about 16 knots (8m/s). I know I could get some amazing footage of the kiters but I'm just nervous the mini will not be able to handle such winds but according to your data I should be okay, right?

I'm thinking the flyaways are more prevalent with folks flying out with the wind and drawing the battery down trying to return against the wind.

Reactions: Dbez1
I'm thinking the flyaways are more prevalent with folks flying out with the wind and drawing the battery down trying to return against the wind.

It makes sense, actually it did run out the battery in 15 minutes

That's incredible- I'm trying my best to understand all the data on that chart. I am a new pilot but also an avid kitesurfer. Our local area wind average is about 16 knots (8m/s). I know I could get some amazing footage of the kiters but I'm just nervous the mini will not be able to handle such winds but according to your data I should be okay, right?

As said, I don’t get the safety limits yet. While it can manage to hover and move over a controlled field, I won’t use it in these conditions on a daily basis.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Dandada
how do you get this DAT data

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929