DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum Wind and Waves at Lakeside Park Watkins Glen, NY

slozukimc

Reactions
Hey All.

Here is a quick video at the south end of Senecal Lake today. The wind was so strong that, even in sport mode, with the rescue jacket I could barely move north at times and it would take off like a rocket heading south.

There is a cliff called the Painted Rocks up the lake a ways I want to get shots of but I would have killed a battery fighting the wind to get there today. @Phantomrain.org I need the M3 for this kind of weather. 😉

Mike

Last edited:
Hey All.

Here is a quick video at the south end of Senecal Lake today. The wind was so strong that, even in sport mode, with the rescue jacket I could barely move north at times and it would take off like a rocket heading south.

There is a cliff called the Painted Rocks up the lake a ways I want to get shots of but I would have killed a battery fighting the wind to get there today. @Phantomrain.org I need the M3 for this kind of weather. 😉

Mike
Borrow a boat to get much much closer and maybe less wind (although not always possible to fly) if no roads closer to your point of droning. I have to hike in upwards of 1.5 miles each way to get waterfalls. Since I'm not a great hiker and a senior citizen with many issues - 1.5 miles is about my max distance one way to hike, esp in the mountains where it can be up and down several hundred feet elevation on a less than ideal path (if one at all - sometimes requires bushwhacking.)

Reactions: slozukimc
Borrow a boat to get much much closer and maybe less wind (although not always possible to fly) if no roads closer to your point of droning. I have to hike in upwards of 1.5 miles each way to get waterfalls. Since I'm not a great hiker and a senior citizen with many issues - 1.5 miles is about my max distance one way to hike, esp in the mountains where it can be up and down several hundred feet elevation on a less than ideal path (if one at all - sometimes requires bushwhacking.)
I have a kayak but no way in hell I am going on that lake with those waves in these temps. Lol. Maybe when the weather is nicer. Or like you said a day with less wind. I wanted waves and splashing today. 😉. The only road near where I want to shoot is above the cliff so no way to maintain VLOS from there. Too many trees on private property.

Seems like all of the prettiest are hard to get to eh?

Mike

Reactions: tlswift58
I have a kayak but no way in hell I am going on that lake with those waves in these temps. Lol. Maybe when the weather is nicer. Or like you said a day with less wind. I wanted waves and splashing today. 😉. The only road near where I want to shoot is above the cliff so no way to maintain VLOS from there. Too many trees on private property.

Seems like all of the prettiest are hard to get to eh?

Mike
Exactly. Many nice falls here in NC are on private property or around private property. Some people are nice and allow people who respect their property to go view or walk thru to a nice fall; but we have way too many people who trash such places that end up restricting us all. They seem to be able to take it in with them - yet can't haul the empty stuff out - weird you know.

Weather and when you have a chance to fly don't always mix well; so you give her a go anyway; but the icky feeling when doing so only is gone when the drone lands safely at your feet. 😵‍💫

Kayak is the way, unless you got the waves for sure.

If you don't tell you dropped over the cliff and lost VLOS for like 20 seconds, we won't know.....😎😎

We have some nice roadside falls in WNC, but they are typically overcrowded as they are roadside. Ones about .5 mile or less one way - well traveled, but not always bad - esp during the week. Weekends are out for most of those. Those at a mile or more and maybe 5+ on the hike difficulty scale are far less traveled and a droners dream for nobody around when shooting. I do push those limits of my ability to go for the gusto and my last trip, slipped down an embankment and cracked / broke 2 ribs. Still did my droning since I was there and had to hike out - up and down and all around with those ribs. About all healed now, so time to head back out. 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku