DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind resistance Mini 1 vs Mini 2

From memory greater angles of tilt, 40/25/25 vs 30/20/20 (in the specifications of the corresponding manuals). Drones move horizontally by tilting thereby generating horizontal thrust, the greater the tilt the greater that horizontal thrust BUT NOTE the less the vertical thrust (lift), so motor speeds likely increase as the angel of tilt increases to compensate for the reduced lift.

If we instead talk about the difference to make headway into the wind first ... there it's only about the speed, which is closely linked to the max allowed tilt angle.

Comparing the 2 ...

DJI Mavic Mini:
1655991305377.png
1655991346883.png
DJI Mini 2:
1655991425332.png
1655991465882.png

It's pretty obvious that the Mini 2 can penetrate a stronger wind than the Mavic Mini ... all depending on the max speed. Furthermore, if you loose connection & are depending on RTH the Mini 2 is far, far better, this as the speed used in RTH is the same as in N mode ... the Mavic Mini will be stopped by a headwind on 8m/s, but a Mini 2 will actually be able to produce a tilt angle on 40 degrees (same as Sport mode, see the *) which means a speed on 16m/s before it is stopped by a equal fast headwind.

The somewhat unexplained "Wind resistance" that DJI have in the specs doesn't fit the max speeds though ... it's suspected that those figures might be valid in a hover ... how a strong wind the drone can take & still keep position.

DJI Mavic Mini:
1655992102492.png

DJI Mini 2:
1655992155841.png

From memory greater angles of tilt, 40/25/25 vs 30/20/20 (in the specifications of the corresponding manuals). Drones move horizontally by tilting thereby generating horizontal thrust, the greater the tilt the greater that horizontal thrust BUT NOTE the less the vertical thrust (lift), so motor speeds likely increase as the angel of tilt increases to compensate for the reduced lift.
If we instead talk about the difference to make headway into the wind first ... there it's only about the speed, which is closely linked to the max allowed tilt angle.

Comparing the 2 ...

DJI Mavic Mini:
View attachment 150585
View attachment 150586
DJI Mini 2:
View attachment 150587
View attachment 150588

It's pretty obvious that the Mini 2 can penetrate a stronger wind than the Mavic Mini ... all depending on the max speed. Furthermore, if you loose connection & are depending on RTH the Mini 2 is far, far better, this as the speed used in RTH is the same as in N mode ... the Mavic Mini will be stopped by a headwind on 8m/s, but a Mini 2 will actually be able to produce a tilt angle on 40 degrees (same as Sport mode, see the *) which means a speed on 16m/s before it is stopped by a equal fast headwind.

The somewhat unexplained "Wind resistance" that DJI have in the specs doesn't fit the max speeds though ... it's suspected that those figures might be valid in a hover ... how a strong wind the drone can take & still keep position.

DJI Mavic Mini:
View attachment 150589

DJI Mini 2:
View attachment 150590
Is it possible to change the tilt of the Mavic Mini then?

Is it possible to change the tilt of the Mavic Mini then?
The amount of tilt changes when you push the right stick forward.
Push it further and the drone tilts more ... up to the max tilt angle that's set in the firmware.
Tilting further is not recommended.
Tilt further and you lose lift and have to rev the motors harder to stay in the air.
It's inefficient beyond the set limits.

I would suggest it is not something that you as a newbie should be considering, rather I think you would be better served learning how to deal with wind (in general, descend (air speed tends to increase with height) and switch to sports mode) and when to NOT FLY.

Just for the record I have had both a Mavic Mini and a Mini 2 blown down wind despite their best effort to maintain position, through acting correctly and the gusts dying I still have both, once I got each back to me I called it quits for the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000
I would suggest it is not something that you as a newbie should be considering, rather I think you would be better served learning how to deal with wind (in general, descend (air speed tends to increase with height) and switch to sports mode) and when to NOT FLY.
And most important, don't allow your drone to end up way downwind which means a hard fight against a headwind to get home again.

My first DJI drone was a Mini 1. Within 4 weeks I bought a Mavic 2 Pro because I couldn't fly, literally, 50% of the time when I wanted due to wind here. The Mini 2, which I also own, is a big improvement over the Mini 1 in terms of wind resistance- meaning fly-away avoidance. But the smaller drones are far less stable in higher winds. How that impacts a mission is depends on the requirements.

I had to fly a quick test with my Mini 2 a few days ago in modestly higher winds. Part of that was launching from a 2nd floor balcony flying between a space between two trees before I get to open sky, the space being about 8 feet (2.4 meters). 8 feet is a pretty big space and I do this regularly. It was a struggle to keep the Mini 2 down the middle as it got buffeted by the wind. In the open sky it didn't make must practical difficulty though I could see it struggle to maintain position. Getting it back in was just as challenging, trying to keep it aligned with the "8' hole) it had to fly through. My Mavic 2 would have had far less a problem.

I'm sure the Mini 3 will have even better wind resistance due to the higher pitch angle that is permitted. But will it have better stability in higher wind? Hopefully my Mini 3 will be here in a few weeks.

Check the specs and you'll see nothing to suggest one would outperform the other.
Their speed is exactly the same.
You are correct. I thought I saw something about the tilt angle due to the gimbal/camera's ability to tilt further up than other DJI drones.

And most important, don't allow your drone to end up way downwind which means a hard fight against a headwind to get home again.
Guess it's no fly day today!

IMG_20220627_122227.jpg

Guess it's no fly day today!
Not necessarily ... depending on which drone you have.
gusts to 40 km/h = 21.5 knots
I've often flown in 22 knots ... as long as the flight doesn't involve going far downwind.
But if you are talking about one of he minis, I wouldn't go anywhere downwind.

Reactions: eva2000
Not necessarily ... depending on which drone you have.
gusts to 40 km/h = 21.5 knots
I've often flown in 22 knots ... as long as the flight doesn't involve going far downwind.
But if you are talking about one of he minis, I wouldn't go anywhere downwind.
Yeah it's the Mini 2 though :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair