DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wind speed

johnsctt78

Reactions
has anyone flown there mavic in higher windspeeds between 15 and 18 mph and how did it handle those wind speeds

has anyone flown there mavic in higher windspeeds between 15 and 18 mph and how did it handle those wind speeds
You just have to be careful and give yourself plenty of time to get home. You may have to use Sport mode to power though but it’s fine. If you watch the live feed you couldn’t even tell but the drone may be bouncing around. I’ve flown in much higher winds.

Yup, do it all the time just for the fun of it, and get good flying experience for adverse conditions. Most I’ve done is 20mph. Never go down wind. Also, when I want to fly in high wind, I look for a location that is shielded from the wind for takeoff and landing.
What’s fun to do is go up to 300 or more feet where the wind is the highest, let it blow you back downwind in normal mode without executing any control, then reduce your altitude where the wind is lower, and watch as the Mavic go back upwind to its previous position on it’s own. It remembers.

the main concerns in windy conditions are reduced flight time, and the prospect of loss of GPS, then the mav can blow away quite quickly down wind, also a steady wind is much easier to cope with, than sudden gusts which can catch you out, if at any time during the flight you dont feel happy, get back home and live to fly another day, you will know as soon as you take off if the wind is an issue, just look at the angle the mav is flying at just to stay in one spot,also any trees about will give a good indication of wind strength

I generally won't fly in speeds above 15mph, especially if it's gusty. Gusty winds are trickier than steady ones of course. Flying around buildings can be unpredictable with some rather high speed gusts, especially near corners or roof lines. The truth is that I"m probably too inexperienced to take these risks; I'll simply wait for a better day.

I generally won't fly in speeds above 15mph, especially if it's gusty. Gusty winds are trickier than steady ones of course. Flying around buildings can be unpredictable with some rather high speed gusts, especially near corners or roof lines. The truth is that I"m probably too inexperienced to take these risks; I'll simply wait for a better day.
Never fly with winds above 22 mph and try to arrange home legs to be with the wind... or as second bet across the wind.

If you take into consideration how Mavic 2 manuevers at top speeds, this simulates its ability to gain stabilization over the high winds.
Personally i am very impressed by the flying abilities of the Mavic 2...
I have been in a beautiful island of Greece, Mykonos. Its real nickname is "The island of winds"...
So much beauty and i couldn't use the drone because wind started gusting too hard. (Faster than 30 miles per hour)
All that untill i visited a remarkable lighthouse.
I took the risk and i flew it!
In order to gain stabilization against the wind, It was literally in a diagonal position in the air.
I took stunning shots and the footage is really amazing!
Hopefully nothing went wrong and this experience really paid me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnsctt78
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom