DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Test?

Th3DroneroGT

Reactions
Hi all, I'm curious about the wind resistance of the Mini SE, I know it says level 5, but my question is, someone who has had the Mavic Mini and then the Mini SE, could you tell me if there is a noticeable difference with the wind? or are simply marketing data nothing more?

I am thinking of changing my Mavic Mini for a Mini SE as currently the Mavic Mini doesn't even withstand a small gust of wind.

Hi all, I'm curious about the wind resistance of the Mini SE, I know it says level 5, but my question is, someone who has had the Mavic Mini and then the Mini SE, could you tell me if there is a noticeable difference with the wind? or are simply marketing data nothing more?

I am thinking of changing my Mavic Mini for a Mini SE as currently the Mavic Mini doesn't even withstand a small gust of wind.
The Wind Resistance that DJI quotes is confusing.
It's the max windspeed in which the drone can hold position when hovering.

A more useful gauge of how your drone can deal with winds is how fast the drone can fly.
The faster it can fly, the less it will be affected by winds when flying.
There is no difference between the Max speeds for the original Mini and the Mini SE
Both are:
Max Speed (near sea level, no wind)
13 m/s (S Mode)
8 m/s (P Mode)
4 m/s (C Mode)

You could expect both to be affected similarly by wind.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I own a MM2, despite what they say I never go any higher then 100 feet on days winds are over 10 MPH. Thats just me, other pilots, push the limit.

It has the motors of the mini 2 and better cooling efficiency. Accordingly to a few youtube videos I've watched, wind resistance is better than the mini.

It's pretty gusty here and I've been pleasantly surprised that my SE holds it's own.

But it's top speed is the same, so it can't deal with winds any better than the original mini.
Have you actually tested one or are you just theorizing?

Flight speed parameters are probably controlled by the software and don't mirror maximum capabilities.

According to DJI it has the same wind resistance as the Mini 2.

Last edited:
Have you actually tested one or are you just theorizing?
Flight speed parameters are probably controlled by the software and don't mirror maximum capabilities.
Software can't make the drone go any faster than it's maximum speed.
According to DJI it has the same wind resistance as the Mini 2.
As I pointed out in post #2, it's speed specs are identical to the original Mini too.

Software can't make the drone go any faster than it's maximum speed.

As I pointed out in post #2, it's speed specs are identical to the original Mini too.
Software can't make it go faster but it can slow it down. They aren't trying to create a drone that competes with the mini 2 even though it has mini 2 motors. You are making correlations between speed specs and wind capabilities and totally ignoring the upgraded wind rating DJI have given it as well as independent people who have actually gone out there and tested the SE against the mini in high winds.

You are free to think what you like but it doesn't make it so.

Reactions: zaldy
Software can't make it go faster but it can slow it down. They aren't trying to create a drone that competes with the mini 2 even though it has mini 2 motors. You are making correlations between speed specs and wind capabilities and totally ignoring the upgraded wind rating DJI have given it as well as independent people who have actually gone out there and tested the SE against the mini in high winds.

You are free to think what you like but it doesn't make it so.
When you push the stick full forward, the drone goes at its max speed.
Software doesn't modify that.
If the max speed is 8 metres/sec or 13 m/s in Sport Mode, that's how fast it will go (minus any headwind component).

Would you suggest that the drone can fly faster than it's max speed?

When you push the stick full forward, the drone goes at its max speed.
Software doesn't modify that.
If the max speed is 8 metres/sec or 13 m/s in Sport Mode, that's how fast it will go (minus any headwind component).

Would you suggest that the drone can fly faster than it's max speed?
No point in arguing with you although I actually own an SE. You've got it right, everybody else and DJI have got it wrong. You win. The SE couldn't possibly have better wind resistance than the Mini.

But it's top speed is the same, so it can't deal with winds any better than the original mini.
Software can't make it go faster but it can slow it down...
As I can't find the specs regarding the Mavic SE (only gets a 404 the page you’re looking for can’t be found message) ... I can only relate to the Mini 1 & Mini 2... & on that paint a plausible scenario.

We know that the listed top ground speed (in Sport) is:
16m/s for the Mini 2
and 13m/s for the Mini 1.

In order to achieve this they utilize a max tilt angle of:
& 30 degrees respectively.

The Mini 2 also have a feature that will allow utilization of the full max 40 degree tilt (like in Sport) even in N & C mode (where the max speeds are 10 & 6m/s) if the AC can't reach the max specified max speeds for those modes... this will likely happen when the AC is affected by a strong head wind for instance.

(As a curiosity ... even my old Mavic Air 1 uses this feature, it goes automatically to Sport tilt of 35 degrees if it can't reach the max 8m/s it have for the normal mode (but it will just use enough extra tilt to reach the normal mode ground speed of 8m/s). So no need to manually switch to Sport if slow against a too strong head wind.)

With this I can see a scenario for the Mini SE where it's limited to the same max ground speeds as the Mini 1 (using a tilt angle of max 30 degrees) in order to not interfere with the Mini 2's speed advantage ... but software wise allow the AC to utilize the Mini 2's max 40 degrees to maintain a ground speed of max 10m/s ... therefore can be classified similar as the Mini 2 when it comes to wind resistance.

As I can't find the specs regarding the Mavic SE (only gets a 404 the page you’re looking for can’t be found message) ...
The specs from DJI are shown in post #2
I can only relate to the Mini 1 & Mini 2... & on that paint a plausible scenario.

The Mini 2 also have a feature that will allow utilization of the full max 40 degree tilt (like in Sport) even in N & C mode (where the max speeds are 10 & 6m/s) if the AC can't reach the max specified max speeds for those modes... this will likely happen when the AC is affected by a strong head wind for instance.
After so many Minis were blown away early on, DJI made the additional tilt of Sport Mode available to deal with wind problems.

The original Mini and the Mini SE specs show identical max speeds in all modes, and thus would be expected have a similar ability to deal with strong winds.

Last edited:
... DJI made the additional tilt of Sport Mode available to deal with wind problems.

The original Mini and the Mini specs show identical max speeds in all modes, and thus would be expected have a similar ability to deal with strong winds.
Dji can either choose to make the same Sport tilt angle available in other modes if their ground speeds can't be reached or maintained in windy situations & SW wise limit the ground speed to the max specified speed stated in the specification for the model & mode used when it happens.

Or they can choose to utilize an even bigger tilt angle than the one Sport mode for the model uses if the motors can support it (using the 40 degrees from the Mini 2 instead of 30 for instance), but only when dealing with winds ... & sw wise still limit the Mini SE to a ground speed equal to that models Sport mode... or the mode in use when affected by too strong winds.

In this way DJI will not make a higher manual speed available to the user which might interfere with a more expensive models higher speed advantage ... but in the same time make that cheaper model more resistant to being blown away.

Review from Captain Drone

I fly Mini SE, and it fly well against wind..

Other Youtuber has some video about comparison Mini SE vs Mini vs Mini 2 wind resistance (danstube. tv for example) And their results is same.. SE can holds wind compares to original Mini

I dont own the original Mini, but like i said, my Mini SE holds wind pretty well, i never experienced any blown away or wind-drifting incidents.. yes, Mini SE will consume more battery juice in windy condition, but it flies well..

Reactions: Crash and Burn
Interesting : The original Mini could not fly with the Rescue jacket, it just seemed to not have the power and was terrible in the wind on just the hover alone.

The Mini 2 came and we tried the Rescue Jacket again and with the exception of the Payload mode coming on the Mini 2 seemed much stronger in that sense.

When we put the Prop Covers on the Mini it again struggled , however with the Mini 2 the drone was fine.

We trashed the Mini and the Mini 2 found our respect. I think the Mini had other issues that just did not help it any in the wind and the Mini 2 all though the same specs did perform better in stronger winds and became Storm worthy within reason. Flying in the wind is one thing , but landing in the wind is the real risk.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the rain.

Last edited:
Interesting : The original Mini could not fly with the Rescue jacket, it just seemed to not have the power and was terrible in the wind on just the hover alone.

The Mini 2 came and we tried the Rescue Jacket again and with the exception of the Payload mode coming on the Mini 2 seemed much stronger in that sense.

When we put the Prop Covers on the Mini it again struggled , however with the Mini 2 the drone was fine.

We trashed the Mini and the Mini 2 found our respect. I think the Mini had other issues that just did not help it any in the wind and the Mini 2 all though the same speed specs did perform better in stronger winds and became Storm worthy within reason. Flying in the wind is one thing , but landing in the wind is the real risk.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the
The Mini and the Mini 2 have different speed and wind specs.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had the original Mini and now have the Mini SE and I can tell you for sure there is a big difference in the way the mini se handles in higher winds compared to the original mini. The mini se is also more responsive, I can say from experience the mini se handles much better in higher winds the original mini.

Last edited:
Max ground speed for the mini 1 and mini se may be the same, at 13m/s, but it would appear that the SE has a higher max air speed, which makes all the difference when fighting wind.

I have a mini1 and it's ground speed is limited by software. I think its max airspeed is close to 13m/s but have never measured it in a reliable way.

Max ground speed for the mini 1 and mini se may be the same, at 13m/s, but it would appear that the SE has a higher max air speed, which makes all the difference when fighting wind.

I have a mini1 and it's ground speed is limited by software. I think its max airspeed is close to 13m/s but have never measured it in a reliable way.
The max speed specs for both models are identical:
  • Max Speed (near sea level, no wind)​

• 13 m/s (S Mode)
    8 m/s (P Mode)
    4 m/s (C Mode)
That's the max airspeed.
It will only equal the max ground speed if there is no wind.
They can't give you the groundspeed in the specs, because groundspeed varies and will depend on how much the drone is being affected by wind.
To measure your airspeed, just fly in windless conditions.

The max airspeed is limited by the max tilt angle.
And it's the same for both drones.
Max Tilt Angle 30° (S Mode)

I'm curious to know how a drone could fly faster than its max airspeed.

Last edited:
@Meta4 How do you know those figures are the MAX air speeds? They are certainly the max ground speeds as the drone won't exceed these in still air or with a tailwind. I'm convinced the firmware has been programmed to limit the ground speed (GPS speed) to these figures, so there is a possibility that the aircraft is capable of higher airspeeds. The only time I've seen these speeds exceeded is during RTH whilst applying forward stick.

I've experimented with max tilt angles of more than 30deg on a mini1 and found that the aircraft can cope with tilts of around 40deg without loss of altitude. However, this amount of available tilt still doesn't achieve higher ground speeds than the figures stated. Acceleration is noticably swifter due to the increased tilt limit, but max groundspeed is still capped by the firmware. By examining log files I've noticed that at maximum ground speed on a calm day the aircraft typically isn't using the full amount of tilt available. Eg max tilt is 30deg (or even 40deg if parameters are changed), but at max speed it is only using 20-25deg tilt, so the implication is it could achieve higher air speeds. The motors also have some spare headroom, so that's not starting to limit the speed.

Assuming groundspeed is being referred to when you refer to a drone's "speed" then flying downwind could easily allow the drone to fly faster than its max airspeed (unless, of course, the firmware caps the groundspeed).

Last edited:
Reactions: Crash and Burn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose