DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Winter is coming

Tatankha

Reactions
Hi Everyone
Winter is coming and even more so in Canada.... are there any serious solutions ( not a McGyver solution) to fly in cold weather (-5c to -10c ) with a mavic air 2 to avoid spending 6 months looking at my drone in its box ? I know some models like the mavic entreprise or the Inspire 2 have heated batteries, but how about mavic air2?
Thanks!!!

Reactions: lowellton
Hi Everyone
Winter is coming and even more so in Canada.... are there any serious solutions ( not a McGyver solution) to fly in cold weather (-5c to -10c ) with a mavic air 2 to avoid spending 6 months looking at my drone in its box ? I know some models like the mavic entreprise or the Inspire 2 have heated batteries, but how about mavic air2?
Thanks!!!

There are a couple things you can do:

We Recommend you Consider getting a Wet Suit for your Air 2
and getting the Rescue Jacket.

The Wet Suit Come with Battery Covers that seal the battery and provide 6 Degrees more heat which we know helps in the colder climates.

This along with keeping your batteries warm before take off should get you up in the air.

Email me for any questions:
[email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIr 2 in the Rain /Snow and Float on Water.

Updated: Example of what you might be in for:

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
Thanks!!!

Yeah. Move to Florida. ?.

In my experience (Montreal), keeping batteries in a pocket close to your body is enough to keep them at a decent temperature for flying, as stated above.
What really bugs me is how fast your hands lose heat to the environment. Anything below 0ish and you have to be prepared. I've tried photography gloves and those weird, Y shaped gloves for the remote. The first ones don't keep your hands warm for long (specially the ones with removable tips). The latter actually does keep warmth in, but they're a hassle to stay in place. Maybe with the smart controller they'd be easier to use.

Hi Everyone
Thanks!!!
There’s no major problem flying in the winter I’ve done it every winter so far and I live in Minneapolis where it is already winter hi ,s of 30 just try to keep the batteries as warm as possible right up till when you fly

Hi Everyone
Thanks!!!
No reason to 'leave it in the box'. I live in upstate New York and basically fly all winter, except when the temps are below ~18F - just being conservative. However, learned from experience; remember to also keep your controller, ipad, phone or etc warm too. I made a bag with a wide strap that hangs from my neck under an outer jacket. When ready to fly, simply retrieve it, use and return to it's warm pouch. Batteries are in a small insulated container or carry extra one in a warm jacket pocket. Don't fly after a battery indicates 50% or so usage. Have fun - winter can produce some excellent opportunities for great photos.

I'm happy that Katankha got some answers...I used to work summer projects in South Dakota. Noticing that all the buildings had vestibules etc. I'd ask what ARE the winters like here. I always got the same answer along with a rolling of eyes...you're from California..don't ask you couldn't handle it.

Hi Everyone
Thanks!!!
Biggest problem I had with winter flying was the iPhone I was using at the time. Battery on it couldn't take it and the phone lost power in less than 10 minutes. The drone and the controller should be okay, provided that you keep the batteries warm until you are ready to use them. I ended up buying a CrystaSky display. (for other reasons) It has no problem with temperatures down to -10 C.

In my experience (Montreal), keeping batteries in a pocket close to your body is enough to keep them at a decent temperature for flying, as stated above.
What really bugs me is how fast your hands lose heat to the environment. Anything below 0ish and you have to be prepared. I've tried photography gloves and those weird, Y shaped gloves for the remote. The first ones don't keep your hands warm for long (specially the ones with removable tips). The latter actually does keep warmth in, but they're a hassle to stay in place. Maybe with the smart controller they'd be easier to use.
Are those drone batteries in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me??

Sit in your heated car and fly, that will help you but not the drone. It works well. I believe DJI has recommended temperature (both high and low) in the manual. I would adhere to that and I would also keep the spare batteries in the heated car with me. Best wishes.

Thank you all!! Very useful tips. I will experiment as safely as possible!
I will fly in winter (NE of Toronto), but I have to remember to move around some rather than act like a fence post.....otherwise the lack of movement turns me into a 6 foot popsicle. :eek:

There is a big difference between flying in the Snow and flying in the Extreme cold .

Two things happen when the Power Button get Compromised.

Warning that the battery can no longer connect with the Drone
The Battery begins to swell several days latter as the Dis Charging is disrupted.

Notice how fast the Power Button gets covered in the Slow motion footage:
Something to consider for those flying every day in the snow / extreme cold temps and Rain.

There is a big difference between flying in the Snow and flying in the Extreme cold .

Two things happen when the Power Button get Compromised.

Warning that the battery can no longer connect with the Drone
The Battery begins to swell several days latter as the Dis Charging is disrupted.

Notice how fast the Power Button gets covered in the Slow motion footage:
Something to consider for those flying every day in the snow / extreme cold temps and Rain.

Ya, don't think I'll be flying a lot while it's snowing. Cold though, down to -5 or so. Hard to keep the fingers warm. Sitting in the car, possible, but I wonder about what that does to communications with the drone then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS