DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whitch drone for video and photography

Glenn71

Reactions
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask a question about witch drone people in this forum who are interested in photography and video making recommend.
I got a DJI Mavic Mini fly more from my son this Christmas, and that was the best gift I ever had.
But as I have expensive photo equipment I would like to take photos in raw, and that is not supported in the Mini.
I know that the DJI Mavic 2 Pro is great but I also see that some say DJI Mavic Air 2 also is great.

Is there anybody that have any recommendation?

Regards from a beginner from Norway! :)

But as I have expensive photo equipment I would like to take photos in raw, and that is not supported in the Mini.
I know that the DJI Mavic 2 Pro is great but I also see that some say DJI Mavic Air 2 also is great.
If you are serious about photography or video, the Mavic 2 pro is the only Mavic with a 1" sensor and controllable aperture.
The others all have tiny sensors and a fixed aperture lens.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask a question about witch drone people in this forum who are interested in photography and video making recommend.
I got a DJI Mavic Mini fly more from my son this Christmas, and that was the best gift I ever had.

Ditto @Meta4

I’ll jump on the dogpile favoring M2P, as well.

OP states having expensive photographic equipment, so why buy an entry-level Nikon D3300? If you’re talking mirrorless cameras with lenses that cost more than the camera, than the Mavic 2 Pro is right up your alley.

For all the reasons a majority favor their M2P, it became my second drone after my Mini. And when I’m flying the occasional commercial mission, my M2P is the only bird I consider.

With a M2P of your own, you won’t be a beginner for long. :)

I'd go for a Phantom 4 Pro. We use a P4P+ for professional work. You're likely to be able to get a good used one as many people are switching to the Mavic range. One advantage is that you can fly in strong wind.

That said, we've also now got the Mini 2 - which has RAW, as well as other significant improvements on the Mini 1. And it can produce very good results. We only fly for work.

Check your new drone regulations. Here in the UK, there are many advantages for using the Mini 2 because it's under 250g.

As you're Norwegian, I hope you've watched the excellent film The 12th Man - a true story - currently on Netflix. ??

Hi,

What is a "witch" drone? did you mean to write "which" drone?

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
I wouldn't let the comment about the P4 Pro being good in the wind dissuade you from choosing the MP2. I've flown the MP2 in some pretty strong wind that I expected to force an abort. I've seen the bird bounced around pretty well and assumed that the video footage would be unusable, but not so. It's indiscernible from a calm day. Nothing against the P4 Pro, but unless you are a tornado chaser, you'll do perfectly well in the wind with the MP2.

Hi,

I have a M 2 Pro with the Hasselblad camera. It’s wasn’t cheap but images are stunning. As usual, you get what you pay for. If you simply aren’t satisfied, save your $$ and trade up.

One thought - you might find it saves your expensive bird if you pre-fly your mission with a cheaper bird. Having similar flight controls/systems would help. I say this because now, 8 months into flying, I still find myself improving my flying skills. The smaller, lighter ma2 will take raw, has less liability in a crash, and costs less to loose. Flying is NOT secondary to photography.

Reactions: tlswift58
Hi,

Depends on how much money you want to spend. Personally, for the money I don't think you can beat the Mavic air 2. I do a lot of photography and am very pleased with the quality that I get in my photos and video for the money.

If I had the money....... Ha! I would have both.

Since I do but I am married. I had to settle for the MA2. :oops:

I did not want to hear about how much the M2P cost.

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
What is a "witch" drone? did you mean to write "which" drone?
No he has the witch drone, the one that comes with the little broom you stick between the landing legs!!!

However, we need to understand that he is from Norway and his English is 1000% better than your or my Norwegian, so let us be kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik Janssen
I wouldn't let the comment about the P4 Pro being good in the wind dissuade you from choosing the MP2. I've flown the MP2 in some pretty strong wind that I expected to force an abort. I've seen the bird bounced around pretty well and assumed that the video footage would be unusable, but not so. It's indiscernible from a calm day. Nothing against the P4 Pro, but unless you are a tornado chaser, you'll do perfectly well in the wind with the MP2.
I have not heard of the MP2 which one is that? Or do you mean the Mavic 2 PRO? (M2P)

Reactions: careless
Hi,

I have the Mavic 2 Pro and if you can afford that one then go with it, it has a great camera that can be adjusted in the aperture, which is a great thing to be able to adjust during flight. It has a 1 inch sensor for still photos, but in video mode it only uses half the sensor size because it only scans every other line, to try and reduce the heat involved when filming inside such a small camera case. Even with that, the video quality is excellent.
Here is a link to some video filmed in Austria with the Mavic 2 Pro. Lucian Bartosik Austria, Wales and Ohio from the air on Vimeo.

I was new to flying anything radio control when I bought the Mavic pro first and although scary, I got on fine with it. The M2Pro was just as easy to fly and I'm sure if you take it easy at first you will have no problems flying it. Do remember to always fly the drone first and think about your photography second, so that you stay flying safe. I am also a photographer and all the Mavic models are very good. Therefore, it would depend on what you wanted to do with your photos, eventually, that might determine which model Mavic you might choose.

Last edited:
Hi,

Air2 ALL the way. Cheaper, which is nice - but photo / video quality is great / outstanding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929