DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the U.S. follow other countries in drone regs?

Rchawks

Reactions
I know they say it won't come to a head until 2024 for the FAA regulations, but do you think we'll follow the other countries lead in this? It's my understanding that the recreational flyers have to register but not take a test if over 250 g. What do you know about this subject for future reference.

No I'm sure the FAA understands what it plans to do. My only question was in the US recreational flyers only have to register their drone (250+) and not take a test, is this correct? I was thinking I read somewhere in Canada and the UK this was required. Is this incorrect? If so I apologize.

Last edited:
In the US recreational flyers only have to register their drone (250+) and not take a test, is this correct? I was thinking I read somewhere in Canada and the UK this was required. Is this incorrect? If so I apologize I thought regulations were still being ironed out.

The current law requires the FAA to develop a test for recreational pilots.

(1) In general.--Not later than 180 days after the date
of enactment of this section, the Administrator, in
consultation with manufacturers of unmanned aircraft systems,
other industry stakeholders, and community-based organizations,
shall develop an aeronautical knowledge and safety test, which
can then be administered electronically by the Administrator, a
community-based organization, or a person designated by the
Administrator.
(2) Requirements.--The Administrator shall ensure the
aeronautical knowledge and safety test is designed to
adequately demonstrate an operator's--
(A) understanding of aeronautical safety
knowledge; and
(B) knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration
regulations and requirements pertaining to the
operation of an unmanned aircraft system in the
national airspace system.

Reactions: Simone L
The Knowledge test is in the works. Once it's available, hobbyists flying under Section 349 of H.R. 302 (hobby rules) will have to take the test and carry a copy (digital is probably fine) to prove that they have taken it.

The Knowledge Test and flying under a CBO with a set of safety guidelines that were co-developed with the FAA are the only parts of the recreationally rules that aren't active yet.

Here in the UK we are required to take a written test if our drone weighs more than 250g. Its a fairly straight forward test and at the age of 80 I passed it first time. The test can be taken on-line or through your club.
The subsequent "licence" number must be displayed on the drone. A more rigorous test needs to be taken if the drone is to be used for commercial purposes
Although we are speaking here of drones the same regulation applies to all fixed wing model aircraft and helicopters if they exceed the 250g weight limit. I have two gliders which are now within the compass of these regulations.
The fixed wing modelers are a little upset as they have enjoyed their hobby restriction free for nearly a century and now as a result of the availability of 250g plus drones they are being brought within the scope of the new regulations

Here in the UK we are required to take a written test if our drone weighs more than 250g. Its a fairly straight forward test and at the age of 80 I passed it first time. The test can be taken on-line or through your club.
The subsequent "licence" number must be displayed on the drone. A more rigorous test needs to be taken if the drone is to be used for commercial purposes
Although we are speaking here of drones the same regulation applies to all fixed wing model aircraft and helicopters if they exceed the 250g weight limit. I have two gliders which are now within the compass of these regulations.
The fixed wing modelers are a little upset as they have enjoyed their hobby restriction free for nearly a century and now as a result of the availability of 250g plus drones they are being brought within the scope of the new regulations

Exactly what I was trying to refer to, thank you very much for the input, my verbal skills are not up to task on all these subjects I'm sorry to say. While we're on the subject and I realize here in the US it may be different, but what kind of fee are you required to pay for the test and how often? Also as you stated a serial number must be displayed on the outside of the drone, so when you applied online did you have to wait for the tag before flying, or is attaching the numbers until receiving the tag acceptable? Again different country but I am curious.

There will be 2 levels of registration available. One for people with a vaccine card, and another registration for people without one. But both registrations will come with tracking software enabled.

Can you really rule it out?

Actually no. Without getting off track that's not something I'm thrilled about at all. Not a lot of faith in new untested vaccines

Exactly what I was trying to refer to, thank you very much for the input, my verbal skills are not up to task on all these subjects I'm sorry to say. While we're on the subject and I realize here in the US it may be different, but what kind of fee are you required to pay for the test and how often? Also as you stated a serial number must be displayed on the outside of the drone, so when you applied online did you have to wait for the tag before flying, or is attaching the numbers until receiving the tag acceptable? Again different country but I am curious.
The cost of the test is £9.00 which is about $10-11 and the "licence" lasts for two years. At the moment there are no plans for requiring a retest at the end of the two year period. When I took my test I got my "licence" number within about 24 hours so no great problem. The licence number should be displayed on the outside of the drone but I have to admit that mine along with my name and address is fixed to the inside of the battery compartment of my Mavic Pro. A technical infringement I know but at least it will not be disfigured with constant handling. I have also hinted at a small reward being avaiable if the drone is found following a mishap (fly away).
Personally I cant ever see the authorities ( the police) wanting to see the details and I'm pretty certain they will not know the minutea of the regulations, unless there is an incident.
The fixed wing and heli model pilots are a little annoyed with the regulations being applied to them, as they have had virtually unregulated flying for the lifetime of the hobby. they see this regulation having been brought down on them by the drone community. I do try and reason with them that it is only a certain element within the drone flyers who may cause a problem.
Enjoy your flying.

No I'm sure the FAA understands what it plans to do. My only question was in the US recreational flyers only have to register their drone (250+) and not take a test, is this correct? I was thinking I read somewhere in Canada and the UK this was required. Is this incorrect? If so I apologize.

The UK and most countries i know of have a test for >250g.
And there should be a test. And it should be a lot harder than it actually is.

Pretty much every country ive experience has its own and often completely different drone regs to everyone else.
EASA might change that in europe but even that allows local additions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas