DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Won’t fly straight.

Howcroft22

Reactions
Seems like lately my Mavic has been getting worse at pulling to the left when I try to fly. Especially if I fly slow. I’ve noticed it more as I’ve been flying slower trying to get nice video shots. It’s really annoying me I tried calibrating the compass out in the middle of a frozen lake to see if that helps and it did not change anything for me. It’s bad enough where you can see the gps trail curving. Any ideas? I’ve never crashed either. I have also noticed that often when hovering it will drop a few feet then rise a few feet over and over. And it will also Austin start turning while hovering slightly. But it does it very slowly.

Last edited:
The winds are gusting for like 5 miles an hour at the most it’s nothing to do with that. I’ve tried covering it multiple altitudes from 5 feet to 200 feet and it does the same thing. I tried uploading a video but it won’t let me it says file is too large and it’s only like 20 seconds

Calibrate compass and IMU, then calibrate your RC if the problem persists.

I’ll give it a shot. I really hope this doesn’t keep up. It’s literally like two days past where I can exchange it. I thought I had more time. But I was wrong. So I need to figure it out.

Check that all your propellers are intact - remove them to check the pivots, locking lugs and flex them to check for cracks. Reattach them and check they sit properly.

Check your Mavic's arms fold smoothly in and out, and stay in the outward position properly (especially the rear arms).

As for sensors - Compass first as it's the most straightforward to do, and test afterwards (since you're going to be outside, away from metal when you calibrate your compass, you may as well test fly it afterwards).

If the problem is still present, calibrate your IMU on a level surface (there are apps on Google Play and the App Store you can use to check if the surface is level). Test again.

If the issue still occurs, calibrate your RC (and test) and vision systems (and test).

Compass first as it's the most straightforward to do, and test afterwards (since you're going to be outside, away from metal when you calibrate your compass, you may as well test fly it afterwards).

If the problem is still present, calibrate your IMU on a level surface (there are apps on Google Play and the App Store you can use to check if the surface is level). Test again.

If the issue still occurs, calibrate your RC (and test) and vision systems (and test).

Oh ok. Good to know. I don’t have too many wide open areas around me but how far away from objects should I be when doing the compass calibration

Oh ok. Good to know. I don’t have too many wide open areas around me but how far away from objects should I be when doing the compass calibration

At least two meters away from metal objects. Try and realise that objects you might not think about may contain metal (like springs in a mattress, supports in a deck, or reinforcement in paving).

Sources of EM interference vary, but are usually obvious and easily avoided (transformers, power lines, or transmitters).

Also, what display device are you using? If it's a tablet - some have magnets in the back for attaching covers (like the Galaxy Tab A6) which can interfere with the RC's Hall-effect sensors.

At least two meters away from metal objects. Try and realise that objects you might not think about may contain metal (like springs in a mattress, supports in a deck, or reinforcement in paving).

Sources of EM interference vary, but are usually obvious and easily avoided (transformers, power lines, or transmitters).

Also, what display device are you using? If it's a tablet - some have magnets in the back for attaching covers (like the Galaxy Tab A6) which can interfere with the RC's Hall-effect sensors.

Im using an iPad. I’ll try with my iPhone.

Hall Effect Sensors on the RC? Why would it have those?

Deffo cal the remote controller, compass, IMU, change the props for another set, just to eliminate as you go along

Reactions: Howcroft22
So I calibrated the compass, the RC, and the imu. Also changed the props. It was windy today so I couldn’t get the perfect test but I kept it real low and it seem like it was staying more steady. I will try again tomorrow when the winds die out.

Reactions: ICHOTT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair