DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Working on a video of a Spanish Medieval Village

eutx9795

Reactions
Feel free to make any comment or critic

First, let me say "WOW"!!!! Probably the most incredible footage I've seen in any showcase video so far. So perfectly executed. Great flying. I would love to pick your brain about everything about your shoot. Camera, settings, plan, editing sofware... everything. Bravisimo! I think this one one of the coolest cinematic productions I've seen in a long time.

IF IT WASN'T THIS GREAT I'd leave it at "wow". But since you asked for critical thoughts, and this video is far too great to let the little things pass.
I have a few specific thoughts.

At 0:08 I think you could cut later. I wanted to see the smaller strucure with the red roof a bit longer. Just hang on there just bit or perhaps zoom in at an earlier point so it doesn't appear as an afterthought heading toward the fort (fort?). Also at that point pay attention to the music and your cut. It would be awesome if the jump cut and chord change could happen at the same time right there. You seem to have done that on every other cut and it works great. BTW.... Music selection is awesome and perfect.

Perhaps cut the clip at 1;12 with the white car and people entirely. I found it visually disruptive to the awesome flow you had going and didn't really add anything to the piece.

Around 1:23 you're up above the clouds. I love it. Are the rules different in Europe? I believe that would be a no-no in the US, as my understanding here is you have to be 500' below cloud level. I also love the places where you flew through the mist.

1:40... I'd knock the exposure down perhaps .5 stops (maybe .7 or 1 stop?). It's a bit over-exposed IMO which kills your saturation and detail. The sign Dios Ha Nacido couldn't be read while panning because of it and I think the stone shadow detail could be more prominent.

2:27 you speed ramped past the arched doorway. I wanted to look inside more of it. I recommend, if doing the speed ramp hold off for another second or two. A small adjustment here will really add to the impact and interest in that clip.

2:30-2:56.... This was my least favorite footage of the whole project. It was all panning with really (IMO) not true center of interest and didn't really match the majesty of your other footage took away from the project rather than added. I think you could leave it out. I like the footage at 3:04 much bettter. It gives you the flavor and purpose missing in the other longer panned shot.

Lastly, the sunset at the end of your film is gorgeous. What I would recommend is that rather than the music fade before the video, let the music linger and fade a second or two longer than the video. IMO that will provide much more impact to the ending.

And so those are my thoughts regarding this project. Amazing my friend... amazing. Thank you SO much for sharing it. I am inspired by your work.

First, let me say "WOW"!!!! Probably the most incredible footage I've seen in any showcase video so far. So perfectly executed. Great flying. I would love to pick your brain about everything about your shoot. Camera, settings, plan, editing sofware... everything. Bravisimo! I think this one one of the coolest cinematic productions I've seen in a long time.

IF IT WASN'T THIS GREAT I'd leave it at "wow". But since you asked for critical thoughts, and this video is far too great to let the little things pass.

Thank you very much! It has been a long time since I read such well argued and constructive criticism and I have to apologize for the time it took me to reply: I have been very busy

I have been working on the video based on your comments and I will upload a new version very soon

At 0:08 I think you could cut later. I wanted to see the smaller strucure with the red roof a bit longer. Just hang on there just bit or perhaps zoom in at an earlier point so it doesn't appear as an afterthought heading toward the fort (fort?). Also at that point pay attention to the music and your cut. It would be awesome if the jump cut and chord change could happen at the same time right there. You seem to have done that on every other cut and it works great. BTW.... Music selection is awesome and perfect.
Delaying the cut to .08 to coincide with a chord change would be taking it to .17, which would make the scene too long

I think the cut was one frame behind the music so I moved it forward one frame

The small structure with the red roof that you see in the scene, is the church with the cemetery that you see several times along the video

As to whether to call it a castle or a fortress, it is the typical medieval castle with several lines of defence / walls where the latest one protects the village inside it

Perhaps cut the clip at 1;12 with the white car and people entirely. I found it visually disruptive to the awesome flow you had going and didn't really add anything to the piece.

I'm totally agree. I've replaced the scene

Around 1:23 you're up above the clouds. I love it. Are the rules different in Europe? I believe that would be a no-no in the US, as my understanding here is you have to be 500' below cloud level. I also love the places where you flew through the mist.

That's right, the rules are the same in Europe but they were very low clouds, which were almost covering the castle, so I had to lift the drone very little to be above them

1:40... I'd knock the exposure down perhaps .5 stops (maybe .7 or 1 stop?). It's a bit over-exposed IMO which kills your saturation and detail. The sign Dios Ha Nacido couldn't be read while panning because of it and I think the stone shadow detail could be more prominent.

Done. But it is not a problem of exposure but of reflections from the sun

2:27 you speed ramped past the arched doorway. I wanted to look inside more of it. I recommend, if doing the speed ramp hold off for another second or two. A small adjustment here will really add to the impact and interest in that clip.

I dinn´t speed ramped while editting, I supose I did it while flying.

I have just added a speed ramp to slow down the scene

2:30-2:56.... This was my least favorite footage of the whole project. It was all panning with really (IMO) not true center of interest and didn't really match the majesty of your other footage took away from the project rather than added. I think you could leave it out. I like the footage at 3:04 much bettter. It gives you the flavor and purpose missing in the other longer panned shot.

I want to show ground footage of the village so I will think on what to do about

Thanks for your fantastic review!!

You're welcome. It was just too good a video not to be nit picky. I'm sure it will be spectacular. I was totally envious of your footage even with the original. I hope to produce as good aerial videos one day (soon?). We sure don't have that kind of scenery in Chicago.

Reactions: eutx9795
Feel free to make any comment or critic
Hi eutx,
amazing! Absolutely fantastic shots of the beautyfull village!
concerning the critics: "vindibona" already said everything.

My two cents: When you pan to the left as at 2.30 the you pan right at 2.39 that disturbes the visual impression!

compliments for your amazing video!
cheers Paul

Reactions: Emanáku
Here it's the new version

You're welcome. It was just too good a video not to be nit picky. I'm sure it will be spectacular. I was totally envious of your footage even with the original. I hope to produce as good aerial videos one day (soon?). We sure don't have that kind of scenery in Chicago.

Thanks again for your nice comments and about scenery, it's easy, just come to Spain ;);)

But it's funny, almost no one watch my videos, for example, this one 2 Pro - Landscapes of Cantabria Region ( Spain ) - Valleys and Cliffs

Hi eutx,
amazing! Absolutely fantastic shots of the beautyfull village!
concerning the critics: "vindibona" already said everything.

My two cents: When you pan to the left as at 2.30 the you pan right at 2.39 that disturbes the visual impression!

compliments for your amazing video!
cheers Paul

Thanks!!

About 2:30 & 2:39, I have changed it on last version posted here Working on a video of a Spanish Medieval Village

Thanks again for your nice comments and about scenery, it's easy, just come to Spain ;);)

But it's funny, almost no one watch my videos, for example, this one 2 Pro - Landscapes of Cantabria Region ( Spain ) - Valleys and Cliffs

I love Spain! I spent 10 days in Barcelona in 2012 and would move there in a heartbeat if they didn't make so difficult. Sadly I didn't have time to visit other cities when I was there. Where specifically is that castle located? Maybe when this COVID thing runs it's course I'll have to return.

Here it's the new version

What can I say? I think this is a video that could be studied as an example of what aerial cinematography should look like. I know I'm going to study it already started. I will just have to watch it 100 more time. I already picked up one subltle technique that seems so easy... You applied elevation as you did a subtle pan and I thought it was so cool. I'm going to have to use that if I even have to do a pan. Also, I thought the end shot of the sunset with the clouds coming into the Spanish flag couldn't have been more perfect to close it out. BRAVO!

I love Spain! I spent 10 days in Barcelona in 2012 and would move there in a heartbeat if they didn't make so difficult. Sadly I didn't have time to visit other cities when I was there. Where specifically is that castle located? Maybe when this COVID thing runs it's course I'll have to return.

It's a pity that you cannot visit the rest of the country.

About the castle of the video, it's on the centre of the country: two hours driving from Madrid capital, but we have more than 15.000 castles, some stands up in better or worse condicion and others are just ruined block of stones ... so you can find them everywhere along the country

What can I say? I think this is a video that could be studied as an example of what aerial cinematography should look like. I know I'm going to study it already started. I will just have to watch it 100 more time. I already picked up one subltle technique that seems so easy... You applied elevation as you did a subtle pan and I thought it was so cool. I'm going to have to use that if I even have to do a pan. Also, I thought the end shot of the sunset with the clouds coming into the Spanish flag couldn't have been more perfect to close it out. BRAVO!

Thank you! But there are a lot of other people making amazing aerial videos and I'm quite envious of many of them: I still have a lot to learn and improve, I've learned that the best way to improve one's video skills is to see what others are doing and stick with what you like about each one.

By the way, I've tried to improve some more things in the video that I think weren't quite right. This will be the version I publish:

Reactions: Emanáku
Now it´s perfect euxt! Looks more fluid, good changement!
I watched your video España, tierra de castillos y fortalezas on youtube and made a comment Thumbswayup :) And I subscribed to your channel!
saludos de Pablo

Thanks Pablo!! I really appreciate it

By the way, I've tried to improve some more things in the video that I think weren't quite right. This will be the version I publish:
perfect! Thumbswayup Thumbswayup The only thing you should change: The last clip should fade out with the end of the music, that would add the perfect final touch!
cheers Paul

Thank you! But there are a lot of other people making amazing aerial videos and I'm quite envious of many of them: I still have a lot to learn and improve, I've learned that the best way to improve one's video skills is to see what others are doing and stick with what you like about each one.

Ok... I've watched the latest version. Very nice. I really don't have anything to add about the video. Supermagnifico!

I'm going to echo what @Jack43 said about the sound clip at the end and go a bit further. I think in this case I would arrange it so that the music hangs for a second or two BEYOND the video fade out which will keep the psychological motion moving forward. One more small thing... I'm wondering if the volume levels on the audio couldn't be pulled back a smidgeon? How are the volumes levels on your VU meter in your editing program when it gets loud?

And BTW... As I listened and watched, the sound track reminded me vaguely of the last movement (IV) of Respighi's PINES OF ROME. Where did you get the sound track (both source and means of duplication)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo