DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

World's Largest Open Pit Copper Mine

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
I went for a drive last weekend and ended up at the overlook for the Bingham Canyon Mine on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley. Like the title says, this place is the largest open pit copper mining excavation in the world. It's over 2.5 miles wide at its widest point and almost 4,000 feet deep. They had a major landslide there in 2013 and it was the largest non-volcanic landslide recorded in North America. So I guess Mt. St. Helens still beat it. But the place is immense. The trucks you can see driving down the wall look like ants but they're actually 51 feet long and drive on 12 foot tall tires. The scale of the place boggles my mind. Anyway, thought you all might be interested in a look. Enjoy!

I will have to go back on a day with less harsh light and shadows. Filmed with a Mavic 2 Pro in 4k dlog at 30 fps. Edited in DaVinci Resolve 16.

@IShouldBeWorking interesting video ,a real mine of information (sorry my stupid sense of humour again)

wonder if they will ever get to the bottom of it (oh no not again sorry)

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
  • Haha
Nice video with very smooth panning. Which drone were you using and what settings? Wish I could get yaw movement that smooth.

These jokes are the lowest of the low. When in a hole, stop digging!?

(I, too, can't resist a punny thread)

• Haha
Nice video with very smooth panning. Which drone were you using and what settings? Wish I could get yaw movement that smooth.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! So here's the funny thing about that yaw movement. That shot was actually sped up! I find just moving slow is the key. Then I can always tweak the speed in post. I always shoot with a 1/60th shutter when I'm doing 30 frames per second video. That helps a ton too.

I went for a drive last weekend and ended up at the overlook for the Bingham Canyon Mine on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley. Like the title says, this place is the largest open pit copper mining excavation in the world. It's over 2.5 miles wide at its widest point and almost 4,000 feet deep. They had a major landslide there in 2013 and it was the largest non-volcanic landslide recorded in North America. So I guess Mt. St. Helens still beat it. But the place is immense. The trucks you can see driving down the wall look like ants but they're actually 51 feet long and drive on 12 foot tall tires. The scale of the place boggles my mind. Anyway, thought you all might be interested in a look. Enjoy!

I will have to go back on a day with less harsh light and shadows. Filmed with a Mavic 2 Pro in 4k dlog at 30 fps. Edited in DaVinci Resolve 16.
so wonderful and it's all MINE.

Wow, very big and impressive place. It's like a mini manmade Grand Canyon!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom