DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worth Fixing? Crashed Mavic Pro

p2k

Reactions
A friend of mine crashed his Mavic Pro, and decided not to fix it, he sold off the battery, accessories, etc and cut out the gimble camera to sell on ebay.

He was about to toss it and i thought I could glue it up and let my son play with it like a toy so he gave it to me.

After reading up some posts on this forum, it seems that the drone can fly using your phone, and without the gimble/camera.

With a few parts it seems i might be able to get it up and running. I've got $0 invested in this, so I though spending a little to get this running might be worth it.

Required Parts:
Battery
Charger
Replacement Rear Left Arm
New Propellers

Just wondering if you thought this was worth while, or if there is something critical that i am not considering?

Also suggestions on where to get these things cheap would be appreciated. I'm located in Canada.

Thanks

A friend of mine crashed his Mavic Pro, and decided not to fix it, he sold off the battery, accessories, etc and cut out the gimble camera to sell on ebay.

He was about to toss it and i thought I could glue it up and let my son play with it like a toy so he gave it to me.

After reading up some posts on this forum, it seems that the drone can fly using your phone, and without the gimble/camera.

With a few parts it seems i might be able to get it up and running. I've got $0 invested in this, so I though spending a little to get this running might be worth it.

Required Parts:
Battery
Charger
Replacement Rear Left Arm
New Propellers

Just wondering if you thought this was worth while, or if there is something critical that i am not considering?

Also suggestions on where to get these things cheap would be appreciated. I'm located in Canada.

Thanks
Short answer; no. Craigslist $500-900 Cdn. This is not a toy. It has eight 4 inch spinning razor blades.

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Repair costs would be less than half the cost you describe.
Whether the op treats it as a toy or a tool to teach his son how this platform works would be his decision and per his instructions.
And I did just find a charger that I don’t need that can be included in with the props.

From a local supplier (I have taken my local prices)

- Battery about 210 Can $
- Arm Ca 105 Can $

Seems worth a try.

Good luck!

Reactions: DWHOT
Thanks for all the help especially Starz, I decided to give it a shot and fix it up. Ill be doing it in stages, with less expensive fixes first, and if things are worse than expected I can stop with minimal investment.

Fix(glue) the rear arms
Replace broken rotors.
Try to find someone local who would be willing to let me test the drone with their battery.
I suspect the rear left motor may be damaged. Replace rear left arm if needed
Purchase a battery.
I have a gopro i could temporarily attach to it.
And finally if i get hooked, replace the gimble/camera, but I think that its cost prohibitive.

If you hook a GoPro to it, make sure the WiFi is turned off on the camera.

Reactions: p2k
Would be worth it for something to play around and practice with for a low cost. Worth a try to see if you can get it up in the air at least!

If arm and props (an possibly motor) is the only thing that needs fixing, it is an easy fix, and I would definitely give it a try. You can get a lot of parts on Ebay or Aliexpress.
I would start from buying a used battery though - just so that you can connect it do DJI Assistant to set up wifi if needed and check what sort of errors it gives yo on startup. Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions: Though I'd share some photos.

This is how i got the drone:
IMG_20200430_153634.jpg

After repairing the rear left arm:
IMG-20200428-WA0005.jpeg

Testing if it turns on:
IMG_20200430_153600.jpg
I bypassed the smart battery and using a home alarm battery powered it directly from the mainboard.
This setup allowed me to connect using the DJI Go4 app via wifi. The sensors/radar seem to work and provide relatively accurate numbers.

I was unable to lift it off as the app says there was a battery signal error. I suspect i need an official battery.

Using DJI Assistant in DEV mode, I was able to test all 4 motors. As i suspected the rear left motor does work, but make a noticably different sound than the other 3.

Hunting for a cheap battery now.

Thanks for all the help, and ill post more pictures as i progress.

It was a bit of both, needed to make sure the wires werent shorted because some of the insulation on the motor wires were damaged. Plus its easier to handle without a dangly motor. If it turned out it was non functional, i would just give it to my son as is.

Once I got it started and everything seemed functional, I ordered the replacement arm.

Reactions: Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost