DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worth the extra coin

I like the bright screen and the simplicity of setup as mentioned. As a device packaged with an older DJI version of Android, you can't just go installing 3rd party apps. Some can be installed but it really is intended to simplify flying with the DJI Go app.

I like the bright screen and the simplicity of setup as mentioned. As a device packaged with an older DJI version of Android, you can't just go installing 3rd party apps. Some can be installed but it really is intended to simplify flying with the DJI Go app.
Yep... use you now freed up phone or tablet for other apps like weather, etc.

Deployment time in the field is worth it. I was a devout iPad mini4 user since Phantom 3 Pro, Spark, and initial Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro days. As soon as I tried the Smart Controller, I have not looked back. I don;t bother with apps other than DJI Go4 on the SC. I use my iPad Air for that and leave the SC strictly for flying.

Yes, just grab, turn on and fly. No cables, no iPad braces, no sun shades. Just pick up the SC in one hand and the bird in the other ... and go.

Reactions: Gindra
I like flying with SC for all the above reasons. The draw back is if you go pro you may be required to run apps that are not supported on SC. The Android build is either too old or somehow not standard and some Android apps don't work on it. Some apps just don't support Android at all.
So I had to also buy a "dumb" controller as well - but for everyday flying I use SC.
Also DJI seems to flub updates for the SC - the last on took 4 tries to get logging back.

Yes absolutely.

- Super bright screen
- Seamless operation (power on and go)
- Great UI, responsive OS
- Long battery life, great RF performance
- Screen record / MicroSD options
- Hot swap different drones with a single tap
- Joysticks feel a bit more solid
- No more cables, brackets, interruptions, etc.

Cons

- Miss the analog LCD flight info (speed, altitude, etc.) on the regular RC
- Heavier
- Not cheap

but pro’s outweigh cons all day :)

Reactions: Muddiver
Note that it’s a lot less expensive if you buy it initially with the drone.

Just sold my smart controller and reverted to regular RC + iphone 11 pro. The main deal breakers are :

1) cannot have the No Fly Zone disabled. This can be done with iOS mod app.
2) laggy live view and screen capture video :

Last edited:
This the smart controller worth the extra? I normally use a iPad Air 2 with my P4

I personally think it is a huge waste of money. I was one of the "early adopters" and had to put the M2P in the closet for 7-8 months, while trying to get the SC working reliably.....even then, without 3rd party support. I like the idea of simple power & go, with no mobile hassles. But they should have included a SIM card slot, to provide Internet access while in use. They could have integrated a $100 Huawei, or Xiaomi 5G mobile phone into it, and not subjected customers to a rogue Android system.

I finally located the basic RC unit, bought it, and use it exclusively when flying the M2P, with an iPhone. I should have bought a Crystal Sky :)

I check the SC every few months, and visit this forum, to learn what the devil DJI has done to 'improve it". It seems to still be "SNAFU"....:)

YMMV

I like flying with SC for all the above reasons. The draw back is if you go pro you may be required to run apps that are not supported on SC. The Android build is either too old or somehow not standard and some Android apps don't work on it. Some apps just don't support Android at all.
So I had to also buy a "dumb" controller as well - but for everyday flying I use SC.
Also DJI seems to flub updates for the SC - the last on took 4 tries to get logging back.

Flubbing is very polite. DJI makes great hardware, but their software support is very poor. I work for a very large hardware manufacturer, and we have the same challenges. Some of our software defies logic :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27