DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would a beginnger be less prone to crash a Mavic Air2?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I have a Mavic Mini on order. Costco had a killer Father's day deal and pushed me over the edge. $369 including extra battery and charging dock. I'd been considering going all-in for a Mavic Air2, but I've got all of 2 days previous flying experience. But here's my initial experience and thus my concerns...

2 weeks ago I received less expensive ($250) drone from Banggood. I had watched all the tutorials and read all the manuals, etc and was fully prepared for my first flight. Almost immediately, in GPS mode, just trying to do simple VERY slow manueuvers only a few feet from me, the drone decided to go off on it's own. I did the best I could for emergency landing, only a few feet off the ground. I tried a few more times to reset, recalibrate, etc and I just couldn't control it, in GPS mode or attitude mode. The navigation system just seemed WAY off, even for a beginner. Essentially the thing was prone to run away and crash. The scariest thing was when I hit the RTH button and it shot up in the air (as expected), then took off on its own when I had to go into attitude and try to coax it to the ground. A terrible first experience. No more "cheap drones" and it seemed that DJI was the way to go, at least for now.

I had contemplated a Mavic Air2 and could afford it if I had some confidence that I wasn't goingto destroy a $800 drone right away ($1000 with the flymore as I'd want to purchase it). As i said, the Mini with the extra battery and accessories that I (basically) need at the moment came in around $400. I know the MA2 has obstacle avoidance, but as a beginner would that be my concern as I'm just learning basic maneuvers, not plannning anything fancy at the moment in terms of trying to thread the needle through obstacles. Will a MA2 be that much less prone to get away, or conversely a MM prone to run away? I know that just 100M out the thing will be only a spec in the sky, so for awhile I won't be testing range.

FWIW, I am a retired professional photographer who once upon a lifetime (while we were still in VHS) did some professional video shooting. I'm not sure where this will take me, and I'm aware that in time I might want to pursue a part 107 license... but as of this moment still a raw beginner with some bad luck/experience on my first drone go-around.

Thoughts and advice? TIA

I have a Mavic Mini on order. Costco had a killer Father's day deal and pushed me over the edge. $369 including extra battery and charging dock. I'd been considering going all-in for a Mavic Air2, but I've got all of 2 days previous flying experience. But here's my initial experience and thus my concerns...

2 weeks ago I received less expensive ($250) drone from Banggood. I had watched all the tutorials and read all the manuals, etc and was fully prepared for my first flight. Almost immediately, in GPS mode, just trying to do simple VERY slow manueuvers only a few feet from me, the drone decided to go off on it's own. I did the best I could for emergency landing, only a few feet off the ground. I tried a few more times to reset, recalibrate, etc and I just couldn't control it, in GPS mode or attitude mode. The navigation system just seemed WAY off, even for a beginner. Essentially the thing was prone to run away and crash. The scariest thing was when I hit the RTH button and it shot up in the air (as expected), then took off on its own when I had to go into attitude and try to coax it to the ground. A terrible first experience. No more "cheap drones" and it seemed that DJI was the way to go, at least for now.

I had contemplated a Mavic Air2 and could afford it if I had some confidence that I wasn't goingto destroy a $800 drone right away ($1000 with the flymore as I'd want to purchase it). As i said, the Mini with the extra battery and accessories that I (basically) need at the moment came in around $400. I know the MA2 has obstacle avoidance, but as a beginner would that be my concern as I'm just learning basic maneuvers, not plannning anything fancy at the moment in terms of trying to thread the needle through obstacles. Will a MA2 be that much less prone to get away, or conversely a MM prone to run away? I know that just 100M out the thing will be only a spec in the sky, so for awhile I won't be testing range.

FWIW, I am a retired professional photographer who once upon a lifetime (while we were still in VHS) did some professional video shooting. I'm not sure where this will take me, and I'm aware that in time I might want to pursue a part 107 license... but as of this moment still a raw beginner with some bad luck/experience on my first drone go-around.

Thoughts and advice? TIA
I think the best decision you made is to go with "no more cheap drones". DJI generally makes solid drones that don't just "fly away" and that you can depend on.

As to being more or less prone crash, my belief is that it is most often determined more by piloting than it is by the drone features. I think that the overwhelming majority of crashes are due to pilot error.

My opinion is that the more you depend on sensors to avoid crashes then the less well equipped you will be to handle tough situations. Don't depend on sensors to avoid crashes. Instead practice how to control your craft, keep it in visual range, be aware of your surroundings and the weather, and don't push it beyond your capabilities.

Either drone is very stable. MA2 is of course less affected by wind and has a better camera, but the mini is great and better value imo. I got the mini just before MA2 released and haven't regretted my purchase. No issues whatsoever.

They are a brilliant drone an so easy to control I’ve done 20 min hyperlapse videos of clouds an it will hold itself to that position even with strong enough winds it will keep trying to come back to that position an there’s some great 4K video. It’s my second drone an like you, my first drone was really badly built an crashed but having this drone an seeing what it can do had me thinking about getting an inspire 2. I took it out the box put in software on my fone done the calibration which was done straight away an like you I had trouble try to calibrate my first drone but this drone is ready to go out of the box. it’s a really good drone if do buy it, make sure you get dji care Refresh it’ll give ya a bit of reassurance if you do happen to buy it good luck with your decision.. D

any drone will crash ,no matter how many sensors it has ,a $3.000 inspire 2 with a $2.000 camera attached will crash ,if it is not flown properly, it about learning your drones flying characteristics and honing your flying skills learn to fly manually first then you can try the advanced auto modes if you need them

Buy them both.. and if you crash one .. you still have one to fly...

DJI sells great drones.
I have both the Mini and the Air 2.

You already have the Mini so I would say fly that and see if it meets your needs first before upgrading to the ma2.. Why rush?

Bought the mini first had it a few weeks and then sprung for the Air 2.
Haven't regretted it.

Since I have the Air 2 I haven't flown the mini at all. but I'm glad to have it as a backup.
Both are very easy to fly. A lot of options - so Read the Manual and view a lot of youtube videos.

One thing that I didn't like with the mini is that it's light and gives a lot of high wind warnings.
When I fly the Air 2 it handles the wind better. (of course its bigger heavier)

The Air 2 has sensors on the front back and bottom but not sides. so watch flying sideways into things.

Also I have the dji refresh insurance on both. If I crash it I can send it to them to get a replacement.
When you register the drone with DJI it will ask you if you wish to purchase it. It has to be done within 2 days i think.

Others have insured through State Farm personal property insurance and if they crash theirs they just get a new one. No need to turn in the damaged/lost one like DJI refresh makes you.

Thank you guys. I think you've provided confidence at this moment with my MM purchase. It's due to be here on Thursday. Nominally with the Costco deal it was only a little more than $100 more with 2 batteries and the base. I can't see myself flying for more than 40 minutes right now, so $369 was the right price. Of course I'll order some DJI props that don't come with the bundle and have already received a case for the MM, though I'll throw that in a backpack with my landing pad and other stuff.

One other thing that I have on order that I thought could be helpful is a lens/gimbal hood.
Lens hood for MM
As a photographer I know how they minimize lens flare, but also it seems that if the drone takes a crash in foward motion it might help protect the gimbal. Any thoughts about tha?

Thank you guys. I think you've provided confidence at this moment with my MM purchase. It's due to be here on Thursday. Nominally with the Costco deal it was only a little more than $100 more with 2 batteries and the base. I can't see myself flying for more than 40 minutes right now, so $369 was the right price. Of course I'll order some DJI props that don't come with the bundle and have already received a case for the MM, though I'll throw that in a backpack with my landing pad and other stuff.

One other thing that I have on order that I thought could be helpful is a lens/gimbal hood.
Lens hood for MM
As a photographer I know how they minimize lens flare, but also it seems that if the drone takes a crash in foward motion it might help protect the gimbal. Any thoughts about tha?
the hood for me is a good add on it does help with lens flare and it also helps protect the gimbal to a certain extent

the hood for me is a good add on it does help with lens flare and it also helps protect the gimbal to a certain extent
What hood? The gimbal protector? It's meant for protecting the gimbal while transporting - always remember to remove before take of as the gimbal will get stuck.

@DoctorNick if you click on the link you will see what it is it does not stop the gimbal from moving

I’m with OMM,
The vast majority of crashes/incidents reported on here are not technical faults but pilot error. We were all new to aviation once upon a time and most of us will know of occasions where we have pushed the flight envelope but somehow managed to get away with it. I have only been drone flying for over 2 months, but have over 7500 hours as a helicopter crewman. This experience I use whenever I fly.
Now to try to answer your questions!
Mavic Mini,Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2?
Its down to the old Horses for courses each drone brings something different to the party along with associated different costs. The most expensive drone can be mis-handled just as easy as the cheapest because the common denominator is the guy with the sticks in his hands. If he or she are flying outside both of the birds and their own limits Then to be honest it’s a recipe for disaster.
So in short decide what you want to use your bird for, decide how much you want to spend then go for it.
Just take things slow and build your confidence and experience. After each flight ask yourself ....what could I have done better/safer And be honest especially if you have had a close call.
Finally a few...tips
PPPPPP...Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Trees, Wires and Confined spaces are your enemy.
There are Old Pilots. There are Bold Pilots....But there are
NO OLD BOLD PILOTS..
Whatever your options welcome to a great hobby ..one I am convinced you will get a great deal of satisfaction from.

I first bought a couple cheap drones and they were very disappointing. I bought a Mavic Mini and was amazed at the technology. You have to try hard to crash or lose a mini. With some common sense you will have a lot of fun with it. My "save me" Minis are, let go of the sticks in soon to crash scenario and it will hover in place while you gather your wits! Never fly downwind if there is any wind! I have over 100 flights on the Mini and still going strong!

But I did just order a Mavic 2 :)

Also be aware of control signal interferences. The line between the controller and drone must be clear of any obstacles, and Areas with competing WiFi signals will cause video and control disconnects.

If by "charging dock" you mean the glass jar thing, I personally dislike the idea as I would be worred about accidental rough handling damaging the micro USB socket in the drone. I would suggest you look for one of the 3 port battey holders/chargers that come with the flymore kit.
The latter is often available quite cheaply on ebay here due to I assume lost or destroyed Minis. I got one, new, for £35 on Amazon and 2nd hand you can probably get them cheaper than that on ebat etc. if you are prepared to bide your time.
Read up on RTH behaviour & wind and the options concerning what happens if you lose connection.
I'd also suggest practising/experiencing/triggering the various RTH behaviours in a safe and WIDE OPEN area before you encounter them in real like. The "if RTH is triggered within 20m of the home point" behaviour caught me out with a Phantom 3 and I missed the Mini's "being able to halt an RTH climb if the drone is above 20m " thing which would have saved me a great deal of anxiety a few days ago as mine climbed to and descended from 875ft (My fault, though accidental)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get insurance from DJI and if you crash your drone they will replace it the first time for somewhere around $60 but you must have a drone to send in. If you loose it and don't have a drone to return to them they will replace it at a "discount"

I lost my MA2 in a tree. I did not hear nor see the low battery warning so the drone reached critical battery level and automatically landed itself. Once the battery reaches critical level you have no control of the drone. Since it landed over 40 feet above the ground in the tree I could not retrieve it. To make a long story short, DJI sold me a new MA2 with battery and propellers for $581.40 I thought that was a little expensive since the new drone didn't come with the controller, a battery charger, extra joy sticks, or extra propellers that are included with the original purchase for just $217.60 more.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
I’m with OMM,
The vast majority of crashes/incidents reported on here are not technical faults but pilot error. We were all new to aviation once upon a time and most of us will know of occasions where we have pushed the flight envelope but somehow managed to get away with it. I have only been drone flying for over 2 months, but have over 7500 hours as a helicopter crewman. This experience I use whenever I fly.
Now to try to answer your questions!
Mavic Mini,Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2?
Its down to the old Horses for courses each drone brings something different to the party along with associated different costs. The most expensive drone can be mis-handled just as easy as the cheapest because the common denominator is the guy with the sticks in his hands. If he or she are flying outside both of the birds and their own limits Then to be honest it’s a recipe for disaster.
So in short decide what you want to use your bird for, decide how much you want to spend then go for it.
Just take things slow and build your confidence and experience. After each flight ask yourself ....what could I have done better/safer And be honest especially if you have had a close call.
Finally a few...tips
PPPPPP...Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Trees, Wires and Confined spaces are your enemy.
There are Old Pilots. There are Bold Pilots....But there are
NO OLD BOLD PILOTS..
Whatever your options welcome to a great hobby ..one I am convinced you will get a great deal of satisfaction from.

Thanks. I think you (and the others above) have confirmed my suspicion that I'm going with the right drone at the moment. I'm not sure where this will take me. I've been a commericial photographer for 20 years and a general portrait/wedding photographer for 15 prior to that... and actually started off in the profession shooting video for a few years. But I know to do anything commerically I'd have to get a part 107 commercial license before I could even think of doing anything for compensation. That would be a-ways off if ever. I've always been fascinated by flight. And while I've never actually flown a plane or a helo before, I've done simulator training on both. My S.O. actually offered to buy me a real helicopter lesson, but I told her that as much as I'd love it I would want to continue- something I couldn't afford to do. Drone seems to be the next best thing to get that out of my system.

I am hopeful that the drone reinvigorates my desire to take photos and videos from a different perspective. After so many years of "been there/done that" and seeing all the spectacular work that is now easily done digitally, I simply got bored with it and only recently hauled out my DLSR to start making short music videos, now that I'm locked up and no longer able to perform with my regular groups (I play guitar bass and trumpet). I know the drone will get me outside and won't be a problem being in the middle of somewhere alone, now having something to do.

Thanks again for the replies.

Welcome to the forum.

The Mini is an awesome drone in my opinion.
If you need sensors to not crash, you completely missed learning how to have any flying skills at all. The mini handles extremely well, and there should never be any situation where you fly it into an object, or person. Keep your eyes open, don't fly it drunk, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

The Mini is an awesome drone in my opinion.
If you need sensors to not crash, you completely missed learning how to have any flying skills at all. The mini handles extremely well, and there should never be any situation where you fly it into an object, or person. Keep your eyes open, don't fly it drunk, and you'll be fine.
I agree with learning to fly without sensors. That’s why I selected my original drone. Unfortunately it rejected being controlled even at 5 or 10 FEET! Disaster out of the box. Hence I’ve decided to stop being cheap and decided to pay the DJI premium.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69