DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would RADAR interfere?

cheddar-man

Reactions
Having walked this amazing peninsular the other day, when it was very windy 30mph+, I intend to go back again on a still day to video this beautiful headland with my Mini 2.

However, there is a large maritime radar installation on top of a hill near the headland and I'm wondering what interference this might give to the drone?

Anybody any experience of this please???

Maybe just go and do a takeoff, keep low and see what happens???

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 08.00.29.png

Are there any warnings to aircraft for this site? If you tell me where it is I’ll try looking on SkyVector.com and see what the sectional charts say.

Are there any warnings to aircraft for this site? If you tell me where it is I’ll try looking on SkyVector.com and see what the sectional charts say.
While you’re at it, look at the “radar” dome near the Sleeping Bear Dunes at Empire, Michigan. I’ve flown on the beach there several times… no problem. But I don’t know what really is going on in the dome.

Ah, so you're here (well, at least some 650 odd km away) . . .

This is a National Park, and drone flight is banned in Victoria in NPs.

Other than that, a local heliport (2 actually overlapping at the point) but you are still allowed to fly those as per Opensky app / website . . . click the yellow icon exclamation mark > !

Edit - Oh and as far as I can tell this is a really old historical defense site, no current radar installations ?

Reactions: DoomMeister
Having walked this amazing peninsular the other day, when it was very windy 30mph+, I intend to go back again on a still day to video this beautiful headland with my Mini 2.
Looks like you are a long way from home.
The wind should moderate from tomorrow.
However, there is a large maritime radar installation on top of a hill near the headland and I'm wondering what interference this might give to the drone?
What do you mean by a large maritime radar installation?
If it's just a standard radar installation as you'd see fitted to a ship, it won't have any effect on your drone.

Ahh it's what I copied first time around from bing maps lol, maybe their navigator ahd i too many. lol

When I clicked your link, bing maps just defaulted to my home address, must know from the ip I guess.
Well he's not too far a swim from your co-ords anyway 😁

@cheddar-man . . . I should have mentioned, you can certainly fly from just outside the Nat Pk boundary, and fly over the park.
Need to keep the VLOS rule in mind (do you have a strobe to help a little ?), and other drone rules, then no one can prevent you filming some of the area.

Many people will fly in state national parks where flight is prohibited, some are very isolated . . .
I'm not saying go ahead and fly or don't fly there, just that Vic Parks is simply very anti drone and has this policy.
I can understand it in many popular places, where people escape the rat race for a little peace and quiet, but sometimes it makes no sense at all.

Think your son is in Perth, yes ?
Is he over now, or just going to fly over when he can to catch up ?
How long are you there for ? Think it was going to be for some months ?

Last edited:
While you’re at it, look at the “radar” dome near the Sleeping Bear Dunes at Empire, Michigan. I’ve flown on the beach there several times… no problem. But I don’t know what really is going on in the dome.
No warnings about the radomes appear on the sectional. They seem to be referenced only as landmarks for VFR flight. Usually if there are emissions that would affect aircraft it will be noted on the sectional.
Here is an example for the PAVE radar near the Cape Cod Canal.
7CABD1A1-445C-4FDA-B5C2-2E0871C0A3CB.jpeg

Looking at the radar on that radio relay tower, my guess is there is no hazard if you are flying around the beach.
Capture.JPG

ps: and 3 miles from a high point out of the park to the tip of the peninsula, makes the round trip interesting unless it is dead calm.

Looking at the radar on that radio relay tower, my guess is there is no hazard if you are flying around the beach.
Yes ... that's just vessel monitoring radar - no different from the radar on ships.
It won't upset the drone (unless you park the drone close and right in front of it.

No warnings about the radomes appear on the sectional. They seem to be referenced only as landmarks for VFR flight. Usually if there are emissions that would affect aircraft it will be noted on the sectional.
Here is an example for the PAVE radar near the Cape Cod Canal.
View attachment 145015
That map brought back some fond memories as I went to college on Cape Cod at the Maritime academy. I used to sail as chief engineer. I miss the area but not so much this time of year

Reactions: DoomMeister

View attachment 144978
I would say don’t fly there with a Wi-Fi drone. It would probably be ok with the occusync remotes or whatever the thingamawhatsits is called. :D

In NSW, you can apply for permission to fly a drone to take videos in National Parks - I did this recently at Mt Canobolas near Orange. The Rangers were very helpful and processed my application in record time as I hadn't confirmed the dates of my visit until less than a week beforehand. They were even keen to see the video, which I shared with them once edited.

Hopefully the VIC equivalent of National Parks & Wildlife Service is as willing to assist.

View attachment 144978
Dont worry about the Radar, Its not military, just normal shipping. I doubt any effect. The nearest Military installation is at Williamstown some distance away so you are ok in that respect.

This is a Victorian National park and very popular every day. Whilst most people here are ok with Drones, flying in a Victorian National park may get some polite negative reactions. Also, there is a ranger station within that area. Personally I wouldn't fly there. Its a beautiful spot and only about an hours drive away for me. I go to that area quite often, just never flown there. The heli pads are mainly for tourist flights.

How long are you here for ?. Maybe we can meet up

Last edited:
In NSW, you can apply for permission to fly a drone to take videos in National Parks - I did this recently at Mt Canobolas near Orange. The Rangers were very helpful and processed my application in record time as I hadn't confirmed the dates of my visit until less than a week beforehand. They were even keen to see the video, which I shared with them once edited.

Hopefully the VIC equivalent of National Parks & Wildlife Service is as willing to assist.
Sad but I doubt anyone will get a bar out of them, usually totally unwilling to even acknowledge the existence of drones. I have a contact who has been trying to set up meetings with them and Parks Victoria for over a year to work out some kind of framework for drone flying in those areas. Parks Victoria are finally coming to the table with a set of proposals in April, National Parks, nothing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada