DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would Strong Radar Disrupt Signals Or Electronics?

CC Rider

Reactions
I want to film a prominent lighthouse nearby but it is situated near a ground radar station used for the busy shipping lanes out in the Bay and Ocean. Would a shipping radar station cause a problem with the aircraft for any reason I may be overlooking? I'm thinking it would be no different than the ground radar used at all airports where all kinds of things are flying by unaffected. Any cause for alarm?

If I'm not mistaken, there's a certain band in which Radar operates at the same frequency that the Mavic runs on. If thats the case I suppose there would be some interference. Though there is like a dozen bands that Radar can run on.

I did not know that. That's the kind of thing I'd hate to find out literally on the fly. The multichannel nature of radar was something I had not considered either.

Perhaps those signals would actually fly the Mavic in a better flight pattern than the operator. Kinda like a kid with an etch a sketch being able to plot your flight path.

I want to film a prominent lighthouse nearby but it is situated near a ground radar station used for the busy shipping lanes out in the Bay and Ocean. Would a shipping radar station cause a problem with the aircraft for any reason I may be overlooking? I'm thinking it would be no different than the ground radar used at all airports where all kinds of things are flying by unaffected. Any cause for alarm?
Hi there! Most probably Radar being used on shores like Vessel Traffic System were the same used by the ships. As for my experience, Radar signals strongly interferes with drone flying capabilities especially when it gets near the scanner. A 500 meters distance would be safe I think.

I have a feeling I may have had RADAR interference on a recent flight, near a coastguard station, but I would have thought far enough away... First sign of trouble was the video on the tablet went to about 1/4 screen and turned upside down, then the gimbal started shaking and pointing upwards... was crazy.. I landed, took the A/C home and re-calibrated everything. Test flight went smooth as, so I wonder if it was interference from that station.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+