DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a refurb?

Would you buy a refurbished Mavic?

• Total voters

markyodo

Reactions
I was just getting ready to purchase a Mavic (new) and a friend has offered to sell his Mavic.
He is getting it back this week from DJI Refresh after a crash, cracked the joint on one of the arms and bent the gimble.
I'm not sure if I would want a refurb, or if the DJI insurance would still be valid after he sells it as a refurb.
I'm all about saving a few $$ but want peace of mind also. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on warranty. Find out if warranty is transferable. If not,... Would this friend help you out if you needed to send it in again. And of course how much savings you actually get. If your friend or warranty is still good and he saves you 50%,....Go for it. If he is only going to save you a hundred or two,.....Go for peace of mind.

Reactions: markyodo
Depends on warranty. Find out if warranty is transferable. If not,... Would this friend help you out if you needed to send it in again. And of course how much savings you actually get. If your friend or warranty is still good and he saves you 50%,....Go for it. If he is only going to save you a hundred or two,.....Go for peace of mind.
Care refresh is transferable, but make sure the saving are worth it, you can buy a new mavic (w/o rc) for $749 bear that in mind.

Also Thunder drones (a Gentleman who posts here) has bought many refurbs without issue, kind of a double edged sword. If I could get the referb drone and rc for six hundred I might do it, five hundred I would.

He wants to sell the fly more package.
I had read somewhere that the refresh package is terminated if there was a replacement and not a repair and the product warranty is not the same for a refurb as it is for a new purchase.
So this get's a bit confusing.

I had read somewhere that the refresh package is terminated if there was a replacement and not a repair and the product warranty is not the same for a refurb as it is for a new purchase.
the refresh warrenty will replace a damaged unit twice, if he has used it once there should be a second refub for $170 ($90 for the first time.)

It would help if you mentioned how much he wants for it. The Refresh package is NOT terminated if there was a replacement not a repair. See Bunnys post #3. You get 2 refreshes and then it is void, or after 1 year has expired. The first Refresh cost him $79, the second will cost you $129 if you need to send it in.

If I were buying your friends Mavic, I would ask him for a copy of the original Refresh contract, a copy of the repair on the first refesh, and then I would chat with DJI to make sure you still have 1 Refresh left. After I bought it I would get a drone insurance policy in case of total loss.

As Bunny has mentioned, I have bought and sold dozens of refurbed DJI products and never got a bad one.

Care refresh is transferable, but make sure the saving are worth it, you can buy a new mavic (w/o rc) for $749 bear that in mind.
From DJI Terms of Service
Ⅷ.Return and Transfer of DJI Care Refresh

1) DJI Care Refresh can be cancelled upon return of the product purchased, according to DJI refund policies.
2) DJI Care Refresh cannot be cancelled without returning the product purchased.
3) DJI Care Refresh cannot be transferred after purchase.

Edit. This post gives the wrong impression...see post #9 below.

Last edited:
3) DJI Care Refresh cannot be transferred after purchase.

Refresh is bound to the serial number of the drone. The contract name is not transferable to another person, but if someone buys your Mavic, they are covered under your Refresh. All a seller needs to do is give the buyer the contract number and DJI will honor the Refresh for the new buyer.

From DJI's website:

DJI Refresh transfer_002.jpg

Interesting information being passed. I'm sure it's been covered dozens of times already but it's still very helpful.
So now that it's been mentioned that the service plan is tied to the SN of the drone, I wonder what happens when a replacement is sent with a different SN? I would assume DJI handles that paperwork (switching the contracts SN) on the back end before shipping the replacement.

Refresh is bound to the serial number of the drone. The contract name is not transferable to another person, but if someone buys your Mavic, they are covered under your Refresh. All a seller needs to do is give the buyer the contract number and DJI will honor the Refresh for the new buyer.

From DJI's website:

View attachment 10633
Thanks for clearing that up..... I'll edit my post.

Interesting information being passed. I'm sure it's been covered dozens of times already but it's still very helpful.
So now that it's been mentioned that the service plan is tied to the SN of the drone, I wonder what happens when a replacement is sent with a different SN? I would assume DJI handles that paperwork (switching the contracts SN) on the back end before shipping the replacement.

Yes they handle the paperwork switching the S/N on the replacement bird, but if you send in a bird for Refresh, dont be surprised if they ask you 2 or 3 times for your contract number and then send you a bill for the repairs even though you have refresh. You just have to be polite. and persistent with them to make sure they fix it for just the Refresh fee.

I've never had issues with refurb purchases in the past when it comes to electronics. I don't see why not with the Mavic as long as there is warranty still on the bird.

Just check it out before you buy it, have him fly it around, take some sample video and have him give it to you. check it out for any blur on the left or right side of the screen. Check the gimble for any hair line cracks. Just check it over really good.

I was going to buy a p4 refurbished from DJI but decided to just buy mavic fly more. I don't think I would buy one from a person that I didn't know but if you know the person and it's coming back from DJI then I would consider it all depends on the price. If it's coming back from DJI it's a refurbished bird already.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000