DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly in these winds at 250 feet or lower with the Mavic

GavieboyDji

Reactions
Would you fly in these winds at 250 or lower I'm supposed to be getting photos for a mate and they was supposed to be done weeks ago but with the English winds we just keep getting battered by wind after wind. I'm experienced with high winds and know the protocol when the bird can't handle them. The highest wind storm I've flown in is 15mph and God knows what the gust was.

I think I'll leave it and just wait and ride these storms out.

What's the worst winds everyone else taken there Mavic into. Screenshot_20181219-193309_UAV%20Forecast.jpeg

Probably not as those gusts are predicted to be above the Max speed of most models of Mavics.

Just being reading this on another post where the guy took off thinking there was no wind and eventually his Mavic was being blown away in 50mph winds

When you get trade winds blowing over steep islands you get a phenomenon sailors call bullets which results in very strong localised gusts rushing through valleys.
Bullets can be much stronger than the local winds away from the hills and valleys.
For a technical explanation
Weather by Malcolm Reilly - Bullets

No

I have flown one of my drones in winds of 25+ in Chicago, by accident, and it is rough on the drone and battery

Reactions: GavieboyDji
I mean hard core!

Obviously I totally agree that its safer, easier, better to just call it a day. But, if the question is... can it fly in this wind my personal opinion/experience would be a cautious yes... I've flown both fixed wing and quads at 17mph+ without issue. Don't get me wrong... its not fun and its risky so I always made sure I flew well away of any people or property. It was actually during the early years of the hobby when I'd rather fly in the rain and the cold than not fly :) These days I'll join you guys for a pint instead!

Gusts of 40 will be brutal but if its just gusts the drone will survive. Not sure if you'll be having fun or if the footage will be any good though :)

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Thanks everybody for the newbie tips and your experiences on flying and filming in windy type conditions.Much appreciated.

the problem with gust forecasts is that we don't know the duration, or frequency of the gust. Trying to make that determination at ground level is not reliable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121