DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you recharge batteries at 40 percent ?

aokusman

Reactions
Seems when I fly I dont use up the whole battery. I always like to have like 30 to 40 percent left before landing. Is this bad for the batteries ?

Ending you flights with 30%+ remaining isn't a bad thing at all -- using less of the charge of the battery will tend to increase the lifespan of the pack and if the battery is, say, 30% to 60% after a flight you can comfortably leave them that way for longer term storage -- when the battery gets down closer to 20% you should charge to about 50% for storage.

Brian

Reactions: Alex 007 and Ken.
It's not memory problems that's the problem -- swelling and dendrites are!

Brian
Understood, but isn’t that more to do with what happens if you try to keep the batteries fully charged all the time? The OP’s question was about how low to go before recharging.

If your flying within a couple of days no need to charge until close to when you fly. Bringing them up to 40-50% provides good insurance for longer storage however shorter periods below 40% will not prove to be of any detriment.

It's not memory problems that's the problem -- swelling and dendrites are!

Brian
Swelling isn’t an issue unless you let the battery discharge very low and you won’t get any dendrites- they are a potential problem for lithium metal cells (not LiION) and if memory serves correctly develop during the charge cycle (to high a rate).

Reactions: RonW
as stated in another post the trick is not to let them get very low ,and at the other end of the scale store them fully charged for long periods ,DJI have tried to prevent this by having a self discharge program installed in the battery control module they will come to no harm left at between 30 to 40% for a few days till your next flight ,i have my first low battery warning set at 40% and aim to be on the ground shortly after it activates after it has cooled down and recovered i mostly then have one solid and one flashing light showing on the battery ,sometimes even two solid lights ,and it stays like that till i then charge them up the evening before in intend to fly

On the AirData site, it's tell's you to deep cycle the batteries every 20 hours. To bring them down to 7 - 8%. Let them cool and charge to full again.
Is this a good idea? That is bringing them down pretty low.
On a normal flight, I bring mine down to 25 - 30 %. Let it cool well then charge it up to 50-60%. Then I move on to my next battery.

i personally do not do the deep cycle discharge and have never had any issues ,and i believe that DJI dont bother with it now any more its purely a personal choice i guess

On the AirData site, it's tell's you to deep cycle the batteries every 20 hours. To bring them down to 7 - 8%. Let them cool and charge to full again.
Is this a good idea? That is bringing them down pretty low.
On a normal flight, I bring mine down to 25 - 30 %. Let it cool well then charge it up to 50-60%. Then I move on to my next battery.
The DJI Air 2 Manual advises the following, if you have not seen a pdf copy yet: “Do not charge an Intelligent Flight Battery immediately after flight as the temperature may be too high. Wait until it cools down to room temperature before charging again.
The charger stops charging the battery if the battery cell temperature is not within the operating range of 41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C). The ideal charging temperature is 71.6° to 82.4° F (22° to 28° C).
The Battery Charging Hub (not included) can charge up to three batteries. Visit the official DJI Online Store to learn more.
Fully charge the battery at least once every three months to maintain battery health.
DJI does not take any responsibility for damage caused by third-party chargers.
It is recommended to discharge the Intelligent Flight Batteries to 30% or lower. This can be done by flying the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 30% charge left.” Cheers

Reactions: rconradvt
I charge them at 60 or 80 due the the auto discharge never heard it was bad.

i personally do not do the deep cycle discharge and have never had any issues ,and i believe that DJI dont bother with it now any more its purely a personal choice i guess
Sounds like it may be better to not do it? This is what the AirData states:

When you deep cycle the battery, it also re-initializes the battery's internal software. Always allow a LiPo battery to cool completely before any recharge to help protect your battery and extend its life.

It's also a bit of a pain to do.

Reactions: old man mavic
as stated in another post the trick is not to let them get very low ,and at the other end of the scale store them fully charged for long periods ,DJI have tried to prevent this by having a self discharge program installed in the battery control module they will come to no harm left at between 30 to 40% for a few days till your next flight ,i have my first low battery warning set at 40% and aim to be on the ground shortly after it activates after it has cooled down and recovered i mostly then have one solid and one flashing light showing on the battery ,sometimes even two solid lights ,and it stays like that till i then charge them up the evening before in intend to fly
GREAT Advice!

The DJI Air 2 Manual advises the following, if you have not seen a pdf copy yet: “Do not charge an Intelligent Flight Battery immediately after flight as the temperature may be too high. Wait until it cools down to room temperature before charging again.
The charger stops charging the battery if the battery cell temperature is not within the operating range of 41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C). The ideal charging temperature is 71.6° to 82.4° F (22° to 28° C).
The Battery Charging Hub (not included) can charge up to three batteries. Visit the official DJI Online Store to learn more.
Fully charge the battery at least once every three months to maintain battery health.
DJI does not take any responsibility for damage caused by third-party chargers.
It is recommended to discharge the Intelligent Flight Batteries to 30% or lower. This can be done by flying the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 30% charge left.” Cheers
I like to use the battery to charge my phone to get the battery level below the 30 % instead of flying the drone down to 30%.

i prefer to do it that way because the weather in the UK is very unpredictable most of the time ,and after a days flying i never know when it will be ok to fly again
so at the level i have left in my batteries i know i can safely store them for some time ,till i next get the chance to fly again,this way i havent got to bother putting a small charge in them at the end of the flying day ,i have 4 batteries for both my drones and am quite happy with the 15 to 20 minutes per flight i get from them that is plenty of air time for me ,what different people do with their own drones is their choice, i have had no issues with my batteries in many many flights

Reactions: RonW
i prefer to do it that way because the weather in the UK is very unpredictable most of the time ,and after a days flying i never know when it will be ok to fly again
so at the level i have left in my batteries i know i can safely store them for some time ,till i next get the chance to fly again,this way i havent got to bother putting a small charge in them at the end of the flying day ,i have 4 batteries for both my drones and am quite happy with the 15 to 20 minutes per flight i get from them that is plenty of air time for me ,what different people do with their own drones is their choice, i have had no issues with my batteries in many many flights
That makes sense. I normally set a timer for 20 minuets and that amount of time seems to bring them back to 50-60%. But, you have to charge them twice each time. Bring them up to storage level. Then again to full when you want to use them.

Maybe your way is less wear and tear on them?

Reactions: old man mavic
That makes sense. I normally set a timer for 20 minuets and that amount of time seems to bring them back to 50-60%. But, you have to charge them twice each time. Bring them up to storage level. Then again to full when you want to use them.

Maybe your way is less wear and tear on them?
its really down to you what methods you use ,the two best ways to shorten battery life expectancy are to long fully charged ,or to long at a very low voltage ,short periods will not be so damaging ,i tend to charge mine the evening before a flying day ,and if the weather or circumstances change during the flight day and i know that i will not be flying the next day then i just discharge the ones i have not used to a safe level

Reactions: Jetdriver100

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio