DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WOW!! Drone “Warranty” that covers crashes during 1st year.

JMTremblay

Reactions
Found that there is a relatively new drone that flies autonomously and when flown according to specific manufacturer requirements the drone is supposed to be virtually impossible to crash.

This may help many of us who have crashed our drones and are looking for a drone that is more robust.

Can’t say the name of the drone because the moderators of this site will shut down this thread because they want to protect DJI products.

So to find out do a google search for “autonomous drone with crash proof warranty”

Maybe DJI will see this type of technology at less than $1k and make some changes to the Mavic Pro 3

I have had my Mavic Pro Plat… snapped its arm during minor crash. Up until now DJI has had a good product. But as the leader in the industry they have forced us all into higher product prices much greater profit margins for DJI without giving us major product enhancements.

I wish I had done a web search for drone crashes to learn how fragile the MAVIC folding arms are. It is nice to have a drone that folds up but the tradeoff was much greater fragility as many of us have learned.

Good to see the industry is offering us new cost effective products.

Found that there is a relatively new drone that flies autonomously and when flown according to specific manufacturer requirements the drone is supposed to be virtually impossible to crash.

This may help many of us who have crashed our drones and are looking for a drone that is more robust.

Can’t say the name of the drone because the moderators of this site will shut down this thread because they want to protect DJI products.

So to find out do a google search for “autonomous drone with crash proof warranty”

Maybe DJI will see this type of technology at less than $1k and make some changes to the Mavic Pro 3

I have had my Mavic Pro Plat… snapped its arm during minor crash. Up until now DJI has had a good product. But as the leader in the industry they have forced us all into higher product prices much greater profit margins for DJI without giving us major product enhancements.

I wish I had done a web search for drone crashes to learn how fragile the MAVIC folding arms are. It is nice to have a drone that folds up but the tradeoff was much greater fragility as many of us have learned.

its ok you can say skydio they even have their own forum so post it on there they might appreciate it more

Why?......This site/forums has nothing to do with DJI.
No affiliation/association or contractual obligations with the Chinese company.

It is a privately owned site.

Other products can be freely discussed. While anyone might have a bias, and for valid reasons, the forum does not restrict discussion on any product for drones.

Now you have wrote 8 messages and everyone is just for talk bull about DJI, don’t you have a life? I don’t think anybody here appreciate that so please stop!

There is no reason that you cannot mention Skydio here. However, I would caution anyone (especially new pilots) against thinking that the SKydio 2 is crash proof (there is not such thing) or that the warranty will cover you in any crash situation. Have you read the warranty? If you have not done so, I would recommend reading the entire terms and conditions HERE before taking anything for granted. In particular I would point you to:
  • The terms state that the product is not for resale so if you purchase one used, the warranty is not transferable.
    That's a problem since many of us do buy and sell used drones.
  • The terms state that the product is for non-commercial use only. If you use it in a commercial aspect or perhaps even just register it under Part 107, it may invalidate the warranty.
    This makes no sense at all. If the drone is being used properly and safely, why not cover it for commercial usage also?
  • The warranty is limited to 1 year from date of sale. If you crash it after one year, there is no warranty replacement.
    Yes I agree that there needs to be some end-of-life criteria, but if the drone is still in its life-cycle then why limit the crash protection warranty at 1 year?
  • The warranty applies only in the country of original delivery. If you purchase it in the USA and travel to Canada, any crashes there are not covered.
    Don't we all like to take or drones on vacations? Why limit the warranty in such cases?
  • If the drone is modified or repaired by any facility not approved by Skydio, the warranty is immediately terminated.
    This does make sense, however here in the USA I don't think it is quite legal or enforceable.
  • A big catch-all is that the warranty does not apply to damage due to use, handling, storage, installation, or testing not in accordance with the Safety and Operating Guide.
    OK maybe this makes sense depending on what those guidelines are. However I could not find those guidelines anywhere! Seems like we need to follow guidelines that don't exist.
  • Failure to update the software in a timely manner can be a cause for a denied claim.
    What is a "timely manner" ? A week? A month? 6 months?
  • Not using an authentic OEM Skydio battery or charger can be cause for not honoring a claim.
    Certainly makes sense for the battery. Less so for the charger but I see their point.
  • Flying in bad weather (rain, dust storm, or strong wind, etc) or in inadequate lighting can be cause for a denied claim.
    Again this goes back to the guidelines. If they are reasonable then this makes sense.
So I think it comes down to what those guidelines are. I would think that you still can't do anything that will cause issues for the sensors on our Mavic drones. For instance, flying in low light, flying close to a body of fairly still water, flying near power lines or thin branches, flying at highly reflective surfaces like glass buildings, etc...

I do applaud Skydio for an incredible piece of technology with autonomous modes that have not been seen on any DJI drone yet. The carsh replacement warranty is wonderful, BUT every Skydio pilot needs to be aware of the limitations and exclusions. It can crash, it will crash, and many of those crashes will not be covered. In the end we all need to be aware of our surroundings and be safe pilots.

Actually the arms being able to fold has helped resist damage, especially the front ones that fold back. Folding back absorbs impact.
I agree folding back will absorb shock but only in 1 plane. I guess many of us were not lucky enough to be able to hit on that plane.

Reactions: Gindra
Not all that different from the DJI warranty

Regarding the commercial aspect: Skido seems to be marketed with commercial application.

USA does permit restrictions on repairs and modifications. DJI not only restricts authorized repair centers (only them in US) but authorized sellers as well (grey area).
What it doesn't permit is denying warranty on issues unrelated to use of third party consumables and accessories. Example: you use a third party prop and the OEM battery died causing a crash. Crash was not caused by prop in any way so warranty coverage can't be denied on that basis.

Dude, as suggested above, you should migrate over to the Skydio forum. There are plenty of posts here about that new platform, and really unnecessary for you to keep posting continuously about it like your some wise insider that’s telling use something we don’t know.
Your skills obviously let you down when flying the mavic, so maybe something more autonomous is ideal for you as it will negate the need for you touching the control sticks and you new drone may last a little longer :p

Skydio is just a different drone vs DJI consumer drones.
It's more of an adventure drone for consumers.

But I saw a thread on this forum yesterday re warehouse stock monitoring etc, and they are using Skydio.
So it certainly seems to be very verstile in how it can be configured.

Where motor vehicles and drones will be in a few years will be quite astounding.

Watching the videos of this drone in action, the obstacle avoidance is far better than anything else available now. It does seem nearly impossible to crash. The warranty that they offer shows that they have great confidence in the design and you don't have to pay extra for the warranty.
DJI has a huge list of disclaimers in their warranty as do all other drone manufacturers. As best I can find, it only covers manufacturing or material defects. Crashes are specifically excluded. Camera/gimbal and batteries are only covered for 6 months.
Time will tell if this new company can really deliver on their promises. I certainly hope so. it will put pressure on DJI and others to do better.

Skydio 2 has lots of sensors and positioning cameras like a Tesla car.
(Mind you, Youtube has quite a lot of vids of Tesla road mishaps with autopilot etc.)

If the original Skydio popularity is anything to go by, this much improved version will be quite successful in its field.
As well as the automated uses in my post 13 link above.

Skydio is just a different drone vs DJI consumer drones.
It's more of an adventure drone for consumers.

But I saw a thread on this forum yesterday re warehouse stock monitoring etc, and they are using Skydio.
So it certainly seems to be very verstile in how it can be configured.

Where motor vehicles and drones will be in a few years will be quite astounding.
Crap, theres goes my job.....unemployment time....

Note that Skydio only has 6 navigation cameras, and I think that includes downward cameras. M2 has 8. However Skydio has them strategically placed with computing power and software specifically for it.
Note that remote and beacon are an extra $150 each and uses enhanced Wi-Fi.

It's a different niche drone than what DJI focuses on so it may be a challenge to truly compare. We'll see when it's in everyone's hands.

Note that Skydio only has 6 navigation cameras, and I think that includes downward cameras. M2 has 8. However Skydio has them strategically placed with computing power and software specifically for it.
Note that remote and beacon are an extra $150 each and uses enhanced Wi-Fi.

It's a different niche drone than what DJI focuses on so it may be a challenge to truly compare. We'll see when it's in everyone's hands.
for me the Skydio package has a fundamentally different approach to the use that purchasers will put it to as apposed to the dji mavic range of drones.
as@ DanMan32 said its capabilities fulfill a different market segment, it has been primarily produced to be an automannous flying camera to follow moving objects at various speeds while avoiding obstacles , for me as a 72 year old man, with a,heart condition, i would not be able to do the things that sports orientated healthy people do,but to be able to stand or sit on occasions and fly my MPP is something i can do, there is a place for all types of drones, no matter where they are made or what purpose they serve

for me the Skydio package has a fundamentally different approach to the use that purchasers will put it to as apposed to the dji mavic range of drones.
as@ DanMan32 said its capabilities fulfill a different market segment, it has been primarily produced to be an automannous flying camera to follow moving objects at various speeds while avoiding obstacles , for me as a 72 year old man, with a,heart condition, i would not be able to do the things that sports orientated healthy people do,but to be able to stand or sit on occasions and fly my MPP is something i can do, there is a place for all types of drones, no matter where they are made or what purpose they serve
The Skydio R1 was kind of a one trick pony, great at tracking and avoiding obstacles, but not so much as an aerial photography platform. The Skydio 2 is even better at tracking, following and avoiding obstacles but also appears to be a great AP platform. It even has 4K at 60 fps which none of the Mavics do. It has 13 stops of DR and the camera can look up 45 degrees with no props or prop shadows in view ever. Even if you never use the beacon to follow high speed sports, you can still fly it with the remote like any other drone with the added benefit of full time, 360 degree, bombproof obstacle avoidance.
Once these are in the hands of users we will certainly see lots of side by side comparisons with the Mavics. I expect the M2P to excel in low light, flight time and range. The Skydio 2 will perform better in tracking, following and OA. In other areas, I expect them to be very close.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54