DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

X-ray capabilities

Xircios

Reactions
So, I own a Mavic Pro, Osmo Pocket and a Nintendo Switch. I store my Mavic Pro in a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 25i and I put that inside my Lowepro Backpack. My Nintendo Switch and Osmo Pocket just go in the backpack by themselves.

The story goes like this. I am going through US Customs at San Fransisco and there is a sign that tells me to bring out any devices bigger than a mobile phone. "Oh, they want me to bring out things like laptops and tablets." So I took my laptop out and put it on a tray. My bag goes through the X-ray thingo (is it an X-ray machine, anyway, you know the one) and a customs guy grabs it and ask's whose bag this is. "(In my mind) Don't take my precious drone". He is actually extremely kind and asks if I have a Nintendo switch in there, I reply with yes and he replies that they are a popular item and asked if I saw the sign. I apologize and he says it's all good. He puts my bag through the machine again and he grabs it again and asks if there is anything else in there cause he saw another item. It was my brother's switch that was in my bag that I totally forgot about. Anyway, kinda off topic but after this. He puts the bag through one more time and voila, I get my bag back and continue on my trip.

My question is, if they cared so much about a Nintendo switch which they recognised through my bag and asked if I had one. How did they not notice my Mavic? Did they not care about it or can multiple layers of camera bag block X-rays? I don't think it can block them (Is it an X-ray?).

I understand this is extremely poorly written but I think it gets the story across.

Thanks,
Xircios

How did they not notice my Mavic? Did they not care about it or can multiple layers of camera bag block X-rays? I don't think it can block them (Is it an X-ray?).
Yes, it's an X-ray.
No, your bag doesn't block it (unless your bag is made of lead foil).

Next time have a look at the X-ray screen and you'll see it highlights different items in different colours.
People's bags contain all sorts of items but they are only looking for certain kinds of items.
There was nothing about the Mavic that alarms them.

So, I own a Mavic Pro, Osmo Pocket and a Nintendo Switch. I store my Mavic Pro in a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 25i and I put that inside my Lowepro Backpack. My Nintendo Switch and Osmo Pocket just go in the backpack by themselves.

The story goes like this. I am going through US Customs at San Fransisco and there is a sign that tells me to bring out any devices bigger than a mobile phone. "Oh, they want me to bring out things like laptops and tablets." So I took my laptop out and put it on a tray. My bag goes through the X-ray thingo (is it an X-ray machine, anyway, you know the one) and a customs guy grabs it and ask's whose bag this is. "(In my mind) Don't take my precious drone". He is actually extremely kind and asks if I have a Nintendo switch in there, I reply with yes and he replies that they are a popular item and asked if I saw the sign. I apologize and he says it's all good. He puts my bag through the machine again and he grabs it again and asks if there is anything else in there cause he saw another item. It was my brother's switch that was in my bag that I totally forgot about. Anyway, kinda off topic but after this. He puts the bag through one more time and voila, I get my bag back and continue on my trip.

My question is, if they cared so much about a Nintendo switch which they recognised through my bag and asked if I had one. How did they not notice my Mavic? Did they not care about it or can multiple layers of camera bag block X-rays? I don't think it can block them (Is it an X-ray?).

I understand this is extremely poorly written but I think it gets the story across.

Thanks,
Xircios

Typically you really only need to pull the batteries out. I bet you the mother board of the mavic as small as some larger phones hence why they didn’t care. I typically tell them “drone with big batteries coming through. Batteries are out, drone is in.” Never once had them say anything about it though they were all over 6 oz can of shaving cream lol.

Yes, it's an X-ray.
No, your bag doesn't block it (unless your bag is made of lead foil).

Next time have a look at the X-ray screen and you'll see it highlights different items in different colours.
People's bags contain all sorts of items but they are only looking for certain kinds of items.
There was nothing about the Mavic that alarms them.
I understand this but when I went though 2 small regional airports in Canada, they got me to pull it out and turn it on.

I understand this but when I went though 2 small regional airports in Canada, they got me to pull it out and turn it on.
Different people at different airports will have different interests.
If it's something they've never seen, they are more likely to show interest.
But if they see them every day .....

Reactions: brett8883
Ok, Thanks everyone. It was just something that was pondering on my mind for a few months and I thought to post about it.

Thanks you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake