DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

xiaomi x8 drone, How does it compare to the Mavic?

laurens23

Reactions
Before getting a MPP I had the Xiaomi mi drone and was very impressed.
The MPP I have now is defensively better, but was also twice as expensive.
Now Xiaomi is coming out with a new, fordable drone, the x8.
  • $400
  • 5km range
  • 4K, 100Mbps Video
  • 33 min flight time
  • I also like the controller design.
Would this be an upgrade from a Mavic Pro (Platinum)? Maybe something between the Mavic I and Mavic II?

What do you guys think? Xiaomi's New FIMI X8 SE Foldable Drone - FilterGrade

fimi-x8-se-drone-xiaomi-700x450.jpg

X8_9.jpg

I am also very impressed with this new drone from Fimi. The $400 dollars price tag is temporary and after January 15th it will cost $500. This is more a direct competitor to the Mavic Air.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Looks interesting. Seems they are out of stock, so they either made limited number, or there's a high demand. I guess it'll now depend on software, how well it works and bug-free it is. And also what software features it has.
It's funny that their photos includes iPhone and iPad, instead of a xiaomi smartphone and tablet. Another drone made for iOS in mind first?

Looks interesting. Seems they are out of stock, so they either made limited number, or there's a high demand. I guess it'll now depend on software, how well it works and bug-free it is. And also what software features it has.
It's funny that their photos includes iPhone and iPad, instead of a xiaomi smartphone and tablet. Another drone made for iOS in mind first?

they have a good shot at it. they got the lessons learned from their previous Mi drone.
Unfortunately and strangely it's not available in China (their Mi drone was officially only available in China). I would really like to pick one up and see how it holds up.

I need it like a toothache because I have enough drones already, but I ordered one from Bg. May come by July or never, who knows. I mostly have to see how advanced it is both from my Mi4k which is really a cool drone with quite a camera, and my Mavic zoom. I guess money is no object when it comes to new toys. Lets everybody just get one!

Considering it's a Mi drone, it's going to have problems and you're going to have to suck it up because it was cheap. This is probably the same story, and their issues were far more teeth-gritting than any we faced since the P3.

Also, I could get a refurb Mavic Pro for $120 more and not worry about battery support or part support. Worth it to me to stick with DJI, though that MI would be fun at like $250-300

I did a quick look up. it has this sensor:
Sony IMX378: Comprehensive Breakdown of the Google Pixel's Sensor and its Features

which was featured on the original pixel over 2 years ago. The sensor is less than 1/3 the size of the Mavic 2. Obviously raw sensor size isn't the only thing that defines picture quality, but 2/3 has to make a difference.

If you ask me this is aimed at the spark, and on that comparison it's very competitive

The IMX378 is actually a better sensor than the Mavic Pro's IMX377, in that it can support higher bitrates. Probably the same one in the Mavic Air.

This is not a Mavic 2 competitor, so no need to compare it.

Reactions: cochitiman
I could get a refurb Mavic Pro for $120 more and not worry about battery support or part support. Worth it to me to stick with DJI, though that MI would be fun at like $250-300

they have one at that price too.
The FiMi A3 is $280 and seems to aim at the DJI Spark (both non fordable, but the)
The FiMi X8 seems to bring the good things from the Mavic Air and the Pro (gamera + flight time + range) but likely lless overall quality.
The Mavic 2 is far ahead in both quality and price.

Considering it's a Mi drone, it's going to have problems and you're going to have to suck it up because it was cheap. This is probably the same story, and their issues were far more teeth-gritting than any we faced since the P3.

yes and no. their Mi 4K was a very good/competitive drone for the price. flew it for a year and got some great results. support in China was also fine, they help with individual firmware updates and listen to the community for improvements. they should have learned a lot from it. However support outside China was nonexistent at the time.

After a year I lost my Mi4K mainly due to battery failure over water, but an X8 seems like a nice affordable backup to a MPP.

Reactions: cochitiman
In that availability is a big question as of yet, if I see mine has shipped, I will post that info. It looks like it could be sometime fer sure before that happens and if!

Reactions: laurens23
The best price i can see is 499 preorder. No discounts available i assume due to new product or preorder price is already discounted enough. Even BG new customer coupon will not work

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929