DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi antenna on controller

360 Guy

Reactions
Hello gentlemen,
A small question: By looking at the two pictures, will this enhance the performance of the Mini 2?
The Yagi antenna is for my Mavic Mini and I'd like to incorporate them to the Mini 2.
I have the antennas mounted on top with Velcro. (easy on and off)
I haven't test flown, I just want to get opinions first.
Antennas are mounted sideways as apposed to that of the MM.
What do you all think?

TIAANTENNA  1.jpgANTENNA  2.jpg

A VNA will answer your question. That's about the only way to know for sure. Or, try controlling your drone at 10km or where ever it was dropping out before, see if it improves.

The flip side, if the antenna is actually working, is the angle of the controller will become much more important: you'll really need to ensure the yagis are pointed at the drone, not off by a few degrees.

All that aside, the way the yagis are designed and how they are mounted to your controller, my guess is they are doing absolutely nothing for you but losing signal.

Have a look at this antenna: the driven element is part of the antenna - the reflector and directors are in-line with the driven element. They also need to be properly spaced to work.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I also just happened by this video, which shows an antenna designed for the Mavic 2 controller. It goes into useful detail and may better explain why your setup isn't helping you.

ps: as stated in the video, you also need to ensure the antenna and frequencies used are matched. A 5.5Ghz antenna does little for 5.8GHz.

Last edited:
...Antennas are mounted sideways as apposed to that of the MM.
What do you all think?
...how they are mounted to your controller, my guess is they are doing absolutely nothing for you but losing signal.
Yeah ... that will not work at all, the Yagi-Uda extenders are pointed totally wrong. They should be in line with the ordinary transmission direction ... now they are 90 degrees away from that. Further more the first & longest metal pin is the reflector & must be behind the RC antenna & the rest of the pins needs to be in front of the antenna as they directs the radio wave.

Hey there! Is it true that one antenna of the controller is for 2.4 GHz and the other is for 5 GHz? I also read on the net something else, that one antenna is for TX only, the other one RX only. I really doubt but still have to ask. Here's my 2.4GHz 3D printed yagi.

IMG_20220213_102516.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme