DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw/Gimbal Jerk - DJI FIXED IT! Ron Howard and Martin Scorsese called and said they are pleased!

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE... BACKUP THE MOUSE! LOOK BELOW THE ORIGINAL POST.

I can't believe that DJI fixed an issue for an old drone like the MP/MPP's. Maybe this affects other drones, but I can only speak for the MPP.

Tests I've conducted today indicate that DJI has fixed the jerk caused by a Yaw and Gimbal combined action. This problem was housed in the GO 4 app. I believe it was fixed with the 4.3.28 and/or 4.3.29 updates to the App 2 months ago. I still had the jerk last October during the filming of Odyssey, but I cannot detect it today, in both P and Sport modes.

If you not familiar with this problem, it occurred during a yaw movement combined with a change in pitch of the gimbal. When the pitch change was stopped, the jerk would occur. Messed up all kinds of video shots.

I sure hope I'm correct about this. It needs independent verification.

Here's how it used to look....

EDIT EDIT EDIT: HOLD THE PRESSES! DUE TO THE INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION BY @brett8883, I DID FURTHER TESTING.
I was wrong, @brett8883 is correct, it is not fixed, and Ron Howard has fired me from his next movie.

HOWEVER, THERE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES...

I have my parameters set for a p-mode Yaw rate of 10. At that rate, there is still a jerk in the video but it is far less than a setting of 50. Although it IS in the video, it was hard to see in the flight, so that's where I got all excited and thought it was fixed. And these observation were made with the Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow both on and off.

Now here something I did not know and needs further independent verification. I cannot produce the jerk with Sport mode on. My default yaw rate is 50, so I set it to 10 for another test. In both cases, I could not observe any kind of substantive jerk in the flight and video. Obviously a rate set at 10 is much smoother than 50. For me, Sport mode is not the answer to solve the problem. I need slower rates of forward and yaw speeds for good videos. And Sport is used solely to get out of bad wind situations, so I don't want to compromise my Sport mode.

Here are my settings...
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.15.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Haven't tried that yet- thanks for the info.

How is Opie?

I can't believe that DJI fixed an issue for an old drone like the MP/MPP's. Maybe this affects other drones, but I can only speak for the MPP.

Tests I've conducted today indicate that DJI has fixed the jerk caused by a Yaw and Gimbal combined action. This problem was housed in the GO 4 app. I believe it was fixed with the 4.3.28 and/or 4.3.29 updates to the App 2 months ago. I still had the jerk last October during the filming of Odyssey, but I cannot detect it today, in both P and Sport modes.

If you not familiar with this problem, it occurred during a yaw movement combined with a change in pitch of the gimbal. When the pitch change was stopped, the jerk would occur. Messed up all kinds of video shots.

I sure hope I'm correct about this. It needs independent verification.

Here's how it used to look....
Still present on mine. Note issue determined to be only on iOS versions of the app.

Turning off yaw synchronized follow seems to help to a degree. Check to see if you had that turned off.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Still present on mine. Note issue determined to be only on iOS versions of the app.

Turning off yaw synchronized follow seems to help to a degree. Check to see if you had that turned off.
Ok I had my doubts; that’s why I asked for independent verification. But today I couldn’t see any jerks; nothing anywhere near the strong jerk in my video. During previous observations I switched the follow on and off with no resolution, then I panicked and contacted you.
I’ll check it out again, run another flight and get back. You realize Ron and Martin are going to be disappointed...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: HOLD THE PRESSES! DUE TO THE INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION BY @brett8883, I DID FURTHER TESTING.
I was wrong, @brett8883 is correct, it is not fixed, and Ron Howard has fired me from his next movie.

I have my parameters set for a p-mode Yaw rate of 10. At that rate, there is still a jerk in the video but it is far less than a setting of 50. Although it IS in the video, it was hard to see in the flight, so that's where I got all excited and thought it was fixed. And these observation were made with the Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow both on and off.

Now here something I did not know and need further independent verification. I cannot produce the jerk with Sport mode on. My default yaw rate is 50, so I set it to 10 for another test. In both cases, I could not observe any kind of substantive jerk in the flight and video. Obviously a rate set at 10 is much smoother than 50. For me, Sport mode is not the answer to solve the problem. I need slower rates of forward and yaw speeds for good videos. And Sport is used solely to get out of bad wind situations, so I don't want to compromise my Sport mode.

Here are my settings...
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.15.12 PM.png

See if you have the same results in Sport.

Reactions: brett8883

Now here something I did not know and need further independent verification. I cannot produce the jerk with Sport mode on. My default yaw rate is 50, so I set it to 10 for another test. In both cases, I could not observe any kind of substantive jerk in the flight and video. Obviously a rate set at 10 is much smoother than 50. For me, Sport mode is not the answer to solve the problem. I need slower rates of forward and yaw speeds for good videos. And Sport is used solely to get out of bad wind situations, so I don't want to compromise my Sport mode.

Here are my settings...
View attachment 91756

See if you have the same results in Sport.
I’ve previously verified that sport mode does not have the issue as long as yaw_follow is switched off in the parameters, which it is turned off by default for sport mode. Turning off yaw_follow for normal mode in the parameters will also solve the issue for normal mode.

You have previously tried this per older discussions and decided that turning off yaw_follow in the parameters for normal mode solved this issue but the smoothness of the yaw was hindered by doing this. We did this experiment before my Super-Patcher mods allowed us to slow down the yaw speed below the factory minimum. Therefore it would be interesting to see if you still felt the same way now that you are able to.

Experiment: Turn off yaw_follow for the gimbal in normal mode from the parameters and see if you still feel like the yaw movement is an issue.

You can also experiment with adding additional yaw gain to see if that help stabilizes the yaw movement.

First try by increasing the yaw gain to 120 from within the app. Decrease until you feel like it’s too inconsistent again and then go back up a notch.

Additional yaw gain can be produced by increasing the yaw_gain in the parameters. Default yaw_gain is something like 35. Increase this value slowly, maybe 2.5-5 at a time. Do not increase more than say to 45 and if you hear a wining noise from the motors land immediately and lower the yaw gain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada