DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw stuttering

Blokksberg

Reactions
Hello Mavic Forum! I have a problem with my Mavic Pro. When i fly it and try to get cinematic footage, the camera stutters. It's not constant, just that every minute or so, the camera hesitates to turn. I don't know if it's the gimbal or the rotation of the aircraft, but it constantly ruins my shots. Thanks in advance :)

Flying the first generation mavic pro.

Last edited:
If you are panning with a yaw then the gimbal should not be moving. The drone is. Gimbal might be making slight adjustments in the hover. I say this because you can yaw the gimbal by swiping your finger across the middle is the DJIGO4 screen. I believe this works on the MP, I know it works on the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.

Are you seeing the jerky movement while flying or when reviewing the video?

Most basic video playback software may show some jerky movement But when you open the image in Finalcut Pro or Premiere Pro the yawing movement should smooth out. At least it does for me.

If you are seeing the jerky movement during filming you might try to recalibrate the gimbal, reset the camera, and or recalibrate the IMU.

Paul C

"Jerkiness" or stuttering is especially noticeable when yawing if the frame rate is set too high. Are you using ND filters to slow down the frame rate? What are the settings you are using for video?

If you post an example you might get more precise help.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If you are panning with a yaw then the gimbal should not be moving. The drone is. Gimbal might be making slight adjustments in the hover. I say this because you can yaw the gimbal by swiping your finger across the middle is the DJIGO4 screen. I believe this works on the MP, I know it works on the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.

Are you seeing the jerky movement while flying or when reviewing the video?

Most basic video playback software may show some jerky movement But when you open the image in Finalcut Pro or Premiere Pro the yawing movement should smooth out. At least it does for me.

If you are seeing the jerky movement during filming you might try to recalibrate the gimbal, reset the camera, and or recalibrate the IMU.

Paul C

It's definetly in the drone and not the playback sowtware. I use Hitfilm 4 Express to edit, and there the jerking still occurs.

"Jerkiness" or stuttering is especially noticeable when yawing if the frame rate is set too high. Are you using ND filters to slow down the frame rate? What are the settings you are using for video?

No i dont use ND filters. I'll post an example

I think you mean shutter speed.

I see what you are describing; it seems like the slow turn stops and starts. Not a shutter speed issue.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but since your turn is so slight your yaw stick may be right at the edge of a stop/start connection. Perhaps you can adjust the sensitivity of your stick by changing the rudder EXP setting so it takes more movement off center to change the yaw.

Stick inputs should show up in a log to verify whether the stop/start is being commanded by the RC.

Reactions: Blokksberg
This may be a bit of a stretch, but since your turn is so slight your yaw stick may be right at the edge of a stop/start connection. Perhaps you can adjust the sensitivity of your stick by changing the rudder EXP setting so it takes more movement off center to change the yaw.

Stick inputs should show up in a log to verify whether the stop/start is being commanded by the RC.

That seems like a good idea! I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the replies :)

Hello Mavic Forum! I have a problem with my Mavic Pro. When i fly it and try to get cinematic footage, the camera stutters. It's not constant, just that every minute or so, the camera hesitates to turn. I don't know if it's the gimbal or the rotation of the aircraft, but it constantly ruins my shots. Thanks in advance :)

Flying the first generation mavic pro.
If you use iOS it’s because there’s a bug in the iOS version of DJI Go 4 that causes the gimbal to jerk if you are yawing the aircraft and release the gimbal dial while still yawing the aircraft.

It only happens with DJI Go 4 and only on iOS

If you use iOS it’s because there’s a bug in the iOS version of DJI Go 4 that causes the gimbal to jerk if you are yawing the aircraft and release the gimbal dial while still yawing the aircraft.

Will updating help?

Can you be more specific about how to trigger the bug? Not sure what you mean by releasing the gimbal dial while still yawing, as the using gimbal dial is not normally part of yawing itself. Does this only happen when changing the gimbal elevation during yawing, and then leaving the gimbal in place for the rest of the yaw? Can you link to a video that shows what to look for, where it is happening? Is this only on the MP or also on the M2 on iOS GO 4?

Can you be more specific about how to trigger the bug? Not sure what you mean by releasing the gimbal dial while still yawing, as the using gimbal dial is not normally part of yawing itself. Does this only happen when changing the gimbal elevation during yawing, and then leaving the gimbal in place for the rest of the yaw? Can you link to a video that shows what to look for, where it is happening? Is this only on the MP or also on the M2 on iOS GO 4?
This guy made a good video about it

The password for the video is mavicpro

It’s an issue I’ve been chasing for while and I have pinpointed that the bug has been present in iOS starting in app versions after 4.1.8.

I don’t have an M2 so I don’t know but I haven’t heard anything about it happening with the M2

Thank you so much! I guess i'll just wait for an update
My best recommendation is get the Litchi app and use it while filming instead of the DJI Go 4 app.

At this point DJI isn’t going to fix it unless it is an accidental result of changing something else. DJI is aware of the problem but still they haven’t fixed it and sooner than later DJI will stop selling the Mavic Pro and this issue will do away entirely for them without having had to do anything. If it was easy they would have already done it and from a business perspective there aren’t enough people who use iOS, have a Mavic Pro, and notice the issue.

I know once you notice it is hard to believe most people don’t notice this but I don’t think they do.

This guy made a good video about it

The password for the video is mavicpro

It’s an issue I’ve been chasing for while and I have pinpointed that the bug has been present in iOS starting in app versions after 4.1.8.

I don’t have an M2 so I don’t know but I haven’t heard anything about it happening with the M2
Thanks for the detailed explanation and video links. I believe I have seen this odd behavior on the M2 once or twice as well, and didn't realize it was possibly due to that unique combination of events, assuming, instead, that it was just a random gimbal glitch. I haven't tried to reproduce it yet, using your description of how to trigger the bug, to confirm its existence on the M2. However, given that it is a GO 4 iOS bug, I have no reason to think it couldn't also affect the M2, as well, if they never fixed it on the MP or the MPP. I'm sure all three aircraft share a lot of the same iOS code in GO 4. If I can reproduce it deliberately, I'll report back. However, I would think I should have seen it much more frequently, as I do a lot of orbits while also adjusting and tweaking the gimbal elevation, and if it was consistent, it would have seriously annoyed me as well!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun